Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

adding subs in the 06 corolla

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Danju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adding subs in the 06 corolla

Hey all,

i received from a friend of mine (who couldnt help me) two 10" subwoofers. unknown brand. only info was on the box: "300 watt Blasters - Made in USA" (im guessing each sub is 150watts, both add up to 300 watts)
i dont know is the ohm of the subs, too
i need some help finding an amp, and possibly a new head unit. with the amp, im not quite sure if i should get a mono, 2, or 4 channel amp. and also for the new head unit, im completely lost. im new to this stuff.
this is going in an 06 corolla, factory speakers/head unit etc.
thanks

pics:

Old 07-03-2009, 08:15 AM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: adding subs in the 06 corolla

You probably get a one channel 500 watt amp. But get a 2 channel.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Danju

wouldnt 500 watt be over kilL?

if i get an amp, would i need to wire my speakers to the it?
or can i still wire it to the headunit?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:03 AM
annie_himself

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can turn down the power running to the speakers. You wire the speakers to the amp and the amp to the headunit. It shows you how in the manuals
Old 07-06-2009, 01:07 AM
500 lb. koolaid man

No offense but that's the lowest watt 10" subs I've ever seen. I found 2 10" 500 watt Pyle subwoofers a while ago and on a local racing forum I was told they belong back where I found them, by the street. The bandpass box looks alright though. And a nice box can make cheap subwoofers sound nice Also just to let you know... The subs aren't rated at RMS (the continuous power the sub can take) neither are most amplifiers (except for Hifonix and a few other high end brand amplifiers) . I'm just saying, those subs will blow if you try and put anywhere near 300 watts RMS each.

Take a quick look on craigslist for amplifiers, someone might have one for cheap in your area.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Danju

im wondering if [link=http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19340]this[/link] is adequate....or maybe too much?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:18 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

ORIGINAL: Danju

im wondering if [link=http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=19340]this[/link] is adequate....or maybe too much?
I think what annie_himself said is true and also applies to subs... you can turn down the power.

I know it would be a lot of work to create an account and everything just to get some good suggestions and feedback... but the audio section on tamparacing.com has some really helpful people. Sorry I cant help you beyond that. Here's the responses I got when I posted a question on there about 2 10" 500W subs I found... maybe you'll find some useful info in here anyways (similar scenario) [link=http://www.tamparacing.com/forums/audio-hq/513717-amp-2-10-500w-subs.html]Tampa Racing subs thread[/link]
Old 07-13-2009, 02:42 PM
ASSOCIATED_DRIVER

I think that amp is more than adequate, like was said, it can be turned down if its too much, you want to tune it to a level that will match your other speakers.

Take the speakers out of the box, there should be some markings on the back that would tell you how many ohms those are. If not, there are ways to check that. I believe you can use a multimeter to measure it.

I would suggest you also use a CAP (capacitor), I had 2 amps on my 01 civic, a 300 for a pair of 6x9 and a pair of tweeters, and a 500 for 2 12inch subs. When I turn it up, my headlights dims when the bass hits hard. The dimming only went away when I installed a 1 farad capacitor.

I dont know your set up, the capacitor you'll need will depend on how many watts you'll be running.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Jailbird1818
My Feedback: (5)

If you can, you should always buy a larger amp than you speakers can handle. Do not over power them though! Running a larger amp at half power will allow the amp to not have to work as hard to push the speakers, causing less heat. Also, if you decide to upgrade you speakers in the future, a new amp will not be needed. I am at a dead end with my system now. My Memphis Belle pushing 1300x1 at 1ohm cant power the 3 10w7s I have to their full potential.

-JB
Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 AM
Danju

thanks associted driver for the capacitor tip. also i never thought of taking the box apart to check the subs [&:]
oh, and i tried using the multimeter. one of the subs read 2 ohms, and another around 1.5 ohms (i m pretty sure im doing it right)
so im guessing the subs are @ 2ohms.

also so the link i gave in my previous post should do it.....?

thanks again for ur guys input.