Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How bad will the Aurora hurt the 10C sales?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Adudein
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad will the Aurora hurt the 10C sales?

I've been using Futaba for 18 years, and have loved all of them. I currently own two 9Cs, and probably 25 receivers(all brands).
I have been reading up on the new Aurora from Hitec, and I'm seriously considering skipping the 10C in favor of the Aurora.

I think Futaba is going to have some major competition on it's hands this time. It's different than the Futaba vs JR thing, because JR/Futaba receivers are not compatible. Now, all my old Futaba receivers would not be compatible with the new 10CAG, but would be with the Aurora(with a module change). Plus the Aurora's 25% less expensive than both!
Old 07-11-2009, 07:52 PM
shford
My Feedback: (27)

Default RE: How bad will the Aurora hurt the 10C sales?

If you can find one of the first 10C's that used a module for both 72 and 2.4 frequencies, you will be able to use your old receivers. The original 10C accepts the modules you use in your 9 C. The newer 10C is only 2.4. (according to Tower).
Old 07-11-2009, 10:31 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

if ya like using a second class radio, well, that is your choice. <G>
first tier stuff has never let me down, like the second rate stuff has.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 AM
pilotpete2

A better question would be. How bad will the SD-10G hurt 10C and X9303 sales[sm=what_smile.gif].
Old 07-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Adudein

ORIGINAL: mongo

I remember when people said that about JR.

Servocity still has some of the 10CAP radios which will accommodate the 72mhz module. They'll probably be all gone before I make my mind up.

I haven't really researched the new Airtronics radio yet. I always liked their stuff, never understood why it wasn't more popular.

Futaba and JR may have been resting on their laurels a little too much.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Bax

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The 10CA with the 72 MHz synthesized frequency module is available. Here's the stock number and MSRP:

FUTJ9150 10CA R3110DPS SYNTH AIR MD2 US$699.99

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells Futaba systems and accessories. You can then plug a TM-10 module into it to convert it to FASST operation.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Adudein

Thanks for the info. I see the "street price" on the 72mhz synthesized transmitter is $549. If I add the 2.4 module and a receiver, I'm looking at another $300 for the "72 & 2.4 use" set. That's $850! I could buy the 12FG. Or I could buy the Aurora for $459 and add a Pro synth module for ~$100.

Futaba might want to take a look at packaging the 10CA again with the 2.4 module and receiver. Or make the 10CAG convertible with an antenna change, like the 12FG. Then all I need to purchase seperately is a 72mhz module.(which most Futaba users already have). I don't really care for the antenna sticking up from the back of the Tx, which was probably the biggest complaint, but I could live with it in order not to need 10-12 2.4 receivers. Or, I could be a two radio guy.

Servocity still has some of the "non dedicated" 2.4ghz 10Cs, if anyone is in my situation, and currently looking for one.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:54 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Adudein

Or I could buy the Aurora for $459 and add a Pro synth module for ~$100.

As a normal Hitec supporter I do have to point out that the 72Mhz 2.4 setup for Aurora is now not supposed to be available until December, I believe....so No you can't!
Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Adudein

Servocity still has some of the 10CAP radios which will accommodate the 72mhz module. They'll probably be all gone before I make my mind up.

I haven't really researched the new Airtronics radio yet. I always liked their stuff, never understood why it wasn't more popular.

Futaba and JR may have been resting on their laurels a little too much.
The modular 10C provides a lot of flexibility and is a good value. It appears the Aurora will provide the same with 9 channels where as the 10C has one more.

I disagree about resting on laurals. It was easy for Airtronics and Hitec to let Futaba and JR pioneer the 2.4ghz market place, look for a system/pricing hole and fill it. Personally I don't find any other systems' advantage over the Futaba 72 and 2.4 I own. Tried Spektrum and some JR's too but with my inventory of Futaba equipment it is easier to keep system compatibility to a minimum.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 PM
chribrian

Hitec second class product[sm=confused.gif][sm=confused.gif]

Why is it that most everyone uses their servos Plus they make one of the best giant scale servos.

You are one of those grumpy guy's that sit at the field and talk trash yet never fly
Old 07-14-2009, 06:29 AM
hestvikauto

ORIGINAL: chribrian

Why is it that most everyone uses their servos Plus they make one of the best giant scale servos.

You are one of those grumpy guy's that sit at the field and talk trash yet never fly

Nobody talked trash about hitec servos. The discussion is about Radios.
I have to say i have own and used Multiplex evo9,aitronics rd8000,Graupner mx22 and tryed spectrum dx7, today i fly with Futaba 10 C fasst and it is a super radio in all ways. Rest of the radios are sold.
Tryed it in jet,sailplanes and a bunch of other planes, 100% troublefree.
But i think aitronics will sell alot of the new radio thou.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 AM
DougV

New 8FG? I wonder if it will have programming like the 12FG?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNXGG1&P=G

Doug.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: DougV

New 8FG? I wonder if it will have programming like the 12FG?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNXGG1&P=G

Doug.
The 8FG now gives another dedicated 2.4 choice to the marketplace. This keeps getting tougher for guys to make choices.

Appears from the display in photo programming may be closer to the 10C although it is a guess only. Noticed too the battery display points to it being newer low voltage. This makes the Lithium crowd happy.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:14 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More choices but no more FEATURE choices
Other than the Spektrum /JR equipment - it looks like the choices are simply transmitter setup differences -from brand to brand and different sized rx.
Futaba "pioneering ?
what did they pioneer?
I must have missed that one.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:38 PM
Howard
My Feedback: (55)

I have enjoyed this hobby for over 40 years and never dreamed that it would evolve into so many new areas of interest and opportunity. The hobby is literally exploding in every area that free enterprise rewards and we the consumers are the winners. It would be slick to put together a supplier/manufacturer appreciation event to show how much their efforts make a difference and how much it is appreciated. Futaba, JR, Hitec, Airtronics - I salute all of you and I can't wait to examine your new products and make my choices. All of us know that Futaba and JR are rock solid and then out of the blue comes an unbelievable set of radios from Airtronics and Hitec that raise the bar for sure. These new radios have features that are going to define radios features for the near term. My guess is that Futaba and JR are going to fire back - I can't wait. I think we owe all of our suppliers and manufactures a big thank you.

I do think that the new Airtronics SD10-G and/or the Hitec Aurora 9 are going to have a huge impact on radio choices in the near term. Longer term, here comes Futaba and JR back to the table with new extraordinary offerings. Sure beats my first radio. I fly a JR 12X but, I have one of new Airtronics and/or Hitec radios on order.

Howard
Old 07-14-2009, 07:04 PM
chribrian

ORIGINAL: hestvikauto

Nobody talked trash about hitec servos. The discussion is about Radios.
I have to say i have own and used Multiplex evo9,aitronics rd8000,Graupner mx22 and tryed spectrum dx7, today i fly with Futaba 10 C fasst and it is a super radio in all ways. Rest of the radios are sold.
Tryed it in jet,sailplanes and a bunch of other planes, 100% troublefree.
But i think aitronics will sell alot of the new radio thou.

Ok whatever I bet the new Hitec radio out sales the futaba radio's. I would never own another futaba radio with the way they treat their customers. About the only people that fly Futaba anymore are the ones sponsored by them or those that haven't had to deal with them for support.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

More choices but no more FEATURE choices
Other than the Spektrum /JR equipment - it looks like the choices are simply transmitter setup differences -from brand to brand and different sized rx.
Futaba ''pioneering ?
what did they pioneer?
I must have missed that one.
Actually most of the readios today contain more features than even very experienced modelers can use. It is nice to have them but they do ratchet up the price and not everyone needs or wants them.

Spektrum did hit the market first with 2.4 and opened the new technology door. They weren't yet mainstream like established Futaba and JR so many modelers and competitors were wary and waited. Futaba was already adapting from their other established corporate 2.4 technology where as JR piggy backed onto Spektrum. These three took the arrows in the back with 2.4 teething issues during the past several years.

Airtronics and Hitec can now enter the market relatively wart free and fill the voids with newer versions.

I agree with Howard. the technology and competition is amazing and we get the benefits!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM
Dick T.

Ok whatever I bet the new Hitec radio out sales the futaba radio's. I would never own another futaba radio with the way they treat their customers. About the only people that fly Futaba anymore are the ones sponsored by them or those that haven't had to deal with them for support.
Actually all of my Futaba's (14MZ, 12FG, 9ZHP, 10CHP, 7CHP and 6EX...2.4 and 72) were purchased with cold cash. Been flying predominately Futaba equipment for 25+ years and never had a problem dealing with their service, warranty or support. No luck here, just an honest approach when dealing with them.

Our local club has a great cross section of all radio brands and no one has complained about reliability or after sale service and support. All the gear today is top notch so that leaves only preference when making the purchase.

Will Hitec hurt Futaba sales? Doubt it as modelers change brands for a multitude of reasons so it becomes a merry-go-round.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 PM
chribrian

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Actually all of my Futaba's (14MZ, 12FG, 9ZHP, 10CHP, 7CHP and 6EX...2.4 and 72) were purchased with cold cash. Been flying predominately Futaba equipment for 25+ years and never had a problem dealing with their service, warranty or support. No luck here, just an honest approach when dealing with them.

Our local club has a great cross section of all radio brands and no one has complained about reliability or after sale service and support. All the gear today is top notch so that leaves only preference when making the purchase.

Will Hitec hurt Futaba sales? Doubt it as modelers change brands for a multitude of reasons so it becomes a merry-go-round.

Make sure you shade your receivers I know Futaba said their isn't a heat problem
Old 07-14-2009, 08:40 PM
pilotpete2

Do you really think that the current production versions of the Futaba receivers have a heat problem
I've run my older 7 FASST channels right up to the specs with no issues, but that's verrrry hard to do in my neck o' the woods.
While Spektrum improved their brown out situation by making reboot time fast, they still reboot at too high a voltage. If you do have a voltage dip due to very high servo draw in a snap maneuver with Spektrum and the receiver reboots, it may well reconnect fast, but if you're still thrashing the sticks when it does, guess what, another reboot. Sadly there ain't no reset button like on a sim[&o][X(]
Futaba and Airtronics seem to have an edge in this area.
Pete
Old 07-14-2009, 09:03 PM
chribrian

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Do you really think that the current production versions of the Futaba receivers have a heat problem
I've run my older 7 FASST channels right up to the specs with no issues, but that's verrrry hard to do in my neck o' the woods.
While Spektrum improved their brown out situation by making reboot time fast, they still reboot at too high a voltage. If you do have a voltage dip due to very high servo draw in a snap maneuver with Spektrum and the receiver reboots, it may well reconnect fast, but if you're still thrashing the sticks when it does, guess what, another reboot. Sadly there ain't no reset button like on a sim[&o][X(]
Futaba and Airtronics seem to have an edge in this area.
Pete

There really never was a problem with spectrum receivers. It was people not providing a robust power system. You say they reboot at too high a voltage Most servos stop working at a higher voltage than the receiver reboots. Yet Spectrum made them come back online faster to help with the incompetence of some. Futaba won't admit any problem even if it is documented over and over again. We can go at it all day and never come to an agreement. As far as Airtronics well if you like cheap toy like TX and the least reliable 2.4 on the market go for it[sm=75_75.gif]
Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM
Minnreefer

I am looking to upgrade my transmitter in the future, in my eyes everyone has their own isues, Futabe does not have the cheap receivers availble, Jr has more afforadable options, but has more brown out issues( I have heard), Airtronics, has a very good deal on the 8 chanel and the 10 looks good, but it does not add anything new besides price. Hitec sounds liek they will have some good price options for receivers, and I really like the idea of Telemetry (WHY is no one else offering that??????) but they are new to the 2.4 market and they may have their own reliability issues. So where does that leave a guy like me on a tight budget, but not wanting to rebuy a bunch of receivers in the next few years? I will keep looking and figure it out, I hope .

Jon
Old 07-14-2009, 09:34 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

"As far as Airtronics well if you like cheap toy like TX and the least reliable 2.4 on the market go for it"

So this is a cheap toy?

http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_SD10G.asp

Sheeeesh. It is sad the lengths some people will go to for the sake of tub-thumping their preferred product .

Bring on the toys!

PS

I like Fords better than GMC's
Old 07-14-2009, 09:58 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting to hear the same old brown out stories aboutJR/Spektrum

Old stories really die hard
Really I had hoped to see FEATURES in the newer offerings
so far- NADA
Features are what make the Spektrum so popular.
Spektrum has specialized rx for heli -for subminiature- diversified antenna arrangment- etc.,
from the others -I see nothing but - a change from 72 -to 2.4
maybe thats all some fliers want .
If so
The Chinese mfgrs have some new equipment which also works well -and the tx are pretty sophisticated
At the present - they are having teething problems but I am certain this will all sort out quickly
for more simple models -I expect the competition from China will be tough on the late comers to the 2.4 game .
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 PM
chribrian

ORIGINAL: fiery

''As far as Airtronics well if you like cheap toy like TX and the least reliable 2.4 on the market go for it''

So this is a cheap toy?

http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_SD10G.asp

Sheeeesh. It is sad the lengths some people will go to for the sake of tub-thumping their preferred product .

Bring on the toys!

PS

I like Fords better than GMC's

look they tried to cover up the cheapness with chrome which they over did to an extent it looks stupid. I would have the Hitec if they weren't so late so I have a 9303 which is probably the best radio for the money as we speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.