Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

AR 7000 Receiver Failure ??????????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

AR 7000 Receiver Failure ??????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:52 AM
jtdavis69
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR 7000 Receiver Failure ??????????

So, about a month ago, I purchased a Spektrum DX 7 radio system, DX 7 Tx, AR 7000 receiver with four digital servos, at a local hobby shop. Over the past month I have been repairing a Sig Kadet Senior and in the process have had the receiver and servos connected and working on several different occasions. Yesterday I was doing some final checks on my control surface set up. I turned the receiver off to make an adjustment to the left aileron and when I turned the system back on......nothing. No lights on my receiver, no movement of the servos. My flight battery is fully charged, and the power switch checks out ok. So it would seem that the receiver is bad. I guess I'll just be glad the failure happened on the ground and not in the air.
So, now I have to send the receiver in to Horizon for repair or replacement, and hope they honor their warranty. And, if I want to fly while they're doing their thing, I have to shell out extra $$$$ for another receiver.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: AR 7000 Receiver Failure ??????????

Could it be the switch? or perhaps you lost the bind..... Don't give up on the receiver just yet....
Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM
jtdavis69

The switch checks out ok with my VOM and I tried re-binding but get no different response. It's the lack of lights on the receiver that makes me think the receiver is bad, since I had all of the usual lights previously.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:37 AM
goirish

A dumb question.......did you turn the rx off first?  I agree,  it sounds like you lost the bind.  Try rebinding.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 AM
pdm52956

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems to me, and by no means am I an expert, that if there aren't any lights at all then I would suspect the rx.  Even if you lost the bind, the LED on the rx should at least flash if nothing else and since you checked the switch to see if power was getting past it, what else could it be?  If there is something else causing it, I sure would like to learn what it is in case I ever come across the same situation.

I would probably send the rx to be checked out.  Then again, that's just me.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:33 AM
Popriv

I went through a similar situation.
Check the battery and try rebinding...

steve
Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 AM
opjose

If I recall correctly, the LED light does NOT come on if the receiver is not bound and the bind plug is not connected.

I went through the same thing a few times and I thought my receiver was bad.

Once, it merely failed to boot up. Turning it off and back on cured that.

Another my battery power was too low and it failed to boot. Oops a recharge fixed that.

Finally I found that it had lost the bind, and rebinding it solved the problem.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:14 AM
pdm52956

Well, that's good to know.  Guess I never paid attention to that.  Just figured that as long as there was power to the rx, the LED would flash if not bound and go solid once it was bound.  Learn something new every day.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:28 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

The spektrum binding issues are pretty scary. I just got a dx6i so that I only have to pay 60 for a new 5 channel rx but now I have to mount it where I can see if it binds every time I fly it.

I noticed with my pz corsair that if you turn of the tx then back on it will lose connection and you have to turn off the rx as well and then turn it back on to get it to rebind.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM
bruce88123

Measure for battery voltage at ANY of the servo locations on the RX. You should see the full battery voltage there. Obviously be careful not to short out the RX with your probes. An even safer method would be to plug in a Volt-Watch device. At least this way you would know you are getting power into the RX under load. Now you are only guessing.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:41 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: brett65

The spektrum binding issues are pretty scary. I just got a dx6i so that I only have to pay 60 for a new 5 channel rx but now I have to mount it where I can see if it binds every time I fly it.
Once you get used to how things work, it is not a big deal.

The first time I saw the RX not respond I thought that it was problematic.

However now that I know to look for a response a few seconds after I turn on the RX / PLANE, I've gotten used to it.

If the plane fails to respond, merely shut things off, and restart both the TX and RX.

Once the plane responds properly things are rock solid.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:33 PM
jtdavis69

Thanks for all the greatinfo !!!!! I will go over everything with these suggestions in mindagain tonight. My cheif concern for my rx is that with the bind plug attached, the lights on the rx do not come on or flash when I turn on the power. Shouldn't the lights do something?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 PM
brett65

ORIGINAL: opjose

However now that I know to look for a response a few seconds after I turn on the RX / PLANE, I've gotten used to it.

If the plane fails to respond, merely shut things off, and restart both the TX and RX.

I have seen my pz corsair respond just like it should but the rx LED will continue to blink. Doesn't that mean that it will recieve a signal from any tx when it does that?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 PM
matador_24

try not using the switch. Turn Off the transmitter,nextjust plug the BIND first to the BIND/BAT channel and then plug the battery into another channel plug... that should give you the flashing light....

Just a suggestion, MAKE SURE the polarity of the plugs and the plugs in the receiver, sometimes you can accidently plug it reverse, try that, the same thing with the bind...
Old 06-17-2009, 12:47 PM
MetallicaJunkie

try installing the bind plug directly to the reciever, and connect the battery directly tot he receiver, and then turn on your Tx and bind....if no lights come on and you do have a good battery the your Rx is bad
Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Allfat

ORIGINAL: opjose

I have seen my pz corsair respond just like it should but the rx LED will continue to blink. Doesn't that mean that it will recieve a signal from any tx when it does that?
No, that is not what that means. The blinking light on the receiver is to indicate to you that at some point previous you have had a power failure. Now, this does not exactly mean that something is necessarily wrong. You can make this happen by turning off your receiver and then turning it back on while the transmitter stays on the whole time. The blinking light is merely a signal to tell you that you have had a power failure. If you are flying and you think that you have had a brown-out, check the receiver before you power off the plane and if it is blinking, then you have had a brown-out and might need to change your setup a little to prevent it from happening again. If the receiver is not blinking after you think you had a brown-out, then there was no loss of power to the receiver and maybe your "brown-out" was funky wind behavior or something like that.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:59 PM
brett65

Ok, cool. Thanks allfat! Makes me less nervous about it then. I am used to my Futaba which doesn't care what order you do anything in, it just binds every time no matter what. I am looking forward to the less expensive spektrum rx's now.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
Stick 40

I just went and did what Allfat said and it did it. I still had control over the plane. I did not know that, its good info!!

I agree with the binding issue as stated, plug the bind plug into the battery port on the RX and put the battery plug right into any port on the RX and then do your binding. Try another battery, could be a bad plug on the battery pack????

sticks
Old 06-17-2009, 02:43 PM
joelsrarch99

I Have a Spectrum DX6I That Was Installed In A Trainer, The First Two Flights Went Without A Hitch,Then The Next Day On The First The Plane Start Doing Loops And Wouldnt Stop . I Handed The Transmitter To My Instructor And he Finally Got the Plane Down AfterSo Many Attemps To Bring It Down.I Removed The Whole radio System And Will Not Use It Again.It Also had Been sent In to Horizon For The Recall Before It was Installed.I Think They Are Junk Will Stick With Futaba.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
fast_eddie70

Hello All,

I have used the DX7 radio and AR6200 & Ar7000 receivers without incident for over 3 years now. Please read the manual, 2.4 GHZ is a little more complicated to understand than FM.  I have seen issues like the one described above and all of them we due to the receiver not being binded / bound to the radio correctly. There is lots of good info in this thread.  If you can't get the system to bind correctly by following the binding process then absolutely send the entire radio & receivers back to Horizon.

Ed

Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 PM
marty mcintosh
My Feedback: (35)

hey i had the same proplem try a nother switch a good on and rebind if not horrizon will take care of it
Old 06-17-2009, 03:14 PM
marty mcintosh
My Feedback: (35)

its the switch i have had the same problem several time with cheap switces
Old 06-17-2009, 04:10 PM
mmn
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Allfat
No, that is not what that means. The blinking light on the receiver is to indicate to you that at some point previous you have had a power failure.
I htought it was an inidcator of momentary loss of signal, a power interruption being one possiblity.

Regards
Michael
Old 06-17-2009, 05:35 PM
jtdavis69

Ok, I came home tonight and re-checked all the things dicussed here, still nothing. I took the unit back to the hobby shop and the fellow there checked all the same stuff and declared the rx dead. He called Horizon and talked to Kory and Steve in product support. They had him recheck all the same stuff .....again and agreed it was dead. Without hesitation Kory with Horizon asked if the shop had enough new units in stock to replace mine, and send the defective unit back to them. The shop did. So there you have it good customer service on all parts and I'm back in business!

Thanks to my local hobby shop andHorizon Hobby!

I guess I'll just hope that this was a fluke and be glad it happened on the ground!

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 06-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Warbird Joe

ORIGINAL: jtdavis69

Ok, I came home tonight and re-checked all the things dicussed here, still nothing. I took the unit back to the hobby shop and the fellow there checked all the same stuff and declared the rx dead. He called Horizon and talked to Kory and Steve in product support. They had him recheck all the same stuff .....again and agreed it was dead. Without hesitation Kory with Horizon asked if the shop had enough new units in stock to replace mine, and send the defective unit back to them. The shop did. So there you have it good customer service on all parts and I'm back in business!

Thanks to my local hobby shop andHorizon Hobby!

I guess I'll just hope that this was a fluke and be glad it happened on the ground!

Thanks again for all the help!

I love Horizon Hobby and my Hobby Shop as well. Great Customer Service. As far as the RX, I think that is a total fluke. It is a computer. I have had mine for over a year now and am absolutely convinced these are the best thing going. I had my FUTABA 72mhz get hit all the time. I have yet to have one single issue with my AR7000. I have 5 of them and love them. I have lost a bind one time and that was when I was first using it and didn't bind it right. Now it is a walk in the park and the best thing Ihave bought for my addiction.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.