Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

New Savage Flux - Using Less than 25c lipo???

Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Savage Flux - Using Less than 25c lipo???

Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Adam Bailey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Savage Flux - Using Less than 25c lipo???

And pedelcast works for SMC?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Adam Bailey

So I just re-read those copies and nowhere is there misinformation? It actually really good info to have...

That basiclly says don't run cheap LiPo's and you get what you pay for, pretty smart info if I do say so, kudo's to that dude
Old 06-03-2009, 02:17 PM
Freezetron

ORIGINAL: Adam Bailey

And pedelcast works for SMC?
Pedel is the president of Castle Creations

Old 06-03-2009, 03:11 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: IceWindius

ORIGINAL: SureToCrash

The lhs assured me that despite the 18c the batteries would meet the esc's needs. I'll look into it further but for now that was the best in town, the 6500 40c are on order.

Your LHS informed you wrong and I am going to pass this info onto SMC rep on RCTech about their people giving false information.

Well i'm too new to the lipo's to argue, but I swear that is what I read from a SMC rep who posted on thread which I am looking for right now. As far as I know the battery would be ruined and not the esc according to the manual on page 7 under batteries.

Thank you for the heads up, gotta admit i'm worried now so i'll be looking into this further and please keep me posted on anything you may find out.

SureToCrash
Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
SureToCrash

I just spoke to a SMC rep and they stand by their claim that this 18c battery will not damage the esc or battery. He said he personally tested it and they also gotfeedback from HPI that theytested this batteryat arecent Tournement and found it to cause no problems whatsoever.

Call'em yourself guys, this is what they say.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:35 PM
kiddioo

I just spoke to a SMC rep and they stand by their claim that this 18c battery will not damage the esc or battery. He said he personally tested it and they also gotfeedback from HPI that theytested this batteryat arecent Tournement and found it to cause no problems whatsoever.

Will SMC warranty any damage done to the ESC from using the low C batteries?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Freezetron

Well heres my current information on this topic

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8822901/tm.htm
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: kiddioo

Will SMC warranty any damage done to the ESC from using the low C batteries?
He said thats a possibility but depends on the situation just like every warranty in the RC biz. Like I said though, he claims they recieved positive feeback from HPI about that battery so who knows, I guess time will tell.

I'll give feeback as I get it so stay tuned.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 PM
SureToCrash

New news. Now I spoke to HPI and they say do not use 18c it will damage the esc. SMC says its fine and feedback from HPI they say they got was positive.

So who's lying here???????? I'd put my money on SMC but who the hell knows. This thing is too exspensive to screw around with so now I don't know what to do.

Gotta say i'm pissed my lhs says this is fine, don't worry. I'll be talking to them at some length right away.

I'll give you thenews as I get it because someone must be wrong here.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
thzero

HPI does not make the ESC, nor the motor. All the "Flux" ESCs are rebadged Castle Creation (CC) products. CC is your best source of information, and Joe at CC is really very helpful.

New news. Now I spoke to HPI and they say do not use 18c it will damage the esc. SMC says its fine and feedback from HPI they say they got was positive.

So who's lying here???????? I'd put my money on SMC but who the hell knows. This thing is too exspensive to screw around with so now I don't know what to do.

Gotta say i'm pissed my lhs says this is fine, don't worry. I'll be talking to them at some length right away.

I'll give you thenews as I get it because someone must be wrong here.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the dude running the 18C packs......READ YOUR MANUAL! It clearly states 25C packs. I'd personally run at least 30Cs.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:19 PM
SureToCrash

I'm back from the lhs and I can't say in satisfied at the moment. The lhs assures me that the battery will not damage anything based on the logic that they sold nothing stronger than a 20c lipo to any customers that have yet boughta flux, over a dozen people, and they have yet to hear of a burnt out esc or damaged lipo. The BL expert at the lhs is only using 20c lipo's and has run his truck alot and has yet to have a problem. So basically I don't know what to do now, search forums and you will find many many people using less than 25c without problems so far.

One interesting thing the guy from SMC said was when HPI puts 62mph on the box they actually want people to achieve it so it's not a lie and thats most likely why they say only 3s 25c lipo's, anything less will not reach it. True or not, I don't know.

The lhs will most likely help me out if anything happens due to the fact if it does happen they will have many more esc's that will come back soon due to selling less than 25c lipo's on all their flux sales.

We'll see what happens. I think I'll contactCC and see what they say as everyone seems to be on a different page.Thanks to all for the heads up and replies. I will update if anything worth mentioning happens.

SureToCrash

Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 PM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: black mamba

To the dude running the 18C packs......READ YOUR MANUAL! It clearly states 25C packs. I'd personally run at least 30Cs.

Yes I did, and I read quite well. Did you know everthing that is written is not always true?

If there were any 25c lipo's in the city I would buy them.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Freezetron

Yes I did, and I read quite well. Did you know everthing that is written is not always true?
I HIGHLYsuggest you read my current thread about this

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/foru...smode_1/tt.htm

Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM
SureToCrash

I have and am quite unsure what to do, many are using less then 25c. Better safe then sorry I konw,but new lipo's are weeks away and im itching to make this thing fly. lol
Old 06-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Freezetron

Just remember thatYOUCANrun less then 25C, but HPI and Castle have stated its not recommened so it up to you if you wanna play the chance game. HPI will replace your ESC if you fry it, but it will be a lesson learned while you wait for a replacement.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:16 PM
black mamba

If there were any 25c lipo's in the city I would buy them.
Hey, I'm just tyring to help you as are the other guys here. Run those 18Cs and take your chances-that's on you. HPIclearly states 25C (min) is required. Good luck man and by the way, you are now our official under 25C battery pack stress tester. lol
Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM
black mamba

I have and am quite unsure what to do, many are using less then 25c. Better safe then sorry I konw,but new lipo's are weeks away and im itching to make this thing fly. lol
You sure about "many are using less than 25C" in the Flux? I don't know of anybody that is and I'm on 4 Savage-type forums. Again, all we are doing is trying to help you out. I'd personally ditch those 18C packs and get some that are at least 25C.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 PM
SureToCrash

You sure about "many are using less than 25C" in the Flux? I don't know of anybody that is and I'm on 4 Savage-type forums. Again, all we are doing is trying to help you out. I'd personally ditch those 18C packs and get some that are at least 25C.
My apologies, nerves were a little high strung about this. I thank you for your advice. I bought what the lhs had on hand and said was able to run the truck. I will buy better as soon as they are in stock, trust me.

I guess I am the official 18c tester. Stupid to do it? Probably, but I can't wait so lets see what happens.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:27 PM
black mamba

Let us know what happens or doesn't happen.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 PM
SureToCrash

Well I just ran it for the third time and did a little bashing and no smoking esc yet. I'm trying to take it easy on it by keeping it under half throttle, and compared to my old revo 3.3 theres much more power even at half throttle! The esc and batteries were only warm after the run and no broken parts thank goodness. My friend had his camera out of course so maybe i'll put the vid up so people can see a 18c can run and jump decently at only half throttle. Not that I recomend it.lol
Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 AM
The Truth

You guys need to CALM DOWN. There is no SMC misinformation here. SMC determines their C rating using a 90% retention under load rating method. Most other companies use 70 or 80%. This means that an 18C SMC could theoretically meet or exceed the C rate of another brand's 25 or 30C packs. SMC has the strictest lipo rating system in the industry. If they say it can be run, I would believe it.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
BANKRUPTER

ORIGINAL: The Truth

You guys need to CALM DOWN. There is no SMC misinformation here. SMC determines their C rating using a 90% retention underload rating method. Most other companies use 70 or 80%. This means that an 18C SMC could theoretically meet or exceed the C rate of another brand's 25 or 30C packs. SMC has the strictest lipo rating system in the industry. If they say it can be run, I would believe it.
+1 good people and great products out of SMCmy opinion is SMCratings are just that much better than the other guys ... 18Cacross the board is not the same. But if yea want more SMChas that covered too.

Brain and scott from SMCDOuse the 18C packs in thier trucks and have had no issues. These packs won the long jump at the world finals memorial day weekend scoring a Brain this truck here FTW

2500 buck prize won on them lil 18C's ! Truck sponserdand built by Hpisavagefourm

Savage xss kit-$358.00
Platinumrcproducts carbon fiber Extended TVP's -$178.44
HPI 87245 suspension conversion$155.00
hpi 77065 high speed 3rd gear-$9.00
hpi 87220 3 speed kit $50.00
HPI TF10 3 channel radio$50.00
HPI Hellfire Tank$13.00
HPI 17mm hub conversion-$40.00
Nova Motor mount$28.00
MPI 5470 led switch and charge jack-$12.00
hump pack from CED-$22.00
Extreme RC Mods did the engine mod -$125.00
rear wing . Blue Grove-$15.00
4x msr 8 shocks w/ upgraded spring kit-$80.00
Trinity clutch system$70.00
Proline bow tie tires.-$44.00
rims Blue Grooves$30.00
Tekno tkr1009 revo wing mount.$20.00
body Blue Groove$35.00
Glow Igniter-$20.00
Fuel-$35.00
Wingtote roller bag$130.00
4 6x10x3mm bearings for steering posts-$4.00
FLM45700 motor tray$20.00
Header spring tool-$7.99
Flex Tek lower arms-$170.00
Socket wrench-$24.99
GH Racing shock towers-$60.00
BUKU pipe$109.00
GH racing steering bell crank-$55.00
GH Racing 47 tooth 2 piece spur-$33.00
servos 2x 645 mg$60.00
Racers Edge 17 tooth titanium nitrate clutch bell-$20.00
Picco .28 (Modding above)$190.00
Stainless Steel Screws$25.00
8mm hex wrench-$8.99
Dual hex wrench set$69.99
Flywheel wrench-$10.00
Screw drivers$5.00
Fuel Bottle$11.00
Total= $2,403.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:47 AM
SureToCrash

ORIGINAL: BANKRUPTER

ORIGINAL: The Truth

You guys need to CALM DOWN. There is no SMC misinformation here. SMC determines their C rating using a 90% retention underload rating method. Most other companies use 70 or 80%. This means that an 18C SMC could theoretically meet or exceed the C rate of another brand's 25 or 30C packs. SMC has the strictest lipo rating system in the industry. If they say it can be run, I would believe it.
+1 good people and great products out of SMCmy opinion is SMCratings are just that much better than the other guys ... 18Cacross the board is not the same. But if yea want more SMChas that covered too.

Brain and scott from SMCDOuse the 18C packs in thier trucks and have had no issues. These packs won the long jump at the world finals memorial day weekend scoring a Brain this truck here FTW

2500 buck prize won on them lil 18C's ! Truck sponserdand built by Hpisavagefourm

Thanks for the replies guys. This is pretty much what SMC told me on the phone and you just confirmed it. Don't forget guys the manual says RECOMMENDED batteries not REQUIRED.

Not that I wouldn't behappier (and feel safer)running better packs of course.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:52 AM
BANKRUPTER

yea just as you run it harder keep a eye on the temps. It will tell you there is a issue b4 its too late. Dont go getting stupid with that 25 pinion too. Its a novelty item 4 sure ...

Run, run hard... Have FUN!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.