Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

should i get it?

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

should i get it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 PM
youngpilot
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get it?

I found a used (flown 2 times) helimax axe cpv3 for $100. I dont know much about these choppers. should i buy it? i have a blade cp that i have learned how to fly but i have worn i out and i need a new heli.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:41 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: should i get it?

You should go for it. My helimax axe is alot better and flies better then my blade cp pro. Stronger airframe and stuff. One little tip on blade cp, there goes 40 dollars of repair. Helimax axe parts is cheaper and stronger.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:28 AM
JEMFLYER

youngpilot,

You would be better off buying a used pre-V3 version, one with a geared tail.

You could use the money you'd save to buy a spare tail motor and another battery.

I don't like the V3 because of the direct drive tail, which tends to burn out the tail motors.

If the used one you're looking at has a burned out tail motor, or almost burned out, it will
cost you about $30 to replace it. Now you've got $130 in the heli and a new one only costs
$139 plus shipping.

Good luck.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM
motodude11
My Feedback: (1)

tail motors are $10 for this heli you just buy the blade cp pro tail motor its the same n60 motor
Old 06-29-2009, 04:02 PM
JEMFLYER

It's true, you can get an N60 size motor for around $10, plus shipping.

But the ones I've seen are not the same as the stock Axe tail motor.

The Axe tail motor is a "heavy duty" N60. If you compare this $25, before shipping, motor to the
$10 motor you will note the Axe motor has a thicker case and larger cooling slots.

I've taken a couple of these motors apart. The armatures look a little different, but not much,
both are three pole. I think, but can't prove, the copper brush holders are thicker on
the more expensive motors.

On the net anyone can say anything and people have claimed to get good results with the
cheap motors. My experience with a few of them has been that they fail so much sooner
than the stock Axe motor that on a per flight basis they end up costing your more.

There are other reasons not to buy the V3 - it has a more complicated head, meaning more things
to break and more expensive to fix. I've got over 1000 flites with my 3 stock geared tail Axes.
Despite what people say, even with worn parts on the original style head, the Axe is very stable
if you have the ability to fly it.

So you don't need the Bell Hiller head, you don't need the LIPO cut off module built into the 3 in 1 and the
direct drive tail is not as good as the geared tail.

And if you know how to fly, you'd be better off buying an HK 450 from Hobbyking.com. You can have
it flying, including radio, for about $200. It is a much more powerful heli than the Axe.

For flying in the garage, Iprefer the Axe. But outside, the HK 450 is a lot more fun.

Well, that's my opinion anyway . . .
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
snobelt

The AXE CPv3 is now selling for $139.00 through Tower Hobby. Why chince over $40? Buy a new one.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:49 AM
CarGuy7a

I would suggest getting a Real Flight Sim G4 as well. It took me 3 good crashes and practically rebuilding the whole heli to figure out I needed one. After you fly on the sim and go to real life you'll pick it up in no time.

I thought the price of the sim was pretty steep but after the wrecks and destroyed parts I caved and got one. Got the heli finished with repairs and took it out and ran both my batteries through it without a single problem. I was able to hover it like a champ after the sim time.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:17 AM
youngpilot
My Feedback: (4)

well... thanks for all the input however, i went ahead and bought a belt cp