Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Old 06-21-2009, 12:08 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default 1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Go here for the beginning of the build:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88...mpage_3/tm.htm

So i have begun the build of a 1/7th scale F-14. Some are probly going "why, xxxx company has one / will have one coming out".. Main reason... mostly b/c i want to But some other reasons are b/c on some of the others i have seen pictures of, some of them have some scale defencies, engineering i just personally dont like, to small of size, etc etc. So thats the reason for this. I'm planning on doing this "harold huff" style w/ plugs that are lithoplated, then molds and an all composite airframe. I was lucky enough to get a set of plans from Mike Emilio at http://www.cmsmithplans.com/html/catalog.html to get a head start. I've been stocking up on books and other materials for scale documentation as well. I've been working on some of the mechanical stuff in cad for the past couple of weeks, and just recently got started on some of the saw dust making procedures. I plan to keep this thread updated with new pictures through-out the entire build as i'm wanting to make this an "extreme" scale model that will have a quality in par with the airworld stuff. I am "thinking" of selling some airframes once the molds are complete to offset some of the cost as well, but honestly For this to happen i'd need to raise of hands of who would be interested in a high quality scale Tomcat and a price range they feel would be reasonable.
I'm planning for the model to have scale hinging flaps and leading edge slats. I still haven't decided how I want to actuate the leading edge slats and speed brakes.. but a hausl hydraulic system for these along with the landing gear are in my mind as one of the easiest ways...

Ok, enough of the rambling.. here's some pictures: Any questions, or comments are of course welcome and highly encouraged. If you have any documentation of a F-14D and willing to share, please let me know, as i'm always looking for more.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:33 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*

Awesome Thomas, I am doing the same thing right but haven't started my thread, soon though, soon!!!;-) Looks good, how did you cut out your formers? I plan on laser cutting out mine for better accuracy. I have access to a CNC router now as well but it cannot do sharp corners. Looking forward to this build!!
Old 06-21-2009, 05:13 AM
ntyhobbies

Great start invertmast! Looks like it's gonna be a very involved build but one that will be more than worth it. I have the 1/10 Lazer Lizard kit awaiting a build and yours might just be the insperation I need to get it going!

Good luck with it and I like many others who have subscribed to your build thread,really looking forward to seeing this awesome bird develop.

All the best,

Nigel
Old 06-21-2009, 05:36 AM
t33jetman
My Feedback: (1)

Great project, don't let anyone stop you.

Here are pics of someone who did the same project just for the fun of it.

William
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88663.jpg
Views:	854
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	1221847   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33153.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1221848   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47903.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	1221849  
Old 06-21-2009, 06:08 AM
invertmast

Ian,
i cut out the formers using a good ole hand held jig saw w/ a very fine tooth blade, a dremel scroll saw, and a 1" x 30" table top belt sander. If it hadn't of been for that belt sander, it would of taken me months to get the fuselage bulkheads sanded to size, but with the belt sander it only took about 9 hours to do all 33 bulkheads. I looked into having all my parts laser/cnc cut but no one had a table large enough to keep the fuselage bulkheads in 1 piece (largest bulkhead is 12" tall x 36" wide) and all wanted to use birchply. Since the bulkheads are for the plug, i wasn't worried about weight and more worried about cost.
All of the bulkheads are made out of the 6mm luan plywood from home depot. It took approximately 1 1/2 4x8' sheets.. and at $9.87 a sheet, the price was more than worth it to hand cut them.

Nigel,
The laser lizard shortkit is a great start.. their are some things about that short kit i didn't like when i started on mine that i would of liked done differently b/c its a real pain to build the fuselage around the forward inlets with the small size of the bulkheads in those area's.

William,
thanks for the pics! That is one big airplane. any idea on if it is actually 1/7th or larger? It looks to be around 1/5 scale or so.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:40 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome Thomas, just AWESOME!  Good luck hombre!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: NickC5FE

Awesome Thomas, just AWESOME! Good luck hombre!
Yea imma need it... i'm going to be going thru a small forrest of balsa tree's with this project... So far i'm up to a full page of paper in just wood needed for the wings and tail.. I haven't even gotten started on figuring out the amount of wood needed for the fuselage, but i'm estimating somewhere around 150-200 sheets of 3/32" x 4" x 48" balsa.. so if anyone wants to donate some balsa, i'd be all up for it

Quick update:

Tail parts are rough cut and ready for final sanding, started drawing up the parts templates for the wing spoilers and the new building table is done.

I'll get pictures of the tail parts later today once they are done... and if everything goes well today, i should have the majority of the wing ribs cut as well, which will complete the short kit.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 AM
jonastecknare

Cool! Looks like you have your time pretty much covered for a decade or so!I have quite a few different 3views, dont know which one is the best but you seem to be past this stage anyway.anyone special your looking for?Jonas
Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 AM
ianober

Nice Thomas, thats the same thing I am doing for my bulkheads too. I am using 1/8th inch tempered masonite. Very stable ans then instead of strip planking I am going to fill between the bulkheads with foam and hotwire and sand the rest to shape. I HATE strip planking . I'll be watching bro!!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: ianober

Nice Thomas, thats the same thing I am doing for my bulkheads too. I am using 1/8th inch tempered masonite. Very stable ans then instead of strip planking I am going to fill between the bulkheads with foam and hotwire and sand the rest to shape. I HATE strip planking . I'll be watching bro!!
The foam method would be the smarter and cheaper thing to do, but having used that method once before, i wasn't very pleased with the end results. Its very hard to get the "curves" between the bulkheads that way, so it detracts from the outline some, but at our scales its probly negligible.

Should have the entire short kit cut out by end of today.. i hope!

Old 06-23-2009, 01:32 PM
ianober

True, you just need to be careful when removing the extra foam. I will not be using a hot wire right up against the bulkheads, that would create flat spots. All that will be sanded by hand.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:43 PM
invertmast

True, you just need to be careful when removing the extra foam. I will not be using a hot wire right up against the bulkheads, that would create flat spots. All that will be sanded by hand.

ahhh very good then... so what are you working on? *hopes its not an F-14*... lol
Old 06-23-2009, 02:30 PM
ianober

No, not an F-14, I will post a thread soon though. I don't wanna hijack yours, you have plenty to show
Old 06-23-2009, 02:50 PM
invertmast

No, not an F-14, I will post a thread soon though. I don't wanna hijack yours, you have plenty to show

very good, cant wait to see it!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck Thomas, I'll be watching.

George

P.S. Are you going to Liberty Bell?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:16 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: George

Good luck Thomas, I'll be watching.

George

P.S. Are you going to Liberty Bell?

Good question on liberty bell... it really all depends on work.. but i'm going to try and get there..

** Update **

Short kit is 99% complete. all i have to do is cut the spar slots in the wing ribs out and do a wee little bit of sanding in the corners and she'll be ready for construction to begin. Pictures to come later tonight.
Old 06-23-2009, 08:34 PM
invertmast

Ok,
here's the pics of the short kit. i've still got to remove the spar cutouts, but other than that the short kit is done. After looking at some detailed photo's and 3 view drawings, i've noticed a very large discrepancy in the line drawings of the plans between the Trailing edge of the wing and horizontal stab. This area should have a inward "sweep" towards the centerline of the fuselage, and the plans are just "straight". This should be a fairly simple task to fix, as all i'll have to do is measure the discrepancy between the 3views and the actual plans and do some math to figure out how far the side of the fuselage needs to be moved in, then just copy the current shape at this new mark and trim to the new dimension and we'll be good to go!..... This is no fault of the designer, as i believe it was intentional to make the building process easier..

Each wing rib is 3/16" balsa, except for the 2 most inward which are 1/8" ply. All of the horizontal tail parts are 1/8" ply. The vertical tails are a combination of 3/8" and 5/16" balsa.. If your wondering why their is only 1 of each part, the parts are actually doubled together so each pair of ribs are identical side to side.

enough of my babbling... here's some pics:

Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

looks great, is that the Avonds design?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

looks great, is that the Avonds design?

Yep that would be the basis.. but its gonna get alot of changes to the overall design
Old 06-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Mike Emilio

I double checked that side indent Thomas.

The plans will generate a side indent, but could use a bit more.
Geez, , , that's gonna be a real terror for sheeting because of the concave shape.

It should indent inward an additional 3/8" more from the current line.
Sending you a pm showing which formers to adjust. I'll update the master.

Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 PM
invertmast

Mike,
thanks for the assistance in making this hopefully "the" best F-14 to come so far. I'm very impressed with the plans and the acceptance of helpful criticism to make them even better! Can't wait to get started on the actual building and see this baby come to life!.

For those lurking on the thread, does anyone know anything about the hausl hydraulic system?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:57 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH- LOTSA WOOD HOMIE!!!!!! HAVE FUN WITH THAT PLANKING!

Hey Thomas- i never received a package from you- did yo send it? If not no worries, just want to make sure it didnt get lost!!
Old 06-25-2009, 09:03 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: NickC5FE

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH- LOTSA WOOD HOMIE!!!!!! HAVE FUN WITH THAT PLANKING!

Hey Thomas- i never received a package from you- did yo send it? If not no worries, just want to make sure it didnt get lost!!

yea, i've figured it out, and so far i'm about about 30 sheets of balsa just to sheet the wings and tails. It takes about 9 sheets per wing panel, 3 sheets per stab x 4 stabs. I'm estimating about 150 sheets of balsa for the fuselage. Not to mention all the balsa "blocks" for the tips, edges, etc..

funny you mention that.. I just got a phone call from the wife saying their was a package for a "nick" on our front porch today. Honestly.. i think she just forgot to ship it to ya. lol So i'll drop it off at the post office when i get back next week.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 AM
Seraphim77

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I plan to keep this thread updated with new pictures through-out the entire build as i'm wanting to make this an "extreme" scale model that will have a quality in par with the airworld stuff. I am "thinking" of selling some airframes once the molds are complete to offset some of the cost as well, but honestly For this to happen i'd need to raise of hands of who would be interested in a high quality scale Tomcat and a price range they feel would be reasonable.
[sm=thumbs_up.gif] I think there would be plenty of us interested. If you plan on paying top attention to all the wing devices (slats, flaps, spoilerons) in authentic detail and function, along with some high scale gear, 'gapless' wing sweep fairings/feathers and airbag system to seal the wing gap throughout the sweep, I think I'd be all over one of these. I have a great deal of respect and enthusiasm for anybody who takes the extra time to scale a plane up to a higher degree of authenticity! I'll be watching with much interest, just like I am with the 1/8 Scale B-1B! If you have time to make YouTube videos like Bob, I think it would generate much interest causing many here to help support your efforts in various ways. We all love pictures and videos! Good luck and, most importantly, have fun!

Also, if you don't have one of these for documentation, I'd highly suggest you pick one up:

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Grumman-F-14A-Tomcat-NATOPS-Flight-Manual-US-Navy_W0QQitemZ310116559296QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item48346329c0&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1240%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50]Grumman F-14A Tomcat Flight Manual[/link]

I ordered one a few months back...lots of good information!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:34 AM
invertmast

The plan is to keep the accuracy to detail as close to the real thing as possible.. The gear i have already decided on where to get and plan to do some resin cast detail parts, but this will probly be after the first one is flying. the gapless OWF (over-wing fairing) is one thing i am highly looking into, as it should be fairly simple.
The wing sealing bag, i'd like to do as well, but i am having a helluva time trying to figure out how to make it happen, as i have no idea where to get the bladder bag made.. then how to inflate and suck it back down. The inflation part is simple, but getting it to suck back down flat is the difficult part, as the only way i can think of making this happen is for it to be stretched over the mounting surface slightly so the tension of the rubber bag pulls it back down.

If i can find a natop manual for the F-14D i'll definitely pick one up, as its on my list of stuff to get for this project.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.