Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 PM
chevyderek72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

I would think its locking up because the pinch is so tight that it wont move from tdc.

Put your needles at factory settings, 2.5-3 turns out on your hsn, and flush with the collar on the on the lsn. And tune from there.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:30 PM
Undetermined

Well, have not had too much luck with my Redcat. Here is the recent Damages!

I was tuning it still, trying to get it to stay running through an entire tank, half throttle most of the time, full throttle while holding it. No jumps, up and down my street. Any ideas on what did this? I did not use thread lock yet because I had to get the engine unstuck by taking it apart so many times. I was trying to get it running good before I threw some blue loctite on it.

What would make it pull the screws through the body like this?

Old 07-13-2009, 10:29 AM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

ur pictures didnt work. if you would re upload ur pics we could help you
Old 07-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Undetermined

How doI put them in? I tried to link them. You can follow the link below for now.

picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/YBxEupqNjC41ud14bYE8Bg

Old 07-13-2009, 11:58 AM
neyou86

it looks like the heads of the screw broke off. am i right? did u flip it over at all?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Undetermined

I fixed the image link, bigger picture now. They came loose and looks like the engine tourque pulled the heads through before they fell out. No flipping this time, just running around tuning it.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 PM
neyou86

thats wierd. ive never seen that before
Old 07-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Undetermined

After looking at my car a little more last night, I found out some other things also. My buggy was purchased about 3 weeks ago, and it is an old version of the BB. It has the aluminum bell which does not matter anymore because my new HPI bell should arrive today. I also have the clutch spring coming in which might explain why I have had trouble tuning, because Ikept having to tune everything down so the buggy would not walk away from me randomly. Unfortunately Iwill have to order a new chassis, but iam going to buy some small washers for a temp fix.

Has anybody heard of Purple Loctite being better than Blue? Not as tight, but does not let the screws wiggle apart? I hate to put even the blue loctite for fear of having trouble getting it apart to work on. Since I have had so much trouble, I do not want to make it harder to fix later if possible.

Thanks for the assistance...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:28 PM
neyou86

oh man you havent had the greatest luck with it, was it used?
now i got a problem. when i tip my car forward the gas leaks. i think its cuz of the oring. i was wondering if there is an o ring to replace this problem. or do i need a new lid? also is there another brand that uses the same lid?
Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
chevyderek72

Make sure you dont have a crack in the tank. I picked up my earthquake on craigslist and when i was running it, it was leakin real bad. I thought it was the lid not sealing, but turns out i have a hairline crack right in front of the lid.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:36 PM
neyou86

i just checked it and i could not see any cracks. im pretty sure its cuz the lid isnt sealing cuz its never done this before and it just sat for way over a month
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Undet - the blue loctite is removable. It will stop screws from vibrating loose, and it will make them harder to remove. But it is not "too hard."

I had the same thing happen to me with the screw pulling through the chassis. Check this post. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7590060]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7590060[/link]. It happened to me after I had been running the vehicle hard and frequently for a few months, and the washers worked for me.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Undetermined

Does anybody have any good walkthroughs on checking air leaks? I am pretty sure I am leaking air from my HSN. It runs great for 1/4 tank or so, then it dies. When I try to start it, there are air bubbles coming up the fuel line from the HSN.

Thanks,
Undetermined
Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
neyou86

there is a video on youtube that a guy named squirel made about that

alright well i replace the oring with a one from a fleet farm and it still leaks, but now i notice a crack in the tank. i dont really wanna order a $5 part and pay $7 shipping.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:54 PM
BigDave09

if ur checking for airleaks then ur soap and water and put sopywater around all the spots that could leak if u find the leak then take some gasket sealer for engines an seal it thats all the ifo i can give hope it works and gl
Old 07-14-2009, 11:50 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Undetermined

Does anybody have any good walkthroughs on checking air leaks? I am pretty sure I am leaking air from my HSN. It runs great for 1/4 tank or so, then it dies. When I try to start it, there are air bubbles coming up the fuel line from the HSN.

Thanks,
Undetermined

what I do is this....I remove the fuel line from the carb and the exhaust...put my finger over one end and blow in the other, it should hold pressure..if you blow hard enuff (and you dont have a leak) the lid on the tank will pop up, means good seal....I'm thinking along these lines is were your problem lays...if I hear a leak or it doesnt hold pressure I start removing fuel lines from the tank and checking them seperate...then I re-attach one to the tank and check the tank and the lid o-ring

if it all checks out good I move to a visual inspection of the engine, looking for fuel (usually if your backing plate is the issue you will have fuel under it)....if I dont see any problems I check the cooling head (tightening in a X pattern)...then I pull my adjustment needles and inspect the 0=rings...my last resort is to pull the engine, reseal the backingplate and carb with sylicone..
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Undetermined

I would highly recommend against blowing into the tank. I emptied it and pulled the lines. However, there was a small amount that did not come out. Once pressurized, it blew out the tube and all over me. Bad idea. However, I did not locate any leaks. I have checked the engine, carb, fuel lines, pull start, exhaust. AHHH, IAMGETTINGANNOYED.

So, I am taking my 30 day old Tornado back to the dealer, and he said he would look at it. It will take a couple of days or a couple of hours if I stay and he teaches me a few things while checking it over.

Will let you know, but on a side note... I flipped my car while it was running for more than 30 seconds and it landed on it's cooling head. Broke half the top colling head. No big deal, but it sure slide a long ways on the concrete.

To be continued...
Old 07-17-2009, 02:47 AM
chevyderek72

Ive heard people putting nitro in a spray bottle and while the engine is running spray the motor, and if the motor changes rpms you found your leak.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 PM
nubzorz

just order a new tank if you dont want to pay more for shipping than the actual item just order what youll need eventually. im sure your gonna need spur gears and glowplugs in the future so might aswell order a few of those also.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 AM
neyou86

i got other stuff that i should order but i dont have any money to order and i just got an order
Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM
neyou86

hey guys i might be trading my tornado for a traxxas rustler xl5. its not the water proof version. should i do it?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:52 PM
chevyderek72

I wouldnt do it. plus if it doesnt come with some decent batteries and a decent charger your gonna have to buy them.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:58 PM
neyou86

it comes with a battery and charger also it has paddle tires and aluminum front shocks
Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 PM
chevyderek72

I mean it depeneds on you. What is the price comparison, and which would you rather have, you know?
Old 07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
neyou86

well i think im gunna go for the rustler cuz then i dont need to order parts all the time it breaks and i dont really like the mess and trouble with nitro. the rustler is $100 i got offered $150 for my tornado but i figured that ill have him drive to my house so that the difference is made up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.