Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

STAR WARS Tie-Fighter Interceptor Build?

Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

STAR WARS Tie-Fighter Interceptor Build?

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: STAR WARS Tie-Fighter Interceptor Build?

Oh nice on the Star Destroyer. I seen that one on YouTube. Good looking ship! May have to try one of those on next project. Always looking for something else to build.

So anyways I got to fly it finally. The power is plenty and this thing took right off and climbed pretty quick. I made a circle then it happened. It went inverted and started going into what looks like a upside down flat-spin but with no loose in altitude.  I knew right away what it was. I encountered this on my test model a LOT and come to find out it was tail heavy. I  backed off the throttle and it came back down and settled or crashed in slow motion.

So basically with it tail heavy and loosing it you wont damage it lol. It comes down so slow, pretty weird looking. So anyways I moved the CG as far forward as I could and went up again. Right away it was a day and night difference it flew much better. I went out did a big circle and headed back to where I was at. I came closs to the neighbors shed so I pulled up and climed out. But as it climed it kept climing and flipped back over inverted and I had a repeat of that flat spin. Except this time I smacked the side of the shed..oops Didnt mean to do that.

So now back in the hanger as I had to glue back on my front stabilizer. One of the sides came loose on it. Also my little black windshield came loose also. No biggie I got them glued back on and its ready to go again. Just ran out of day light after I got done messing with it.

But I do need to get more weight into the nose some. I guess I will have to suck it up and add some weight. I really hate doing that but looks like I have to. I may try a larger battery, would be a good reason to go up in mah. I think they are a tad heavier so should work out. So all in all was sucessful failure I think. I did crash  but it was so minor and now I know what tweaks I need to do. My CG mark was off a little but not to bad.

It did look cool as hell flying around though I have to say! You cant see the front stab or the ones in rear as much as I thought it would. After I get it right I may add some of those bright LED's two red ones in the cockpit on bottom, fake lasers haha.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:46 AM
CWHFSR

Good job getting it flying! Once you get the CG all figured out you should post a new picture of everything, also mention where the CG is located.

I need to get back into practice flying again, then I will try getting this built in the next couple of weeks/months!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:00 AM
TowerZach

What batt are you using now (the one that you test flew it with)?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:11 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I will get that CG set. Looks like I need a little bit more and it should be set. I will probably have to wait till this weekend to mess with it again. Working long hours and its taking a toll on me. Bummer cause I really want to get that thing set.  I will definitely get some pictures up at least, it looks to cool in the air.

As for my battery yes I started out with the one I used on my test model. But after seeing how the power went down greatly I am now using another one with same rating that has a ton more power. Not sure what happened to the other battery. But going with the one that works for now. That is the one I used last night and am satisfied with the power. Getting closer though!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM
TowerZach

Oh, sorry, I was asking what the batt. rating and voltage was .
Old 06-03-2009, 06:13 PM
FlooredCOBRA

11.1 VOLT 3s 1320 Mah and 20c. next i will go up in run time. I need the weight.

And another quick picture. not sure if I posted this one yet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91559.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1211483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57545.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1211484  
Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Ion01

The extra detail looks so nice! I can't wait to see a video. Also, where is the CG located on your hydroplane?
Old 06-05-2009, 06:55 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Hey thanks! The detail was pretty easy, I just used black spray paint and my finger. I sprayed on a scrap piece of foam and let it puddle up. Then  dipped finger and smeared it across. Cheap and easy haha.

As for the CG. Well it was weird finding it. I see on others they measure from the very tip of the boat and go back from there. I would have thought you would measure from the LE of the wing. This is kind of what I ended up going with.

But here is two measurements:

4 1/4 from the LE
9 1/4 from the very tip of the entire boat which is the sponsoons  or pontoons not sure what to call those.

Hope that helps
Old 06-07-2009, 06:58 PM
FlooredCOBRA

She flies!! I got the CG located dead on and juts got back from flying. Flies just like my other one very smooth and easy. Looks awesome to in the air I keep saying that but just something you dont see everyday lol.

It is under powered though with the extra weight I had to add to balance. It was a bit scary at times not having that extra power on reserve at hand. After flyng everything with plenty of power this feels kind of weird. I am going to have to buy a new power plant set up to be happy with it. I love the way it handles but with the low power with the added weight it wont be to much fun and will take to long to climb out.

This will be an easy fix and so far really happy with the Tie-Fighter.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:49 AM
TowerZach

Glad to hear you're having fun with it!  Good luck on upgrading the power.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
CWHFSR

Congrats on getting it flying!  I will try and build one at some point but have had to put a delay on anything for right now because of not having any time!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Ion01

That is awesome! Ihope you can get some video soon! I can't wait to see that thing in action.

You could fly strafing runs on something and edit the video with it shooting some lasers!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:48 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I hope to put some videos up soon. I had problems with my digital camera so I sent it back. just yesterday I was informed that it was going to be $129 to fix it. What a rip off! So needless to say I went ahead bought another one. It should be here sometime next week.

I also ordered new ESC motor and battery and that should be here either tomorrow or by next week. So I am pretty excited to hear that UPS truck coming down the road. But unfortunately I will be out of town due to work the whole week so wont be home until the next weekend. Bummer. But soon I will have the new stuff installed and some videos up. Should be fun!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I got home and checked the mail and there was a small box. I about flipped out it was my motor esc and battery. I had just ordered it on Tuesday and it is here already. Sweet!! very excited. It is a darn good looking motor to really like it.

I have the battery charging now and will mess around with the motor location next. it is a tad heavier over all and with the bigger battery. So that means my CG will have t be adjusted again. I will have to shorted the length of the motor shaft which is good with me. I never liked it sticking way out there like it did. So it will look better with it shorter and more like my test model was.

Now I just need to think of a way to mount it. On the E-Flight450 it had a stick mount which made it easy. On this one if has the cross "X" mount so I will have to glue on a backplate or something. I will figure something out though. So should be back up in the air by tomorrow if not Sunday for sure. If I get off early enough tomorrow I will give it a shot.

Oh yeah wanted to thank Tower Zack for the link on that website. The price was awesome and the shipping was very fast. My kind of people!!

Name:	Wt58895.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1217039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48417.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1217040  
Old 06-12-2009, 08:54 PM
TowerZach

Yeah, go headsuprc.com!  IDK if they have a stick mount for that motor but you could check.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:57 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Okay so heres an update. I been out of town for the past week and just got home last night. Going to leave Monday morning so wont be able to do more flying until then.

Finally I had the chance to mount my new motor and give it a shot. Right before I left I made up my motor mount hardware and put everything together and let the glue dry. Well a full week later I am back home and was able to bolt it together. The motor mount for this motor was an "X" mount. I had to think up of a way to mount that onto a hollow carbon rod. I came up with what I thought was a cool idea and it worked out pretty well I think. I will post some pictures if others have a need to mount from an "X" to a rod.

I went to Home Depot and bought an assortment of plastic funnels. I chopped off the main part of the funnel and kept the thin narrow part. I went with the funnel because that allowed me to adjust the size of the opening to go on the carbon rod by cutting off a section. I made round foam donuts funnel shaped and put those inside to keep it from wobbling. I held those in with Gorilla Glue. The motor plate I made out of thin ply and double layered it. Cut it into a circle and bolted motor right to that. I glued on 4 wedge shaped blocks for the screws to set into once inside the funnel. Looks pretty good and feels pretty solid. So that solved my motor mount problem.

Okay so as for flying. I had to wait all day long for the wind to die down. Finally right before sun down the wind calmed down enough to get a flight in. With my CG set new motor mounted and fully charged battery I powered up. This new motor has some serious power! At half throttle I could let go and it would hover. Well if I had rudders it could haha. I blasted full throttle to feel how hard it pulled and when I did it blew off my canopies. lol. So I need to add some more magnets to keep those on.

Okay as for the flying. Right off i seen that I need to adjust my motor thrust angel. I thought I had it where it was before but it was a tad to high. Not a problem I can easily fix that. But with it nose up I could not use very much throttle without it wanting to loop over. I had to use a good bit of down elevator to keep it level when adding throttle so there was a bit of porpoising. But like I said an easy fix and cant wait to get it worked out.

I flew around a bit then decided to come in to land. This is where it got tricky. Before I was able to keep it high alpha and keep the throttle on and mush it in and settle on its tail. But this time I more or less had to come in with no power. Every time I added power I wanted to nose up and it was just weird so the power off method is what I went with with a rough landing. I don't like not having throttle control on landings but after my motor is adjusted down some that will fix that.

I did get a video with my phone. I had my son take it while I flew around. The quality is horrible but that is all I have for right now. I will get some higher resolution ones here soon and post those on You Tube. But here is a video for now. You can notice the canopies are off but it still has the shape in the air. Everything was pretty much invisible on the parts I tried to so it looked pretty good in the air. So heres the video and some pictures of my motor mount.

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Tie-Fighter-Interceptor

Name:	Yw68846.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	1222282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78344.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1222283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23965.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	1222284  
Old 06-21-2009, 09:59 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I had just uploaded the video so maybe that is why it is not showing yet. Hmmm
Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 AM
CWHFSR

Very neat idea on mounting the motor!  Have to run to work so can't watch any videos but I'll look later tonight.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:36 AM
TowerZach

Right off i seen that I need to adjust my motor thrust angel.
LOL, I didn't know that motor thrust had a guardian angel...Or was that the angle.
No offence, the plane flies great.  Once you get her adjusted, you're going to have an unhealthy addiction
Old 06-24-2009, 09:24 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Yeah I had an angel in it lol. For some reason I cant see the video. I can see other peoples videos but not mine. And I see it is working because someone left a comment. Odd

But anyways back in town and will be here to stay now. I am pretty excited to mess around with it again and adjust the thrust and get it right. I ordered some digital servos to use instead of the ones I have in there. After looking at the elevons and how big they were I would really hate to crash it due to a servo stripping out or being to weak.

I will have to check CG again I guess but hopefully it wont be to off. I have a little play on where I can put the battery. I can slide it up or down on the tray it is attached to. But this weekend should be fun!
Old 07-23-2009, 07:08 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Quick update. I made a video the other day with my son finally. It has been a while but we have something for the time being.

We got a video but I am sorry for the low quality and the length. I got the camera but forgot about the memory card so we had to lower the video quality for more time. But it gives you an idea more or less. This weekend I will make a high res video much longer and have more detail. But the Tie Fighter is still flying and having a blast with it!

Oh yeah on the video, note I am flying with only half the canopy. The bottom half needs to be adjusted some more. It keeps blowing off when I throttle up. OOPS! I need to move the magnet back some and it should be fine I think. Need to tinker with it some more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAjRc4iCRGk
Old 08-02-2009, 11:56 AM
FlooredCOBRA

My son and I got another video made. This time it is longer since I got the memory card in the camera. But at the time I had forgot to turn the resolution back up so once again low quality.. Oops. We will make one more today in better quality and get that posted.

This video here you can see it a bit better. On this video I have both canopies on so it has that shape and looks correct now. I did not have my front nose gear on and you can see how it tips over when I land. But I have that all squared away now.

I made a few changes since last time. I cut off all those nasty white zip ties and replaced with black ones. I added some High Intensity Red LED's I got from Radio Shack to act as the bottom laser cannons. I kind of goofed on that and got red instead of green like the movie. But ah well it will have to do they are in now. That and I couldn't find green when I went back to Radio Shack. I have these wired in parallel into two small 3 volt watch type batteries and a push button switch. Right now it does not work since the switch is to stiff for the small servo to move it. I was looking for a small black switch relay type with the long metal arm. Once I fond one of those I will use that and then be able to use from my radio. So for now I have to push button with my finger lol.

Hope you enjoy the video. There is now music or anything to it just flying. Once I make a higher res video I will add some music to it and make it look better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esGXIJYhbls
Old 08-02-2009, 12:27 PM
CWHFSR

Wow it flies pretty slow! (that is good).

Looks like it was pretty easy going. Good job!
Old 08-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

VERY COOL.
You should be building and selling them