Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Planes/Helis Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for airplanes and heli crowd. Car or truck fans have their own in car section.

What does everybody do for a living??

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:23 PM
sarg96
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What does everybody do for a living??

I'm a retired Electrical Engineer with 24 years of which 12 years were spent on the Apollo and Skylab projects for NASA. Then went back to work as a Respiratory Therapist for
another 22 years. Needless to say I am happily retired and do nothing but build and fly 1/4 scale models. Due to Hypertension FAA won't let me fly full scale any longer.

sarg96
Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 PM
Lins

I'm surprised most people in the aviation industry seem to be in the Navy or Air force, not many commercial guys. I'm a (helicopter) Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, currently a Quality Assurance Inspector for...

www.greatslaveheli.com
Old 02-07-2009, 01:36 AM
997Porsche

Commercial airline pilot for 10 years...love every minute of it. Never joined the Navy or Air Force. Growing up in Oshkosh, WI (home of EAA) pretty much did me in at a young age..

Old 02-07-2009, 08:55 AM
ntsmith

Location: Bishop\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'s Stortford,

I now am a bus driver after many years in electronic and avionics. This is better but still havnt talked the company round to letting me use one as a portable workshop. I could get a nice 1/3 scale model in one of our buses and then some. Who wants passengers anyway?
Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Shrky

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I retired as a Master Chief Torpedoman aboard Nuclear powered Fast Attack Submarines. For the past 19 years I have sold Chevrolets. (I guess I can sink you one way or another)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill,

Well it's nice to see another bubble head here. Spent 24 years in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. Retired Chief Fire Control Technician. Three L.A. fast boats and one Trident (I don't like to talk about that one) After I retired I went to work for the railroad and am working as a freight engineer.

Submarines once, Submarines twice holy jumping.......

Scott
Old 02-22-2009, 09:25 AM
asmithnc

I am a machinist / fabracator etc. I help design and build one of a kind Strip line plating machines for the huge cmpany I work for. We do all internal work for the company and I go all over the world. It has it's perks....
Old 03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
jaav

Hi all My trade was in electronics tech component level, no money in that any more ppl throw out good quality stuff and replace it with cheap crap...

Now Im back on the spanners again doing small engines and a bike dealer....

I fly planes to piss the missus off.....not realy we use to go sking (water) up the creek but now there are 3 salt water crocs up there had to find somthing else to do with the sons....lets go flying again.....
Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Phoenixangel

4 years I worked for Boeing building wiring harnesses for the 717 (actually an MD-95 3rd generation) my primary harness was the 9405 aft control harness,,then one day in September........well I work for the USPS now as a rural letter carrier.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

25 years with the FAA as a center controller. In college, I worked for a FBO.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
clpahodges
My Feedback: (3)

Retired Forest Firefighter. Had 41 years service with the Florida Division of Forestry, Bunnell District.

Bill Hodges
Old 05-04-2009, 05:42 AM
tommygun32

Been in radio for the past 12 years. On-air presenting and station management, but now (and for the past 6 years) mostly commercial production and voice over work. Started in this hobby in '76 at age 10 in Coronado, CA with UC and model rockets.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:13 PM
puff

engineering for semiconductors
Old 07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
rtstestpilot
My Feedback: (2)

I have spent the last 18 years as a fire fighter. I have run boats and cars since I was 10 and didn't start into the 3rd dimension till I turned 40 and haven't even looked back at 2 dimensional vehicles. I wish I had learned to fly half a life time ago. I do construction, welding, and numerous other things that have really helped with building the models I fly. I fell upon this thread by accident and have really enjoyed all the posts. It's nice to be able to put the names I see in the posts I follow with the descriptions and tales here! Here's to a great hobby and/or lifestyle for some of us. Todd
Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 PM
BUDMAN27

fouth generation auto tech. 100 % genuine all American made modle lover.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Thisstrangeengine

I am a High Speed Production Machine Mechanic.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:58 PM
S_Mackey
My Feedback: (1)

I am a Mechanical Engineer who just recently graduated. I have been working for the same company for the past 3 years in the Electronics Cooling Industry.

I also have a BSin EE to come up with cool RCelectronics to test and fool around with in my spare time! Ialways love a challenge so if you have any ideas feel free to PMme some.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 AM
flipside7

Aristic glassblower, a great trade, lots of fun, and work for myself. Experiencing a little too much down time this year tho.

The down time is due to market fluctuation, and my refusal to compromise my artwork for the sake of monies. But I am steadfast in my commitment, my artwork can sit until it crumbles back into the sands of time, I will not lower my quality of work just for the almighty dollar. This has effected my hobby flow as you could imagine, but that is the price I pay for not selling out, and becoming the wal-mart of artistic glass.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:31 PM
y2k6vette

After reading through these pages learning about your careers I'm impressed with the wide variety of experience you bring to the hobby. Unless I missed it somewhere, I may be the first retired Dentist to post here. Went to University of Maryland Dental School, (1967-71), spent two years in the USAF at Cannon AFB, NM, practiced 6 years in Portales, NM; and then moved to SLC, UT where I practiced until I retired in 1996.

Got interested in RC in the late 80's and it has been the single best hobby I've had. It keeps me busy now that my family has married and moved away; and I have the best friends in the hobby I could have ever wished for. Thanks to everybody for their posts and great information.

Steve
Foggy Minded Mountain Man
Old 10-18-2009, 07:22 PM
asmithnc

I've had a career change to Molecular Beam Epitaxy .
Old 10-18-2009, 07:39 PM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

I am a disabled Truck Driver waiting for my second arthroscopic (cartilage transplant)surgery on my left shoulder which is a compensation claim.
Because of how long it is taking I am pretty sure I am an unemployed Truck Driver by now.
Insurance companies suck!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 09:18 AM
firestone1121

Changed careers now, I work for Penske Truck Leasing in the SOS Department, When you break down, Im the guy that saves your ass lol....No more wrenches, oil, torches,welders,etc, for me!! Went from blue collar to white and havent looked back! First snowfall in 10 years that a car isnt above my head and dropping slush on my head...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
CAPT. DAN
My Feedback: (64)

Spent the last 42 years of my life as a proud steelworker.ex navy air, and proud father / grandfather to 2 rc pilots.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What do I do (did I do) for a living?
I'm retired, so I collect my pension checks, play in the stock market, and do my darnedest to legally not pay any more taxes than I have to.
Retired from what, you say ??
Navy Electronics Tech Vietnam, A/O, etc.
Electrical/Electronic Lab Tech.
"Member of Staff" B-1A electronics systems design (Until Carter killed it)
OEM Field Engineer, Hardware and Software, Military Avionics Systems (Europe, US)
Program Management, Systems Engineer, Logistics
Researcher, Obsolete Parts replacement w/without re-engineering (semi-retired)

Favorite phone answering phrase in one program office, non published, non public number)
(Extremely deep gravelly voice, with appropriate pause and accents for best effect) "Warfare, We Deliver!")
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 PM
robert waldo
My Feedback: (1)

Trying to make enough money to pay taxes.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 AM
fgdsfg

just an Ordinary employee works for a company, wish three years later, i can have my shop .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.