Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Windows 7

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 06:10 AM
NCBrit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows 7

I've tried FS One and AFPD on Windows 7 and have had good luck with both. On my laptop they both run without issue, however on my desktop I had to get a new graphics driver for AFPD to run. Haven't tried FS One on it yet.

Has anyone tried other sims on Windows 7? What was your experience?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Windows 7

Thanks for the feedback
Old 07-14-2009, 04:18 PM
dbcisco
Banned

On Win7 you usually need the (free from MS) Virtual XP machine for it to run many 32 bit programs.
Old 07-14-2009, 05:13 PM
bluesky123
My Feedback: (2)

My 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate runs everything without any "XP virtual machines". Yes, every 64-bit Windows runs 32-bit applications under WOW64, but that's it.
FMS runs ok after copying thye missing Direct3D DLL to the FMS folder. Haven't tried any other sims (as this Windows 7 box is used as a Home Theater PC and is always busy recording TV).
Old 07-14-2009, 06:09 PM
NCBrit

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

On Win7 you usually need the (free from MS) Virtual XP machine for it to run many 32 bit programs.
All my apps are 32 bit and run on Win7 without need of the virtual xp machine.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Don't blame me, it is a Microsoft product:
"Windows Virtual PC provides the capability to run multiple Windows environments such as Windows XP Mode from your Windows 7 desktop. To download Windows Virtual PC and the Windows XP Mode environment, please follow the steps below. For information on how to set up Windows Virtual PC and Windows XP Mode, check out Running Windows Virtual PC with Windows XP Mode in the Documentation section."
Get it [link=http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx]HERE[/link].
Old 07-15-2009, 06:23 AM
NCBrit

Not blaming you, just pointing out that it seems to be the exception rather than the rule. I believe that the VM exists for those rare instances where something legacy won't run on the new OS. Mainly old business apps that haven't been updated in years.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 AM
zguy01
My Feedback: (2)

I run Clearview on Windows 7 64 bit without a hitch.....

Old 07-23-2009, 05:31 PM
CustomPC

I run Realflight G4.5 on both Windows7 32 and 64 bit versions and it runs perfectly.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Matt-in-the-hat

ORIGINAL: NCBrit

I've tried FS One and AFPD on Windows 7 and have had good luck with both. On my laptop they both run without issue, however on my desktop I had to get a new graphics driver for AFPD to run. Haven't tried FS One on it yet.

Has anyone tried other sims on Windows 7? What was your experience?

I just built a new PC.

QUAD CORE Intel 2.83GHZ
1TB HD
8GB RAM
1GB Nvidea GeForce 9400GT Card
Running Win 7 64 bit RC

I figured Win 7 is going to be out in the Fall so I downloaded the RC and installed it. (cool O.S) been using it for 3 days now.
But I can not get FS One to run on it.

It took a few attempts to get it to install. It blue screened a couple times during install. but it installed ok eventually.
Got the USer Account control set to Minumum, which allowed me to install the 1.0.9 patch, then the heli patch, and then the 1.1 patch

but it will not run.

I get a Black box that flashes on my screen and then disappears. I ran the program a number of times while pressing print screen to see what was written in the box and i eventually got it

"This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information."

I assume this error is TACH-CON controller related. I know in Win XP it would terminate if the controller was not plugged in, but my controller is plugged in. SO I am wondering if maybe the controlller was detected wrong? or if i need to install the controller in a specific way? or maybe this error is not controller related at all.

any suggestions. I'd love to get FS one running on this box. and I kinda like Win 7 so far, so I don;t think I am going to downgrade it to XP.

If anyone has had a similar problem and solved it, please let me know. or if anyone has win 7 experience I'd love to hear from you.

thanks
Old 07-26-2009, 07:57 PM
CustomPC

Try right clicking the shortcut in the Start menu. Select Properties, then Compatability.

Try Setting the compatibility to XP sp3 or Vista Sp2.

Also, try setting it to "Run as Administrator" from the same properties box.

I've found it's also worth doing this for the setup.exe files when installing programs that don't install cleanly, so i would be inclined to uninstall FS1 and then re-install it using compatibility mode and run as administrator.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:12 PM
Matt-in-the-hat

ORIGINAL: CustomPC

Try right clicking the shortcut in the Start menu. Select Properties, then Compatability.

Try Setting the compatibility to XP sp3 or Vista Sp2.

Also, try setting it to ''Run as Administrator'' from the same properties box.

I've found it's also worth doing this for the setup.exe files when installing programs that don't install cleanly, so i would be inclined to uninstall FS1 and then re-install it using compatibility mode and run as administrator.
Tried the compatibility using all options.. all XP service packs, and all Vista SP's as well as run as administrator.

however I did not do that when I installed. so as per your suggestion I will un-install, and re-install I will set the set-up.exe to run as XP sp 3 and run as administrator then install
Old 07-26-2009, 09:17 PM
MSelig

"I get a Black box that flashes on my screen and then disappears. I ran the program a number of times while pressing print screen to see what was written in the box and i eventually got it"

The flashing black box is an indication that your graphics card needs updated drivers. It is missing some OpenGL extensions, which results in a flashing DOS window and no FS One OpenGL window. So I think the fact that you're having problems is graphics card drivers and not Win7. If you find out more, please let me know here. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Matt-in-the-hat

ORIGINAL: MSelig

''I get a Black box that flashes on my screen and then disappears. I ran the program a number of times while pressing print screen to see what was written in the box and i eventually got it''

The flashing black box is an indication that your graphics card needs updated drivers. It is missing some OpenGL extensions, which results in a flashing DOS window and no FS One OpenGL window. So I think the fact that you're having problems is graphics card drivers and not Win7. If you find out more, please let me know here. Thanks.
Sounds Good, thanks for the help. I just DL'd and installed the video driver. unfortunatly I uninstalled FS One already and am re-installing it in XP mode as per the previous suggestion. I will let you know how it turns out when the install is complete.

thanks for everyones suggestions.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Matt-in-the-hat

ORIGINAL: MSelig

''I get a Black box that flashes on my screen and then disappears. I ran the program a number of times while pressing print screen to see what was written in the box and i eventually got it''

Awesome, it appears as though it was the graphics driver. Works now, thanks so much for all of your help. Its awesome to have a forum with knowledgable people.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:28 PM
MSelig

Thanks for the follow-up. It's also good to know that FS One is working w/ Win7.