Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

TORNADO BB ENGINE REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM
super_jordan_23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TORNADO BB ENGINE REPLACEMENT

I HAVE A STOCK TORNADO BB AND THE ENGINE IS TRASH WHAT WOULD BE A NICE RELIABLE ENGINE TO BUT ON IT. I WOULD PREFER A ENGINE THAT IS NOT THAT EXPENSIVE AND HOPEFULLY A DIRECT BOLT ON IF POSSIBLE. IF IT IS NOT A DIRECT BOLT ON WHAT MODS DO I NEED [NEW ENGINE MOUNTS, ETC.]
Old 06-21-2009, 07:25 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: TORNADO BB ENGINE REPLACEMENT

Redcat has the engine replacement program that if you send in your old one you get your new one half off. The sh .18 is an awesome engine, holds a tune and puts out great power. You'll be happy with it, plus its super cheap.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:30 PM
r\c justin

sh.18 what i would go with
Old 06-21-2009, 07:42 PM
super_jordan_23

I WOULD LIKE SOME THING WITH A BIT MORE POWER, SH.18 IS DESENT BUT LOOKING FOR SOME THING BETTER.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
r\c justin

thats about the biggest with out modding
Old 06-21-2009, 08:49 PM
chevyderek72

Well you could go with the os cr-v, ive heard thats a beast. But your gonna spend a lot more. Just depends on how deep your pockets are. But if they are that deep just sell the tornado and get the hurricane, its sick

Old 06-22-2009, 12:07 AM
nubzorz

yea the os cr-v is a beast for sure if you can afford it.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:43 AM
jigawatt

the .18 CV-R(x) can be snagged at about $130. Not a bad deal either.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:42 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

The Tornado stock is a side exhaust rotary carb.  The side exhaust is pretty limiting when looking for upgrade engines.  The SH 18 is a decent basic engine.  I have one, and it has been reliable and easy to tune.  But it only delivers 1.0HP and a max of 29,000 rpm according to the SH specs.  The OS 18CV-RX is one of the few upgrade side exhausts and delivers 1.35HP and a max 32,000 rpm.  If you go to a rear exhaust, you have more options and can find more power, but you will have to replace your header at a minimum and probably your pipe.  In a rear exhaust, you can find numerous upgrades with more than the basic 3 ports and more power.  The SH 18 rear exhaust engines deliver 1.35HP and a max 32,000 rpm.  The OS 18TZ rear exhausts deliver 1.8HP and a max 32,000 rpm.

To go to more displacement, you are looking probably at a 21 engine or maybe a Traxxas 3.3 (a "20").  Any of these larger options are again likely to be rear exhaust requiring an exhaust change.  And as "big block" engines, they are also almost certain to require modifications to the mounting including the slots in the chassis and/or the motor mounts.

Bottom line - SH18 is a good basic engine.  If you do that, use the engine exchange suggested by Derek which really saves some $.  The OS CV-RX is a nice upgrade in a side exhaust.  If you do that, I would suggest your LHS.  They can usually match mail order or internet prices, especially after shipping charges.  And they are more enthusiastic about supporting you if they have seen a few of your $.  Next step up would be one of several different rear exhaust engines.  Next would be a big block upgrade.

Good luck.

Bryan
Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 PM
dclintonh

I have an os 18 in my tornado xp, that thing will move. its alot faster than my sts 28 powered huricane xp.
Top speed that is. The huricanes are geared for the track, and the tornado is geared to the moon.

Kinda wish i could find a much taller gear for the huricane, it hits top speed in 20 feet.

As far as an engine goes the OS is a must. it idles forever, its easy to tune and holds the pinch much longer than the stock engines.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:29 PM
dclintonh

also its not the exhaust that hinders, its the stupid rotary, non slide carb. All your race engines have slide carbs. I about put an STS 28 in mine but i would have lost the brakes and it would need brakes.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:31 AM
chevyderek72

A few people put a 3.3 in their 1/10th and it has little mods to put it in, if it were me i would get the sh engine. Ya its not the most powerful but its cheap. But if you have to like bk said the os cr-vs (i think it is, im pretty sure it has to be the short shaft) would be better, and the tz best for small blocks. But like i said it depends on the cash you got to spend.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 AM
dclintonh

3.3 has what kinda carb?
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM
chevyderek72

slide i believe