Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Giant Schneider Cup Conversion

Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Giant Schneider Cup Conversion

Old 07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
bob57hdt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Schneider Cup Conversion

Scott and Jim of Xtreme Power Systems and I are converting a twenty year old 1/3 scale Curtiss R3C-2 Schneider Cup Racer from 4.2 Sachs to electric. Pictured below was it hanging in a storage unit for the past 10 plus years. As gas powered the plane weighed in at 42 lbs and used Futaba S134 HiTorque giant scale servos. First thing after we cleaned it up, we replaced the 112 in/oz torque servos with Hitec 5955TG servos with over 300 in/oz torque. As we proceed I will update this post or you can see the airplane and the upgrading at www.schneider-cup.com and select Curtiss Returns Home button.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12951.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	1237527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14988.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1237528  
Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 PM
normgoyer

Default RE: Giant Schneider Cup Conversion

Hi, When I was Editor of Scale R/C Modeler I started the Schneider Cup Giant Scale Seaplane races at Lake Havasu. It was sponsored by Scale R/C Modeler magazine and we featured aircraft being built for the event for over a year. I was present for the test flight of that Curtiss Army racer. This event was one of the most unusual RC scale contests ever and was very well attended with many outstanding aircraft showing up. I consider it one of my most treasured accomplishments and am very proud of all the modelers who supported it. Norm Goyer, Apple Valley, CA
Old 07-17-2009, 07:45 AM
JEFFHINES73

BoB

I was wondering my brother used to live in lake havasu and had a guy who live next to him that flew r/c planes my brothers name is greg hines does that ring any bells ?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:16 AM
normgoyer

No, I worked with Bob Martin for the race set up, Norm
Old 07-17-2009, 03:34 PM
bob57hdt

Norm,
There is going to be a 20th anniversary celebration of the Schneider Cup Re-Enactment this November 6,7 and 8th at the 23rd annual London Bridge Seaplane Classic in Lake Havasu City, AZ. Why don't you join all of the other participants and organizers celebrate this milestone in RC History. The Curtiss you helped tune photograph and feature in Scale RC Modeler is being converted to electric and again will fly over Lake Havasu. Below is a pic of it hanging in a storage unit near Palo Alto, Ca. where we retrieve it to bring it home.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82458.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	1238332  
Old 07-17-2009, 07:01 PM
normgoyer

That would be fun, will certainly put it on my calendar and hope we feel well enough to travel thta far, Norm
Old 09-02-2018, 04:58 PM
Vic86406

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 30 Year Reunion Will Be In 2019

Originally Posted by bob57hdt
Norm,
There is going to be a 20th anniversary celebration of the Schneider Cup Re-Enactment this November 6,7 and 8th at the 23rd annual London Bridge Seaplane Classic in Lake Havasu City, AZ. Why don't you join all of the other participants and organizers celebrate this milestone in RC History. The Curtiss you helped tune photograph and feature in Scale RC Modeler is being converted to electric and again will fly over Lake Havasu. Below is a pic of it hanging in a storage unit near Palo Alto, Ca. where we retrieve it to bring it home.
Bob
Yes, plans are already underway for the 30-year reunion which will be held in November of 2019