Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

P 80 OVER RPM LIMIT SHUT DOWN

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P 80 OVER RPM LIMIT SHUT DOWN

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 08:02 PM
av8or48
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P 80 OVER RPM LIMIT SHUT DOWN

Hello,

The turbine is a 2002 P-80 # 791 with 10 hours of running time, NEVER A PROBLEM....and yes I'm still using a version 2.00 ECU.
Yesterday, I experienced in flight shut down due to an over RPM of 133,000 and a temp of 555.
All limits are set correctly, and the engine is running fine now.
Any ideas what caused that and is it OK to use ????

Thank you for any input...
Old 07-26-2009, 08:06 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: P 80 OVER RPM LIMIT SHUT DOWN

typically it's an obstruction in the fuel system that suddenly unclogged and it'll cause a flush of fuel to the turbine and cause the over RPM, only way to know is to look at the info stored in the ECU. if you haven't run it again, look at the pump voltage the few seconds before shut down.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: P 80 OVER RPM LIMIT SHUT DOWN

I'm assuming your engine is exposed rather than inside the airplane. If not, ignore the rest of this.

Had one shut down for that very reason. 135K on a high speed low pass. Was also getting some funny cool down cycles which I later pinned down to how the sun was shining on the IR LED's. Shade the engine, works, no shade & sun on IR rpm pickup, rapid spin up cycles. Had some start rpm issues as well if the sun hit it wrong.

JetCat replaced the rpm sensor led & pickup and has worked fine ever since.