Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Painting Monokote?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Painting Monokote?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Flight 21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Monokote?

Hi RCSB Crew,

Has anyone had any success in painting over Monokote? I did some minor painting on some odd Kyosho covering a few years ago and it seemed to work okay. My primary concern would be the temperature fluctuation causing the covering to expand/retract and cracking the paint.

I didn't know where to post this thread but since most ARFs have covering I figured the ARF forum was my best bet. I appreciate any input. Thanks...
Old 07-09-2009, 11:08 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Painting Monokote?

No problem painting over. Use acetone to wipe off the film, or you can scuff it with steel wool to make it adhere better. Make sure you let it dry completely before flying as the fuel residue can be harsh on certain paints. Even Poly-u will soften sometimes with raw fuel. SOmetimes I use a priner to get better color saturation or coverage.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 AM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Rust-o-lium paints. Prep good and let at least 2 weeks of curing before exposing to glow fuels. Here is my P-38 painted this way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50784.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	1233078  
Old 07-10-2009, 09:17 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

The red stripes are Rustoleum. The plane is nearly 6 years old now and looks fine...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73296.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1233287  
Old 07-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Birman

Look in the September issue of MAN on page 54. There is an article on painting over film.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Flight 21

Thanks for all the input as this is exactly what i was looking for. And, great looking planes RAM & PILOT. Knowing this I swill move forward with my project...
Old 07-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Flight 21

ORIGINAL: Birman

Look in the September issue of MAN on page 54. There is an article on painting over film.
Is that the Sep 08 Model Airplane News? If so, I cannot find the article. Can you be more specific Birman?
Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Birman

It's in the Sept. 09 issue.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Flight 21

ORIGINAL: Birman

It's in the Sept. 09 issue.
Well I dont have a subscription so i wouldn't know - -but are you saying that the Sep 2009 issue is already out? If so I guess I could buy it at my LHS...
Old 07-10-2009, 12:32 PM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they do that so you will hurry up an renew your subscription. -
Old 07-10-2009, 07:43 PM
tassiemark

I have the issue and the feature is geared towards painting for electric powered planes (not surprisingly as most MAN reviews seem to be electric powered of late to my disappointment!) and I think they are painting with Testors Modelmaster paints, so yes read it and take in all about prepping the covering for the paint but remember you need to use something fuel resistant for glow.I use epoxy enamels ala Rusoleum or we have a few other variants down here in Australia,all the same. Just DONT paint Lustrekote over an epoxy enamel ever or else really really nasty stuff happens! hehe and yes I found that out the hard way but at least if you do dont worry the whole finish will peel off easily like a banana skin ready to redo! DOH!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Flight 21

ORIGINAL: tassiemark

I have the issue and the feature is geared towards painting for electric powered planes (not surprisingly as most MAN reviews seem to be electric powered of late to my disappointment!) and I think they are painting with Testors Modelmaster paints, so yes read it and take in all about prepping the covering for the paint but remember you need to use something fuel resistant for glow.I use epoxy enamels ala Rusoleum or we have a few other variants down here in Australia,all the same. Just DONT paint Lustrekote over an epoxy enamel ever or else really really nasty stuff happens! hehe and yes I found that out the hard way but at least if you do dont worry the whole finish will peel off easily like a banana skin ready to redo! DOH!
Yes I read the article at my LHS today and know what you mean about the focus towards electric. Thanks for the heads up about Lustrekote overepoxy enamel. Interesting another Rustoleum suggestion - that stuff is really glow-proof? Good to know - thanks Tassie...
Old 05-15-2021, 05:27 AM
D.B.

Nitromethane content is the most important factor regarding removing paint.