Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:31 AM
cmoulder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix Extra 330S 60-90 Size

"soft mounted the engine to the mounts using rubber bands. Left the firewall screws a bit loose,

Could you post a pic of this? Gotta admit that is a totally new idea to me!

As Rick mentioned, the aileron reflex trick is kind of a "dirty" (aerodynamically) temporary work-around for a wing incidence issue, and it will likely adversely affect the way the plane flies in various attitudes and throttle settings. Reducing the wing incidence by raising the wing TE 3/32", which is a super simple procedure I've described a couple of times in this thread, is something that has worked well for me on a couple of these planes.

I'm all for keeping it simple, but at the end of the process you want a plane that flies well and holds together. I have observed at my local field that the guys who keep it a little too simple by stuffing wires inside the fuse, not securing batteries properly, not making sure fuel tank clunks stay where they should, etc, etcad infinitum, are the guys who tend to crash a lot.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I ran across “all-battery.com” today. I have no idea what kind of place they are to do business with. However, it seems they have some decent prices and claim to be from Northern California.

Main page for RC Aircraft Transmitter and Receiver battery packs

http://www.all-battery.com/rcairplanebatteries.aspx

Look through here to find a few battery wire harnesses

http://www.all-battery.com/connectors.aspx

Old 06-03-2009, 03:08 PM
ctdannyd

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

"soft mounted the engine to the mounts using rubber bands. Left the firewall screws a bit loose,

Could you post a pic of this? Gotta admit that is a totally new idea to me!

As Rick mentioned, the aileron reflex trick is kind of a "dirty" (aerodynamically) temporary work-around for a wing incidence issue, and it will likely adversely affect the way the plane flies in various attitudes and throttle settings. Reducing the wing incidence by raising the wing TE 3/32", which is a super simple procedure I've described a couple of times in this thread, is something that has worked well for me on a couple of these planes.

I'm all for keeping it simple, but at the end of the process you want a plane that flies well and holds together. I have observed at my local field that the guys who keep it a little too simple by stuffing wires inside the fuse, not securing batteries properly, not making sure fuel tank clunks stay where they should, etc, etcad infinitum, are the guys who tend to crash a lot.

Hey Bob...

"Dirty" ... Well, I guess from a purest reference that's true. Much like electrics will never make it... ;-) !! But from a flying perspective, I see nothing odd with this set up. In fact I may dial in another half turn. I'm not an ace pilot by any stretch, but, we do have some competition capable flyers in our club, and I'm gonna have one of them put the Extra through it's paces this weekend. If, as you say, there IS a design problem with this model, has anyone let Phoenix know?? Seems like if this could be a drilling jig that got moved, they'd love to know. Save us a lot of time, and make there plane a star out of the box.

As to your second comment, I'm into keeping it simple, not unsafe and stupid. If anything, I'm too much a stickler to these kinds of things. Right down to putting up my freqency pin and AMA card on the field impound, even if I'm the only flyer at the field!!

Dan
Old 06-03-2009, 04:24 PM
cmoulder

Hi, Dan,

I didn't mean to get off on the wrong foot and I realize that using a pejorative term like "dirty" might give the wrong impression, hence the quotation marks. "Dirty" - asyou probablyknow - is a sermi-technical term in aerodynamics and was used purely in that sense.

I have not notified Phoenix of the wing incidence issue, and I don't know if anyone else might have. Probably wouldn't make any difference now as they've produced hundreds, if not thousands, of these models and are not going to change their production for this one little problem. But I do wonder how many guys have just retired this model to the garage or attic because it doesn't fly correctly without the modifications. Most of the guys who participated early in this thread have not posted in a long time, so I suspect that might be the case.

But the fact that you yourself experienced the same problem I and some (perhaps many... all?) others have experienced is proof enough that there is a wingincidence problem. I noticed it right away and made a simple adjustment to the wing incidence and it worked well - the plane flies perfectly with neutral trims, asa plane should fly. You chose to mask the problem, and I chose to fix it.

I'm not saying you (or anyone else) are wrong and I'm right, but rather that I am happier after I've addressed the root of the problem. Hey, it's your plane and if you're satisfied with the way it flies, then more power to you.

But I still want to see a photo of the engine mounted with rubber bands. That is truly a first as far as I know..

Old 06-04-2009, 08:30 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Guys,
In the spirit of a good debate I am going to put in my two cents on the incidence deal with this plane. No reference of right or wrong is intended. Just given an opinion and some explanation to why I think that way.
First, as I have said before this plane will fly right out of the box. I am not bashing the airplane in any way. But in the interest of improving its flight characteristics, there are things that can be done.
I am sure that most every body that has flown one of these knows what this discussion is all about. At low throttle the airplane will not pitch down into a normal descending flight path on its own. This characteristic is not normal for any aircraft. Yes, this can be trimmed out in a number of ways. That of course leads to all this “Debate”.
Another thing that adds to different opinions with this airplane is its general set-up versatility. What I mean is you can set this plane up with a .60 move the CG forward slightly, use mild control throws and have a nice flying second airplane. You can set it up with the crazy throws listed in the manual with the CG aft, lots of horse power on the nose and have a 3D capable machine. Not to mention the plane can be somewhere in the middle of those. Let me assure you, you can not have a crazy 3D machine and a mild flyer all in the same set-up…..
I have not contacted Phoenix about this airplane to discuss the possibility that there might be a problem. The reason is I have no idea how to contact them….No web site, no phone numbers, no email address… You can not even get a copy of the manual to look at before you buy it. (You can on this thread by the way). Sure I could talk to Tower but if they don’t own the company, that would be about the same as calling my local hobby shop. I am sure we all know what good that will do me.
I have helped with one of these planes that built out (measured three ways from Sunday) with 0° incidence on the wing and stab with the canopy/fuselage mounting surface set at 0° for a reference. On this particular plane the up/down thrust is at 0°. Somewhere in this thread I posted some pictures of the measuring set-up. It indeed has the flight condition explained above.
Combined with all I have read and experienced I personally feel that the problem (or should I say the area for improvement) is actually in the horizontal stabilizer incidence. I will be/have modified mine to have 1/2 to 1° positive incidence (up in front) on the stab. Until I finish putting mine together I won’t be able to report how this affects flight.
But, if you have already built this plane and have the problem described above adjusting the stab is not a good option. So making an adjustment on the wing is easy and will accomplish almost exactly the same thing. If you don’t like the adjustment, it is easy to put back.
With out a doubt adjusting the ailerons to kill lift is even easier yet. For normal flight, I am sure this (within reason) works just as good as anything. But, I don’t like advising the use of this and I will try explain at least partially why. Now keep in mind this assumes that the ailerons are in exactly neutral position to start with.
Aerodynamically you are creating a premature stall condition when you start adjusting the ailerons up, or down for that matter, out of the normal airflow. In a given situation with the airplane being put through a particular maneuver this stall condition can be exaggerated to the point that the wing quits working. One example is the high speed wing stall. There are indeed several things that can cause this with out a doubt. But, improperly adjusted ailerons can for sure. Make no mistake, improper wing or stab incidence can also cause high speed stalls as well as balance problems.
These airplanes, most airplanes, are forgiving in their set up and incidences to some degree. But when you start intentionally coupling trim settings to make up for bad flight conditions you create other hidden problems. This almost always creates unexpected stalls at the wrong time.
Example…. If you have a plane you are comfortable with particularly one that couples roll with rudder, try this experiment. Assuming you are familiar with the flight characteristic when properly trimmed; adjust the rudder trim to the right enough to make the plane roll. Now adjust the ailerons to the left enough to keep it from rolling. Now fly around and compare how crappy the plane flies in comparison.
Now, I am not going to say a small adjustment to the ailerons is going to cause some catastrophic crash. I am just trying to point out in my opinion it creates another problem while fixing one.
Why go through all this typing on this thread? Because it seems that quite a few newer pilots buy and fly one of these planes. Imagine this is a newbie’s second or third plane no help at the flying field and they read adjusting the ailerons up is good. They try it and maybe it helps a little. So, next flight, adjust a little more. Take off bank for that first turn start cranking on the elevator and boom…Plane snaps right into the ground. High speed stall. This guy walks away blaming the airplane for being a piece of……Might even go home and throw everything in the trash to never fly again. I don’t like to see that happen.
For me this airplane is a quest to see if I can make it into something different than what Phoenix created. For many it is just a plane. Not a thing wrong with that! I am just sharing my experiences in the pretence that in some way it might give somebody else in the hobby ideas on what they could do with there stuff. Also, hopefully, it sparks others to share their Ideas so that I can learn from their experience. Is that not what these forums are all about?
Sorry for the book…
Old 06-04-2009, 12:27 PM
richlstubbz

Wish I could explain how the plane feels without the adjustments to the incidences. I am just flying my as is for a while to get a feel for it. Maybe change mine later.
For now it feels good, it’s not like any of the other planes I have flown.
Though the longer I fly it like it is, I think I become more and more oblivious to the problems it has and just mold my style into the planes habits.
I need about a dozen or more flights on this before I can make a call.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:56 PM
cmoulder

If it requires elevator downtrim to maintain straight and level flight at 3/4 throttle, then there is a problem with the incidence.

Mine required significant elevator downtrim (as in 3-4 degrees) to maintain level flight.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:17 AM
richlstubbz

ORIGINAL: cmoulder

If it requires elevator downtrim to maintain straight and level flight at 3/4 throttle, then there is a problem with the incidence.

Mine required significant elevator downtrim (as in 3-4 degrees) to maintain level flight.
I wish i had a field near by so i can go check. Iwill take a look at the controls but i do believe there is some down trim in it.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:47 PM
russmhunt

is $400 asking too much for this plane rtf with o.s.91 fx with pitts muffler and ds 821 servos

150 for bird
250 for motor and muffler
85 for servos
$??? for all the extra stuff  heavy duty servo arms extensions etc etc

i'd even throw in an 92777 receiver
Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM
cmoulder

Russ, unless you plan to get out of the hobby altogether, perhaps consider storing your Extra until you get back. If you plan to stay with flying, when you get back you'll have to make the purchases all over again and take the time again to assemble the plane, and it will likely cost more. I just put an OS .61FX into a plane and it worked perfectly right off the bat even though it had been stored in the attic in a plastic bag for 3 years, so it isn't as if the engines are delicate perishables.

Just something to think about. I know everybody has his own needs and requirements at the time, but it is something to consider.

But to answer your question, your asking price for your RTF Extra seems fair to me.

We all wish you the best, appreciate the hardships you endure, and hope to see you back Stateside soon.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 PM
russmhunt

I wish I was close to you location wise, you seem like a cool guy and it is guys like you that keep me intrested in this hobby,good suggextion b/c the first time I deployed I left all my stff in the shed and shure enough Igot back into the hobby. I hope in the future I run across a guy like you that has the time to teach me and I can learn from, i've learned alot from you just over the internet. I'll alway's remember you just as if you were a battle buddy thanks bro Imight just keep my stuff now
Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 PM
cmoulder

Rick, that was an excellent, concisely and tactfullystated synopsis!

Good conclusion, and it reminded me of something a very good pilot once told me: "You'll never regret doing things the right way."
Old 06-05-2009, 11:22 PM
cmoulder

Russ, wow a very nice thing to say. Much appreciated.

I am honored to have been able to assist and hope to be here to get you back up to speed when you return.

I understand a little bit about your situation because I was once a young military man, though in the relative safety of the Air Force and not in a war zone. Even so, it was difficult to maintain continuity with any hobby pursuits. In fact, I first got into R/C in Okinawa in 1977, for about a year. Back then, it was sink or swim because I didn't have any real friends with any interest in my success, so I crashed a lot and then got sent to Korea in January of 1979 and that was it for me. Until Nov 2005, when I discovered there was an R/C field about a mile from where I live. Actually heard the engines off in the distance from our deck, and one day stopped by while riding my mountain bike. So that's how I got back into it. It is a great hobby, full of nice and helpful people -and a lot of "characters"-and I hope you don't have to wait 26 years to get back into it!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:24 AM
aa2dd

Questions ...

assembling my Phoenix 330 and have a question on the aileron pushrod assembly. Has anyone had any problem with the carbon fiber rod and the control rod ends coming apart when glued with CA? I have never glued C/F to rod ends with CA and am a bit nervous about it. Has anyone tried using JBWeld? Help me guys!!!!

Bruce

AA2DD
Old 06-06-2009, 11:38 AM
russmhunt

use 30 min epoxy and use tight rubber bands to hold it all together it will not fail
Old 06-06-2009, 04:48 PM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

I use JB weld and it gives a VERY strong bond.

Also, I get my pushrod ends from www.connectorsRC.com.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81610.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1212810  
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 AM
cmoulder

I used CA on mine and they've held tight for many, many flights... with a 4-stroke engine.

ORIGINAL: aa2dd

Questions ...

assembling my Phoenix 330 and have a question on the aileron pushrod assembly. Has anyone had any problem with the carbon fiber rod and the control rod ends coming apart when glued with CA? I have never glued C/F to rod ends with CA and am a bit nervous about it. Has anyone tried using JBWeld? Help me guys!!!!

Bruce

AA2DD
Old 06-07-2009, 09:23 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

Are you using the ones from central hobbies? The ones that go inside the CFrod?
Old 06-07-2009, 09:43 AM
cmoulder

No, just using the stock ones. They have a very snug mechanical fit (i.e. they're tight to start with) and the holes in the sides of the socket permit moreCA to be dripped in.

In larger planes I have actually had the sockets come off the rods, despite being glued with CA, epoxy and JB Weld.

If I really want them to stay, I glue them and then drill a small hole (2-56 size) all the way through the socket and the rod, and secure a 2-56 bolt with red Loctite. The photo below is the only one I have that shows this, but these are the only socket/CFrod combinations that I really feel confident about.

ORIGINAL: tmproff

Are you using the ones from central hobbies? The ones that go inside the CFrod?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18921.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	1213252  
Old 06-07-2009, 10:10 AM
min$2crash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ctdannyd

Hey guys,

After setting up the CG, I too had a hell of a problem with it trying to maintain a nose up attitude at low speed.
............I do have the plane quite nose heavy as well, but this combo makes it now creep in straight parallel to the ground and floated nicely to the ground.
CTDANNYD:

A nose heavy plane will often have a nose high attitude when flying straight and level,my old Ace Seamaster used to do that before Imoved the CG back. I'd suggest that you get your CG (dry CG, that is, no fuel)at least back to the kit recommendationsbefore worrying about the nose high attitude.... it will fly like a baby at the kit CGtarget. This is the first plane that I have ever owned that actually flew well (inverted minimal push) at the mfr's recommended CG! I have a 13oz Hayes tank squeezed in and that ~10oz of fuel weight doesn't seem to change flight characteristics much. One of my buddies has one of these and put the fuel tank closer to the CG so that his CGwouldn't change as much with fuel level. I understand that this is all the rage in TOCand IMAC.... but I'm happy using the stock tank location.

It strikes me that someof what is going on here is that this plane issolight for its wing area, that it needs to land veryslowly- which means nose up to maintain lift. Something like every landingapproaches a harrier landing. But most other glow planes are heavier on the wing, so this one looks strange to us. I am not debating that the alignment issues are in playas well (flame shields up!), butmylighter foamies (for indoor) that have wheels will also either bounce on landing, or land nose high. This is probably part of the problem as well. As Rick pointed out- its still a great flying plane and this is really a minor issue, so remember to have fun!

Do you have downtrim for straight and level flight at 1/2 throttleor is the elevator at neutralas trimmed? This could bea sign.
With nose heavy, you mayhave be trimmed to slight up elevator for straight and level to haul the extra noseweight up. I know my Seamaster needed that until I moved the CG.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:50 AM
min$2crash

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ctdannyd

"Dirty" ... Well, I guess from a purest reference that's true. Much like electrics will never make it... ;-) !! But from a flying perspective, I see nothing odd with this set up. In fact I may dial in another half turn. I'm not an ace pilot by any stretch, but, we do have some competition capable flyers in our club, and I'm gonna have one of them put the Extra through it's paces this weekend. If, as you say, there IS a design problem with this model, has anyone let Phoenix know?? Seems like if this could be a drilling jig that got moved, they'd love to know. Save us a lot of time, and make there plane a star out of the box.

As to your second comment, I'm into keeping it simple, not unsafe and stupid. If anything, I'm too much a stickler to these kinds of things. Right down to putting up my freqency pin and AMA card on the field impound, even if I'm the only flyer at the field!!

Dan
DAN:
If your only problem is nose up at low speeds- like landing, I would definitely recommend putting this "ailerons up" adjustment on a switch, so that you can put the ailerons at neutral for normal flying. We may be misinterpreting your words- but it sounds like your ailerons are a tad up ALL the time.
I am flyingwith neutral ailerons (not up) and find that the plane is GREAT at flying upside down and sideways with the ailerons at true neutral position. I wouldn't want to sacrifice those modes of flight just for landing pitch attitude. If you just want to keep flying as is, you shouldbe fine as long as you don't YANK it- I have done a few gentle "takeoff and turns" with 12mm of spoilerons and it just takes a little more speed to lift off and more power to climb. But when you flip it over like that- whoa- now they're flaps!! Rick makes a good point**thatfull time aileron reflexis a funky way out and will probably bite you someday. My vote is to use the flap switch/knob and flaperon mixingto trigger an ailerons up landing mode that's what its there for. Some of my flying buddies have put the mix into their throttle so that the spoilerons kick in below 1/4 throttle. I personally wouldn't want this to kick in on downlines....DOH!

THISPLANEFLIESGREAT! Finally got my first dead calm flying in yesterday with 25 trim/adjust flights in the past few weeks. WOW. Can't get it to tailslide on anything but low rates, though and even then it only for a few feet before she flops out. I thought it was the wind.... but now I know its me. I think my foamie tailslide skills are making me get too far ahead of the plane a.k.a overcontrolling.

**(no apologies needed for your excellent synoposis in "the book", Rick- consider the source!)
Old 06-07-2009, 05:57 PM
aa2dd

Well, I done the aileron rods today. Had the CA bottle, J-B Weld and Epoxy all setting on the bench. could not make up mind, so spun the bottle and ended up using epoxy. maybe i'll use J-B Weld on the elevators. anyhow, thanks for the help guys.

Bruce

AA2DD
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

ORIGINAL: aa2dd

.......................... Had the CA bottle, J-B Weld and Epoxy all setting on the bench. could not make up mind, so spun the bottle and ended up using epoxy..........

Bruce

AA2DD

Bruce,
Welcome aboard. Although a couple days late………..That’s about how I felt with the control rods on this thing. I almost threw it all away and used threaded rod and solder connectors. In the end I have used the CA to glue them. Only time will tell if it holds up and whether or not I did it right.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:44 AM
richlstubbz

I sure do hope the CA holds up!! I don’t want to go splat!!

I did some more flying on mine it is to the point wereI will just have to do the Wing incidence adjust just to see how it feels. Right now it doesn’t seem bad at all(making good landings not seeing anything odd happing in the air). Though again we had a windy day 10-15mph so it wasn’t ideal weather for getting a good feel for how the plane works.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

……... Sure I could talk to Tower but if they don’t own the company, that would be about the same as calling my local hobby shop……..
Also, FYI, I did call Tower and Talk to them about this airplane but on a different subject. I was trying to get a phenolic (cardboard) wing tube support. The one that is glued in the fuse. I even ask if there was a way to get in touch with the manufacturer for one of these. No such luck.
They were more than willing to send me a new fuse because of the tube not being square to the fuse. I just wanted the tube and told them not to bother. I did eventually find a place on the internet to buy the right size tube and the company had nothing to do with RC. In the end I (and Rich) salvaged the ones that came in our planes.
Here is the link to phenolic tubes. Thematerial is +/- 36” long.
Aircraft spruce has it for a lot more $ per foot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.