Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

ENGINE SEALANT

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:26 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ENGINE SEALANT

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

ive sealed my surefire.32 with permatex sensor safe blue rtv silicone gasket maker for over five years....
I too have used permatex, the blue and the copper. I agree her 100%. These are great RTV sealers and I have yet to have them fail on me. Granted, I do pull my engines out and disassemble them form winter cleaning and long term storage (especially now I spend almost all my RC bashing with gassers), so I have broken the RTV seals. And they have held up.

I have yet to try Racer's Edge or Threebond, and I have no doubt that would be a superior product, and if I were to go back to hardcore nitro RC running again, I would definitely give those a try, it's just that permatex has yet to fail me when I used them.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:31 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: supertib

I am not angry.... I just modify engines professionally and have seen melted RTV all over the inside of engines many times already... I am trying to offer people some good advice on a product that is much btter suited to our uses then some RTV silicone....However i do find it rude when people like savagecomander start insulting me and trying to turn this into some sort of pissing match.......Here I am offering very good sound advice and some Savage guy is trying to start a fight over something he truly doesn't know.... Anyways guys feel free to contact permatex and ask if their silicone's are suitable for use with nitromethane, they will tell you themselves it is not... I know this because at one time I was looking for a filler for use in my lightened crankshafts..RTV will just melt out and ruin the engine, 1211 will not.... Its truly a no brainer and not worth insulting me over....... Just to show these guys, I will take pics the next time I get an engine in that has been sealed with RTV, i will take pics of the inside of the engine and you will see stringers of RTV melted off the backplate making a mess inside the engine...... I will also submerse RTV in nitro along with a blob of 1211 just to show the huge difference in products.....As well feel free to contact any engine modder and ask if RTV is nitro proof and if they would use it to fill a crank...if its nitro proof they would not hesitate to use it in a crank....also you can contact any drag racer who runs Nitro engines and ask if RTV is suitable for Nitro.... 1211 is cheap and its dam good, I can't see what all the friction is over, the savage kid to me is just looking for a fight and nothing else..../
no sorry to say, trolling isnt my hobby, and i dont recall insulting you- if youd like a can paste my posts and you can show me when i did so- and talking about me like you know who i am frankly is an insult to me- I'm not a kid. i think you're the one throwing the tantrum about being correct. prove me wrong if im so undereducated on the subject. ive raised valid points about the use of silicone and posted threads and articles supporting the fact. if they're wrong also, support your claim. AND IM NOT TALKING ABOUT FILLING CRANKS EITHER, so just get that idea out of your head. i think youve proven that wont happen though, so you just go on with your bad self, and i'll keep sealing my engines with silicone- wether you think its right or wrong, its been working fine for me, and a considerable number of other people.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:35 PM
dittch
Banned

Ok, I'll take this test a bit further. I'm a chemist and have access to about any solvent I need. I'm going to get some pure nitromethane and methanol (ingredients in nitro fuel) from work tomorrow. I'm going to put a couple gobs of RTV on a paper tonight and let them dry. Will place one of them in pure nitromethane...the stuff that supposedly breaks down RTV, and the other in methanol just to see if either of these solvents break it down.

If I'm wrong I'll admit it. I want facts like everyone else.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 PM
savagecommander

sounds good to me.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:02 PM
dittch
Banned

Ok, just made the two blobs of RTV. They're about 1/2 inch wide and about 1/4 inch thick. Put them on saran wrap so they can easily be pulled off.

The RTV I'm using can be purchased at autozone or walmart, probably several other places. Here is a description of the tube I have:

"Blue RTV"
Brand: Permatex
notes on tube:
"sensor safe"
"silicone gasket maker"
"item # 80022"

I'll get the nitro and methanol tomorrow and start this after work
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: dittch

Ok, just made the two blobs of RTV. They're about 1/2 inch wide and about 1/4 inch thick. Put them on saran wrap so they can easily be pulled off.

The RTV I'm using can be purchased at autozone or walmart, probably several other places. Here is a description of the tube I have:

I can send you a couple of blobs of 1211 if you want to test it as well.....
Old 06-26-2009, 07:39 AM
bjonaiti
Banned

Supertib:

You are wrong. I've used RTV sealant for the past 25 years for this application and have never seen or heard of any failure/breakdown/melting/compromising of the sealant in general. After reading the posts, I can say that you really are simple. Go get some catfish!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: bjonaiti

Supertib:

You are wrong. I've used RTV sealant for the past 25 years for this application and have never seen or heard of any failure/breakdown/melting/compromising of the sealant in general. After reading the posts, I can say that you really are simple. Go get some catfish!

calling people names is extremely ignorant !
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 AM
savagecommander

you're guilty of that yourself
Old 06-26-2009, 10:13 AM
bjonaiti
Banned

Let me apologize. I am trying to break bread and come at you nothing but respectible.

I am definitely not a professional in this field, but do have a lot of experience with RC. I can definitely tell you that I've never had an issue such as the one described above. I'm not calling you a liar by any means, and I didn't mean to chastise your erroneous statements.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:34 AM
supertib

You guys are the ones looking for a fight....you shoot first ask questions later...... instead of entertaining the idea that i know alot more about these engines then you do you guys would rather start calling me a liar and telling me I am wrong...... Only 1 of you here is even willing to do a proper test, the others would rather kick scream and fight......If RTV is nitroproof then every engine modder would be using it to fill cranks, its that simple...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 AM
bjonaiti
Banned

To say "If RTV is nitroproof then every engine modder would be using it to fill cranks..." is a bold statement in my opinion. I interpret that as "if RTV was an option for sealing engine leaks, then RTV would capture the entire market and no other option would be available since no one would purchase those other options". Again, that's my interpretation so please don't take that the wrong way.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
supertib

[quote]ORIGINAL: bjonaiti

To say

calling a group of argumentative people kiddies is far less insulting then telling me I am slow, when its definitely apparent I know far more about nitro engines then you do
Old 06-26-2009, 12:23 PM
dittch
Banned

Alright, I got the solvents (pure methanol and nitromethane). When I get home tonight I'll put a dry blob of RTV in each, it was set up pretty well this morning. I'll monitor them daily

instead of entertaining the idea that i know alot more about these engines then you do
You've got to be kidding me. That is 100% pure arrogance. I don't care if you mod engines or whatever. You don't know anything about me and probably don't know anything about these other guys in here arguing with you. If you want to be taken seriously then don't make such wild assumptions about people who you probably know little to nothing about.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:26 PM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: dittch

Alright, I got the solvents (pure methanol and nitromethane). When I get home tonight I'll put a dry blob of RTV in each, it was set up pretty well this morning. I'll monitor them daily

instead of entertaining the idea that i know alot more about these engines then you do
You've got to be kidding me. That is 100% pure arrogance. I don't care if you mod engines or whatever. You don't know anything about me and probably don't know anything about these other guys in here arguing with you. If you want to be taken seriously then don't make such wild assumptions about people who you probably know little to nothing about.
sorry, he's got you there super. i posted links a few posts back, if you have such a wealth of knowledge super, dicredit those articles- tell me why they are wrong. if not, anything else you say is purley arguementative super. seriously, would anybody have listened to einstien if he just said "i know more than you do so im right." no, they made him write it on the chalkboard and prove it- so go ahead super, start writing...... and dont even bring up crank filling.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:05 PM
supertib

Just so you guys know, your not the first people to doupt me when I say RTV is not nitro proof, a few other have done the test using the copper RTV to find i was telling the truth....... And quite honestly do you guys truly feel you know as much about these engines as i do ? I seriously doupt it, call me ignorant for saying that, but I am very very confident I have alot more experience with these engines...and if you guys had the same experience you would already know RTV is not nitro proof......Its nothing personal to say that either, but i have been running nitro since 1984 and currently have a successful engine modding business with pro level racers doing extremely well on the national circuit...... I spend about 50 hours a week modding, testing and tuning nitro engines, my interest in it is much deeper then just a causal hobbyist...

As i say i am going to buy a tube of copper RTV and do a test just to show how poorly the copper RTV holds up when in full contact with nitro....As I say contact any engine modder or even permatex themselves and they will also tell you the same thing I am.....I have already said you can use RTV to seal these engines, but its is only nitro resistant at best, 1211 is truly nitro proof... if you guys choose to use a lesser product it makes no difference to me, myself i prefer to use only the best ..... I have no issue that you choose to use RTV, i do have a issue when i get called a liar and stupid for saying something i already know is true.....
Old 06-26-2009, 01:11 PM
bjonaiti
Banned

Ok, I'm curious. Please copy the sentense where I called you "slow".

YOu honestly spend 50 hours a week working on RC Cars? Where is your other job, the chicken place?
Old 06-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been using the high temp copper stuff to seal mufflers and carbs and the like for several years without any leaks or deterioration that I can see. When disassembling the part an exacto blade is always sacrificed to clean up the mating surfaces.

Not trying to say the rtv is unaffected by the nitro but it certainly works well enough for my applications.......
Old 06-26-2009, 01:42 PM
richardcranium

Blue RTV works just fine. I don't know how to "fill a crank" but I know that blue RTV isn't melted by nitro fuel. I am no mister know it all, but I do know that.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:14 PM
fcomer84

Try this.....HYLOMAR Universal Blue
RACING FORMULA [link=http://www.]hylomar.com[/link]
I have been buying it at Harbor Freight.
Even makes a good thread locker and sealant. Works GREAT on exhaust pipes.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:30 PM
bjonaiti
Banned

You know something Supertib, you really ought to go back and read your posts. You are probably the most arrogant person I've ever met on this thread.

I can't beleive that you think we should entertain "...the idea that i know alot more about these engines then you do...". Who in the world are you? That statement right there tells me that your mind just ain't correct.

I do find it funny that you write these novels in trying to defend yourself on this topic, when we already have over 5 people on this thread who state they have never experienced this before. One of them is even soaking a glob of RTV in nitro fuel for over 48 hours and no deterioration has taken place. Isn't that amazing?

Did you know that if you breath nitromethane fumes, your farts will smell like RC car exhaust? "Trust me guys...I know what I'm talking about..LOL".

Perhaps some other day we can break bread. Not today.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:42 PM
dittch
Banned

And quite honestly do you guys truly feel you know as much about these engines as i do ? I seriously doupt it,
special

Again, you know nothing about me, but keep assuming you do, it's entertaining. It's funny, we are supposed to believe you, but based on the above quote as well as others you've made, it appears you base much of what you supposedly know on assumption

the above poster was right, you really are simple

Old 06-26-2009, 04:09 PM
supertib

RTV is not nitro proof.. !!!!!! end of story !
Old 06-26-2009, 04:16 PM
supertib

[quote]ORIGINAL: bjonaiti

Ok, I'm curious. Please copy the sentense where I called you

I reported your post, since then the post has been deleted...not only are you ignorant on the subject of selant, now your lying about calling me slow....
Old 06-26-2009, 04:18 PM
dittch
Banned

just started the test, one blob of dry RTV in a vial of methanol and one in a vial of nitromethane. First observation (nothing exciting or meaningful, but what the heck): RTV is more dense than methanol (sinks) and less dense than nitromethane (floats)

RTV is not nitro proof.. !!!!!! end of story !
special

It may be the end of the story for you, but nobody really holds much weight in what you have to say. Your arrogance has proven that you're not worth listening to. Anyone can run go around and scream 'I am right, you are all wrong', doesn't mean a thing and neither do the so-called 'facts' you've given in this thread.

Just get back in the toolbox where you belong and we'll let you know when the test results come back

Are you going to cry to the mods if I prove you wrong...oh wait, proving you wrong is not possible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.