Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Return to flying-radio input: Airtronics RDS8000, Futaba 7C or Spektrum DX7

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.
View Poll Results: A poll
Airtronics RDS8000
53.85%
Futaba 7C
29.23%
Spektrum DX7
16.92%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Return to flying-radio input: Airtronics RDS8000, Futaba 7C or Spektrum DX7

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:05 PM
tdonily

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Return to flying-radio input: Airtronics RDS8000, Futaba 7C or Spektrum DX7

Hey all,

I am returning to flying after a several year hiatus and have noticed that 72MHz have fallen quite significantly and that the 2.4GHz has really come on line fully. I am needing to get the radio equipment again and am considering the Airtronics RDS8000, Futaba 7C or the Spektrum DX7 or SE variant. My last radio was an Airtronics RD6000 Super, which I really liked, so the programming & controls of the RDS8000 should be a snap to me, but the local club uses Futaba with a few JR/Spektrum thrown in. Is there anything that makes any one of these systems stand out more than the rest?

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Old 07-12-2009, 04:36 PM
jcccc

Default RE: Return to flying-radio input: Airtronics RDS8000, Futaba 7C or Spektrum DX7

ORIGINAL: tdonily

but the local club uses Futaba with a few JR/Spektrum thrown in.

If you are a good flyer,even if you are alittle rusty, ask some of your club freinds if you can take over the controls of their planes to get the feel of the TX they use.

Buying what the majority at your field are using will give you some local support, but buy the one you like the feel of.

Also, a caution-the three brands of TX will only function with the same brand of RX. No compatability between brands.

Good luck and welcome back to the hobby.

jc
Old 07-12-2009, 06:02 PM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Return to flying-radio input: Airtronics RDS8000, Futaba 7C or Spektrum DX7

I have seen all three at my club. All the owners are happy. You will not go wrong with any of them. As an earlier post mentions, once you decide on a brand, you cannot use another brand's receiver. I fly JR/Spektrum. I believe that as of now JR/Spektrum and Futaba are a bit more pricey than Airtronics. However, my local hobby shop gives a discount on Horizon's prices so the receivers are affordable enough.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:55 PM
pilotpete2

The RDS8000 has been a very solid radio for Airtronics, very few issues. Currently Airtronics is releasing more 2.4Ghz receivers for their 2.4Ghz radios, a 7 channel receiver is just out and others are coming, all the way down to a 4 channel micro receiver. For future consideration, if you were to want a more advanced radio down the pike. The new SD-10G from Airtronics is Hot. Awesome programing and beyond the capabilities of the new Futaba 10C or JR X9303, for less money. It even has model match, so you can't fly with the wrong model selected. of course they call it something else than model match
This Airtronics plug comes from a guy flying a Futaba 9C with FASST module, but if I were to start over, I'd probably go back to Airtronics.
Good luck,
Pete
Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the the saying: "Fly what they fly at the field" does not apply like it used to. Before if you had a problem it was harder to find the answers. There were no web sites, so you had to send a snail mail or phone call. With sites all over the net, there is not a question that goes unanswered.

I do agree that each one is a good radio. Each will have more or less what you want. The RDS8000 has another channel and is about the easiest to program. Standard price is $229.99 with (2) Rx's. Use the super saver club at Tower, get it for $229.99 minus $40.00 with code (011HE) and free shipping.

It will come down to what radio fits you better. You will have to read about each. I like the Airtronics, they have not let me down.

Dru.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:06 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

All three are excellent radio systems. I own a 7CAF 72Mhz transmitter but opted to go with the RDS8000 for 2.4Ghz. I own two of the RDS8000s now, and I'm still flying the 7C 72Mhz regularly. The DX7 has a couple of quirks that I didn't care for, but it's a good, solid choice as well.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 AM
tdonily

Thanks all,

I have used a coworker's DX7 on his GWS stick, and am iffy as to it's feel. As for actual air-time, my old equipment is still in the club and there's no issues with getting flying time on those either. I did hang on to my 3.5 version of Real Flight and have been using it more frequently lately. I did hear of the proprietary issues with the receivers and can only think that the selections will continue to grow with all of them.

Again, thanks for you input thus far.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 AM
DougV

Out of those three radios I own two of them, I prefer the 7C FASST.

Doug.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Mr. Mugen

I owned the spectrum and still own a few of the 7c's. 7c's are the better radio IMO hands down. More user friendly than any radio out there in my opinion.

Kevin
Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an RDS8000, and have never seen anything any easier to program and setup. If there were a standard for programming and set-up, this should be it.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Pippin

...I switched to RDS 8000 after years of using JR and MPX. Programing the RDS800 makes me smile again and again.
Since I have got my RDS8000 I have helped a lot of high end JR Graupner derivat and Fuataba users to set up their systems. It´s alwayd tiring. If you do not need expo on rudder (I have never used expo at all), you should try the RDS 8000. The low priced JR and Futaba systems are hardly a match for the RDS 8000. The SD10 and T10 level is more interesting in any event.
Therefor, I would make a decision on a possible future upgrade. Would you go the way alongside Futaba, JR or Airtronics? They are all Japanese systems anyway.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This is just the thread I was looking for.
I want to get a 2.4 radio to replace my old Futaba 6EX FM. I have liked the radio other than only 6 model memory, and the throttle gimble falling apart twice.
I would probably get the Futaba 7C but don't like the idea of $99 receivers, and the DX7 seems to have some quirks (plus JR FM was found to have glitches at our field).
I am tempted to get the RDS8000, but have noticed that Hitech is coming out with a new SS radio any time now. I have been using hitech servos and FM receivers lately, and the price of the new Optic6 2.4 is similar to the Airtronics. Has anyone seen any sort of review on the Optic 6? I would guess that Hitech would be putting out a few different receivers at a better price than Futaba, but I see that Airtronics is putting out more RX's also. I fly electric to 1/4 scale and would like something reliable I could use for years. [X(]

Rod S
Old 07-18-2009, 09:57 AM
carrellh

You already know the general 'feel' of Airtronics. You've held the DX7 and are not blown away by it. You should go to a hobby shop, or maybe just to your fying site, and check the 'feel' of the 7C. How it feels in your hands could easily be the deciding factor.
From reading reviews and posts about them, all are good choices and all have strengths and weaknesses.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 PM
FranciscoOrtiz

My first radio was airtronics vanguard6 about 16 years ago, later I bought two Infinity 660, when airtronics changed to RD series I quit using them, they had very bad programing and they looked "cheap". I changed to Futaba and been using almost all their computer ones, from oldie 7UA, going thru 6xa, 8ua, 9c, 9z and right now I have 7C, 9zap wc2, 9capSuper and 12FG in 2.4. Flying from electrics to giant scale
I used to buy one DX7 spektrum radio and sold it, just didn´t "felt the difference" (spektrum and JR are the same, DX7 used to be JR 7202 on 72 mHz). I´m in the process to change my 9 channel radios to 2.4 modules
I think the Futaba 7C is a very good sport radio, maybe the better of the three
Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Mode One

There likely isn't any one manufacturer that produces the "Best Radio" Yes, Futaba is very popular, followed by JR and way at the end with something like 6% of the market is Airtronics. Do you really think this equates to Futaba being 94% better then Airtronics? Not likely. I firmly believe the market is simply based on name recognition. All the radios are basically the same quality and reliability.

I stay with Airtronics because I have had Airtronics since Kraft went out of business. I have never lost an airplane due to an Airtronics radio failure and this goes back to the mid 1980s.

My Airtronics RDS8000 seems to work flawlewssly. I got a great deal on the RDS8000 transmitter and two 92824 receivers. Airtronics seems fairly intuitive to me, as far as programing goes.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:23 AM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

I, too, have owned many different Futaba radios (a 4 channel Sport, a 7CAP, a 9CAP 72 Mhz and added a TM-7 module for 2.4GHz, a 9CHP Super as my backup, but finally settled (and love) the Futaba 10-CAG due to its feel, ease of use, programming, memory (I use Hansen Hobbies memory modules) and best of all the quick responsiveness of the aircraft to the radio inputs. I've sold all but my 9CAP (too beat up for re-sale) and my 10-CAG.

I feel that my aircraft do, in fact, respond quicker to my stick or switch movements. I even added a bit of exponential to soften the center movements.

I use a bunch of R617FS receivers (with the 10-CAG in 7-channel mode) and have 1 R6014HS for the high speed extra channels if I need them. I have bought all my 617 receivers on eBay with the average price around $84.

My 2 cents.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:56 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RDS 8000 all the way! Easier to program, great value, and reliable. I've been flying Airtronics for years and have never been let down. I own two of them now including the old RD8000. Very easy to use.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 PM
onewasp

tdonily

Your survey shows how futile it is to ask questions which really are a matter of personal preference. Statistically accurate samplings are not found this way.

Check the Nall equipment usage, IMAC etc. etc. and youl'll find a GREAT reversal of the numbers you're showing. And I do mean great.

I too have preferences. I fly them! I picked them because it was what I wanted. Turns out I am one very satisfied customer.

You've been at this before (per your post) so choose that oneYOU like best as only the owner user's opinion counts in the end.

We know that there is one that has caught your eye.
That's IT.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:15 PM
Flight Risk

ORIGINAL: onewasp

tdonily

Your survey shows how futile it is to ask questions which really are a matter of personal preference. Statistically accurate samplings are not found this way.

Check the Nall equipment usage, IMAC etc. etc. and youl'll find a GREAT reversal of the numbers you're showing. And I do mean great.

I too have preferences. I fly them! I picked them because it was what I wanted. Turns out I am one very satisfied customer.

You've been at this before (per your post) so choose that oneYOU like best as only the owner user's opinion counts in the end.

We know that there is one that has caught your eye.
That's IT.
I don't think the OP was looking for a statistically accurate sampling, but rather an "opinion poll". I think it's interesting to see and hear others opinions on their choices.
I'm sure that those who fly IMAC won't be using a $300 radio with their $$$$ airplanes, so can't really be compaired with this small sampling of opinions.
In general, I'm sure all radios have undergone serious R&D and testing, and must be somewhat reliable to satisfy the FCC, FAA and whoever.. I believe most concern with the radios has to do with programming, feel, compatability with servos, customer service, and sense of quality.
I see that Airtronics seems to want Airtronics servos, and I have none, which may steer me back to Futaba, which I have had a few problems with.[X(]
http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...rating_id=1482

There isn't one that has caught my eye yet.

Rod S
Old 07-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Berta

Hi all…
This brand X..Y..Z.. debate is an exercise in futility.
The real quality difference between the majors is truly insignificant.
The real difference is in the size of the marketing infrastructure and the advertizing budget. So pick what you like and be confident that you will buy a quality product.
It is kinda like TV sets what’s better my Sonny or your Panasonic?

In my case I fly Airtronics Stylus and I was concerned I would be shortly left in the RC Stone Age as the march to 2.4Gig advanced. I was not happy with the prospect of abandoning 2 excellent transmitters to keep up with the changing times.
Needles to say it put a big smile on my face to learn that Airtronics will soon be releasing a 2.4 gig module for my Stylus. In my view their decision to support a discontinued radio in this way demonstrates that they know a bit about customer support and they are committed to customer service. …….. bert
Old 07-29-2009, 06:18 PM
onewasp

[/quote]

I'm sure that those who fly IMAC won't be using a $300 radio with their $$$$ airplanes, so can't really be compaired with this small sampling of opinions.

Rod S
[/quote]

Let's see: Bob Violet has some Turbines on DX7.
Plenty of IMAC on DX7.
True they have changed servo packages but then who doesn't.

That's a $319.00 radio (actual street price). It simply works!

Opinion Polls satisfy only the politicians.
Most other folks are too bright to be taken in.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:51 PM
tdonily

Sorry for the delay in my reply as I've been away for a while. I only plan to sport fly, no competition here and highly doubtful if I work with helis. I chose the RDS8000 of the selection having familiarity with the software and the added features of the additional channels. Plus the ability to use the older radio to buddy-box with for my kids.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Flight Risk

I wrote earlier that Airtronics only likes Airtronics servos. So I was looking to see if there was any way to adapt Futaba/Hitec servos. So I found these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLX66&P=V
But they seem to indicate that since 1998 Airtronics receivers work with all servos, and these adapters are ony for early receivers. Could someone verify that this is correct. Thx.

RS
Old 07-29-2009, 11:06 PM
Berta

Hi Rs

That info is valid. Airtronics "Old" Is a unique connector. The new Airtronics connectors and receivers are blue, the old are black.
If you want to use any blue Airtronics servo or other brands with a black Airtronics RX you need an adaptor…. bert
Old 07-30-2009, 07:36 AM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Airtronics receivers will use any modern servo connector without an adapter. JR, Hitec, Futaba with the tab cutoff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.