Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Running without nitro

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 05:52 PM
Aus_Panther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running without nitro

Hi guys, just a bit of background before the question. I have been flying fixed wing for the past 16 years and heli's for about 3 months (although I did have a sceadu 50 for a couple of months about 4 years ago but a case of dumb thumbs destroyed it and I stopped flying for over 4 years). As I am allergic to nitrous oxide I have avoided using nitro in my fuels (yes I know they are not the same). I used to run the motor in my sceadu on the same fuel as my planes (20% oil no nitro) but decided when I got back into the hobby a few months ago and lashed out and bought all new gear (minister for war and finance was not happy with the $6000au bill for getting back into the hobby). Any way as things have changed quite a bit in the last 4 years I didn't know how the new motors would run without nitro. My supertigre 2300 is fine but the manual for my 50 hyper said minium 10% nitro (or something like that) so as a result I have been running 16% - 20% (pending on what my local shop has in stock) but have been suffering major headaches every day that I fly (similar starting symptoms to reaction from laughing gas). Any way I blew the motor in my Titan (the hyper) and instead of re-building it have decided to get a new Thunder tiger redline 53. Now the question is this - has any-one ever tried running these motors without nitro? I will not be flying any aggressive 3d just basic forward flight and maybe some basic aero i.e. loops rolls slow flips ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I have to use nitro I will not giving up the heli's again just because of headaches there is Panadol ect. for them lol.
Cheers
Aus_Panther (Clinton)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26341.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	557.1 KB
ID:	1235554  
Old 07-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Bugzilla

Default RE: Running without nitro

If your that badly allergic to nitro, why not look into doing an electric conversion?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Aus_Panther

Nothing beats the smell of burnt methanol and fresh cut grass in the morning.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 AM
groundparrot

You might investigate Magnum's new "no nitro" fuel.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Many engines are fine on FAI (no nitro) fuel. Others don't but usually increasing the compression helps. Some companies sell no nitro heads that increase compression.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: groundparrot

You might investigate Magnum's new ''no nitro'' fuel.
This blend was developed to deal with the diminishing nitro supply during the Olympic events in China. As nitro shortage was more widespread, fuel prices went up. Magnum fuels developed this blend to compete with high nitro fuels (30%) to still have comparable power but no nitro and thus lower cost.

If you can get a hold of this fuel, you should try it. It has been reported to make as much power as the 30% nitro blend.

It is called the Heli 30 DS

[link]http://magnumfuels.com/[/link]

They also have 10 DS and 20 DS if you want comparable power to the 10% and 20% nitro.

Rafael
Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

You have to play games with the glow plug to get it to run right, I believe there's instructions on their web site.

No nitro will usually make the engine harder to start, idle rough, and not produce as much power.

As Evan said, removing the head shim, thus raising the compression may help but even on 10 percent the Hyper is cantankerous. As far as I was told, the 53 was designed for the "gotta have 30 percent" American helicopter market so I'd be interested in hearing how it runs w/o nitro.

I love chocolate but have diabetes so electric may be the solution for you.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:56 AM
Aus_Panther

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: groundparrot

You might investigate Magnum's new ''no nitro'' fuel.
This blend was developed to deal with the diminishing nitro supply during the Olympic events in China. As nitro shortage was more widespread, fuel prices went up. Magnum fuels developed this blend to compete with high nitro fuels (30%) to still have comparable power but no nitro and thus lower cost.

If you can get a hold of this fuel, you should try it. It has been reported to make as much power as the 30% nitro blend.

It is called the Heli 30 DS

[link]http://magnumfuels.com/[/link]

They also have 10 DS and 20 DS if you want comparable power to the 10% and 20% nitro.

Rafael
Unfortunately I believe this fuel is not available in Australia. Will be trying a few things when the new motor arrives next week. Another sugestion I got from my dealer was to just run a slightly hotter plug. Any way will let you know how it goes in about a week and a 1/2. Oh I forgot to mention that I actually did run the hyper the first 3 tanks on no nitro but it was only tied to the BBQ at the time lol YOU CAN SEE A SHORT VID HERE