Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ASP 91 won't hammer-head

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:00 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASP 91 won't hammer-head

I've got an ASP 91 that will cut off if you turn it down. I expect it to if I leave it in that position for longer than 5 seconds or more but this one will lean out and cut off befor you can count two. I have changed all the fuel lines, installed a brand new tank, changed mufflers, tried a new plug and in the process pulled out most of my hair and even said a few cussin words. I have tried it rich lean in between but the same result. Runs fine untill you do a hammer-head dive or something like that. Can this thing be sucking that much fuel? My line from the tank is 7 inches. Someone please help befor I use this thing for a sinker!!
Old 07-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Skratchbilt
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: ASP 91 won't hammer-head

Just out of curiosity, what is the relationship of the fuel tank and the carb... height wise? Generally, the feed line from your tank should not be above the carb, actually, it can be anywhere up to 1/2 inch below it, and the exhaust pressure will feed the carb as needed. A tank that is higher will naturally fill the carb by simply finding its own level... so to speak. See if you can lower the tank any.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: James c harrell

I've got an ASP 91 that will cut off if you turn it down. I expect it to if I leave it in that position for longer than 5 seconds or more but this one will lean out and cut off befor you can count two. I have changed all the fuel lines, installed a brand new tank, changed mufflers, tried a new plug and in the process pulled out most of my hair and even said a few cussin words. I have tried it rich lean in between but the same result. Runs fine untill you do a hammer-head dive or something like that. Can this thing be sucking that much fuel? My line from the tank is 7 inches. Someone please help befor I use this thing for a sinker!!
The biggest problem as I see it is that there was no one around to hear those "cussin words" for them to have any effect?

Check your tank and make sure the clunk is not touching the back of the tank. that the clunk can fall forward if the front of the tank is lowered
Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
James c harrell
My Feedback: (18)

I got to check the height thing but on the clunk issue it's not hitting the back of the tank it is 3/8 inch from it, but I know it won't fall foward and know that when I dive or point it down that the clunk is not in the fuel. even on the new tank I bought it does the same thing. It will lean over to the side but not down. When I first noticed this I thought it was going to be a problem but it doesn't bother any of my others. Of course all my other planes are 40-60 size. What type of fuel tubing do I use that will make that kind of bed with-out kinking. I know that on the saws and alot of the weed-eaters I work on they use a klunk line that is made in a spiral or cork-screw.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Craig-RCU

ORIGINAL: James c harrell

What muffler are you using? I had a similar sounding problem to yours when setting up my and my friends Supertiger G-90's with Slimline Pitts mufflers. These mufflers have two stacks and one of the stacks needed to be plugged in order to develop enough back pressure to pressurize the tank properly. Just a shot in the dark here but I hope it helps.