Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

I need help !!!

Old 07-23-2009, 01:30 AM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help !!!

I have a tornado s33 with the sh 18 and I keep shredding the 47T Spur Gear #06032.
I check the gear mesh before and after running it and it is set right but i am still shredding them every 2-4 tanks.
I have heard of upgrading the clutchbell to hpi but I dont know the part #'s.
Can someone inform me of what they are and how this is done (maybe pictures) and are there any better engine mount screws that do not break because i am also having issues with the stock ones and have through a few engine mounts because of this.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:55 AM
nubzorz

Default RE: I need help !!!

I would say your not meshing them tight enough. Heres the link to the hpi clutch bell http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXCLR9&P=K / http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXDHM0&P=K / http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXCLR2&P=K and removing the clutch bell is pretty easy just unscrew the one screw holding it on and it should pop right off.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:56 AM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

How about installing the hpi clutchbell; is this pretty easy or do you have to do any major modifications ?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:10 AM
r\c justin

i have a 16t hpi tituam clutch bell ill sell u for 20 bucks, on yea is it 2 speed ??... pm me .. make sure u get hand full of spur gears b\c u will need them...
Old 07-23-2009, 08:52 AM
robriley

man i don't get it. i have ran a gallon through my volcano, and i'm still on the original spur gear.
set the gear mesh, check it and double check it after you set it (i use the paper method).
after every 3-4 runs, check the mesh again just to make sure everything is still set right.
i don't know why so many people go through so many spur gears if they say their gear mesh is set right.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:23 AM
r\c justin

the mesh can be set right all day.... but my problem was the motor mount bolts would break or come loose.. and the bottom screws that u adjust ur motor would break or come loose also.. even with blue locite. most of the time the motor mount bolts would snap into..
Old 07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
robriley

wow, breaking the motor mount screws would definitly throw the mesh way off.
but, what is causing the screws to break?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:12 PM
nubzorz

yea i see what your saying rob my volcano has been ran probly 30 times and has the original spur gear meshed from the factory i never had to replace anything on it yet so it all depends on how you drive if you crash alot then your gonna be striping alot of spur gears but might as well get a few even if you dont replace them often. Cause you will need them eventually.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:24 PM
r\c justin

i dunno what caused them to break but i would buy like 5 mounts at once, b\c it would just snap the hex screw straight in half.. happen about 3 times
Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 PM
nubzorz

sounds like they were a little to tight
Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM
r\c justin

well the first time it broke was from the factory... so0o0 i dunno if it cheap hex screws or what?? I love it when they delete my post.. it make my day hahaha freedom of speech!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:11 AM
robriley

yeah i did get a few extra spur gears just in case, because i always heard about them getting eaten. (not only on redcats, but on other nitro cars & trucks as well).
it's part of the game i guess.
it's not IF it's gonna break...it's WHEN.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:42 AM
chevyderek72

Well its cause its not a forum to bash the company. Its redcats forum so if they say to delete stuff like your posts, the mods do. Anyways think about the t maxx, when their trannies go, its over a hundred dollars to fix. So be thankful its just a couple dollar part. Every car has problems, so if its not one thing its another.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 PM
rjsdad

I would say over tightening the bolts will do it. Remember the engine goes through heat cycles. I tried the paper method and was never good at it. The way I do it is that I will loosen the engine bolts just enough that i can move the enging with some effort. I would roll it on the ground listening to the gears and feeling the gears. I would adjust to where I had no vibration and the gears had a little play. I have to say that it has worked for me. I fail to mention that I start by having the gears in full contact and back it off from there.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:41 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: basketballfan60123

I have a tornado s33 with the sh 18 and I keep shredding the 47T Spur Gear #06032.
I check the gear mesh before and after running it and it is set right but i am still shredding them every 2-4 tanks.
I have heard of upgrading the clutchbell to hpi but I dont know the part #'s.
Can someone inform me of what they are and how this is done (maybe pictures) and are there any better engine mount screws that do not break because i am also having issues with the stock ones and have through a few engine mounts because of this.
One of the problems could be your idle is too high or the brake is too tight. Heat from dragging clutch can cause the gears to become softer then normal and then the teeth strip out because they bend.
Check that the clutch bell is not hot, blueish color or color other then silver.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:44 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: r\c justin

well the first time it broke was from the factory... so0o0 i dunno if it cheap hex screws or what?? I love it when they delete my post.. it make my day hahaha freedom of speech!!!
Run a chaser tap with cleaning oil thru the holes on the mounts. This will remove any left over loctite or machine chips. The screws maybe bottoming out on crap in the hole itself and not actually tight against the bottom plate.