Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Hurricane XTR

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:51 PM
shotgun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hurricane XTR

Hello all, couple questions about the Hurricane XTR Buggy. First, is there some sort of restrictor in the carb. The manual says, after breakin, tighten or leanlower needle 1 1/2 turns, guessing it would be open at least 2 1/2 for the breakin. Its been 7 tanks through so its time. Mine turns in 3/4 then stops. When I go to start it, it does and idleswith no problem, which if the lower needle is closed it shouldn't start at all, right? Second, the brakes, they will not stop it, definetly won't lock the wheels up and barely slow it down. I removed the springs on the linkageand put fuel line in its place to see if that would help and it did a little, but still not good. Third is a question more than anything, are people happy with the top end of the Hurricane, I have a OFNA ultra and it blows the body off the Hurricane without trying, thanks.
Dennis
Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 PM
chevyderek72

Default RE: Hurricane XTR

Put your hsn at 2.5-3 turns out from closed, gently tighten till snug. And put your lsn at 3 turns out. Then tune it from there. Make sure your trim is set right, if it is then adjust your brakes. The top speed was great, i bet its your tuning or something.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:20 PM
shotgun32

hello and thanks for trying. The lsn is closed tight now and its running like a good thing, still smokes like crazy on take off and gets cooler when sitting there idling and therev speeds up then dies when pinching the fuel inlet linewhich means its running rich. I have never seen that before and I have been tuning engines for 15 years, its one I sold so when its time to do some engine work I'll tear the carb apart and have a look, thanks for the reply.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:09 PM
chevyderek72

The lsn is closed all the way? If it was closed all the way i dont even think it would run, because it isnt getting any fuel.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:43 AM
jpilkinton

Believe it or not, I have an SH12 Pro in my drag truck that originally had the rotary carb and I bought a new slide carb and it won't run or even start unless the LSN is 1/2-3/4 out from closed. Don't ask me why, cause I really don't know. If I opened it up past 3/4 from closed, it would flood the engine like CRAZY!
It still has plenty of smoke, so that is where I left it. And it ran like a champ too...
CrAzY HuH?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
chevyderek72

Ya thats weird, it would freak me out though haha.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:22 PM
shotgun32

Closed lsn means no run any other time to me. Does anyone else with a Hurricane have this? How about try closing yours, just count where you started from. I think it has a short needle so it can't "close", can't be over leaned out if it can't close,I can't think of another explanation. Its now on its 12th tank and runnin good, closed lsn, 2 3/4 hsn, a little more snap in the bottom end would be nice though.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:51 PM
rcguy1979

Yep I need help with my brakes also...... I just got my Hurricane xtr and went through the break in cycle and the breaks seemed to work fine. Then I took it out for the 6th tank the following day and had absolutely no braking at all. I checked my idle and it was perfect on the vehicle itself and on the radio trim. Tried every trim setting possible on idle to see if that would help and nothing. Next I noticed the front brake pad was really loose so I tightened them up a little bit. Well it seemed to work at first while just rolling it back in forth but then after running it again no brakes. Next I adjusted the servo metal arms with springs adjustment and got nothing out of that either. So Im totally lost on what to do next. Any help would be awsome and I can send pics if it will help.. Thanks fellaz and I cant wait to get this thing setup right and tuned but the no brakes on this rocket sucks... Thanks in advance...
Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I had the same problem when i first got my hurricane what I ended up doing was the 2 sliver with the small grug screw on the side you will see that these 2 head to the brake line. Losen the small grub screw and slide the sliver part in closer to the spring and the servo which will make the spring tighter and the servo will travel less and tighten on the brake and it should work very well just try a little adujsting at a time untill you get it right. Sorry i am not sure what the sliver piece is called but you will see them on top of the servo arm its the one with 2 that goes from the servo to the brakes. Hope this helps. Yes the hurricane is very fast when tuned right.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:58 PM
rcguy1979

You are talking about the silver things that slide back in forth on the servo metal pulls right? Im curious if you had a picture you could send me on how yours is adjusted. Also Im curious on your trim settings on your remote where you have them all set. I really appreciate your help and I will return the favor if you ever need my help on this car. Thanks, James McCabe

P.S if you want pics of my setup I will make sure to post them here also... I have to clean it up a little bit tomorrow and I will try and post some images.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:01 PM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that is the parts I am talking about just set your time on your remote to where it idles good. Just slide them in a little at a time you will see the difference. Sorry I dont have any pics.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM
rcguy1979

Well I think I know what happened to my brakes. During breaking in the engine the one grub screw came lose on the servo arm that controls the back brakes/throttle opening of the carb. Anyways we had a rubberband on the radio holding the brake in with the trigger squeezed 100% upward. Im thinking when it went full throttle on us it ate the brake pads up because I was looking at them and they are all black and brown looking. The fronts and the back breaks look that way. My questions is I have tried everything and nothing seems to want to help this vehicle stop. Can something else be damaged or is it just the brake pads are shot? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, James McCabe

P.S I see they make the nice metal looking pads for this vehicle now and was wondering how much better those work compared to the cheapo stock disk pads.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 AM
rcguy1979

Man the brakes suck on the Hurricane XTR!!!! Regardless of what I do these brakes just dont want to work. I removed the whole main gear to manually tighten the brakes and it seems to me like the power of the servos just dont pull down hard enough to cause friction between the pads. I have 2 of these cars now and they both have the same issue. You either adjust them to where they are so tight the car wil not roll at idle or they work only a little while tight. Im hoping that they will do better after putting brand new pads and rotors on this week. Any help on what works for everyone else would be great. I love the speed of this buggy but the brakes are driving me absolutely crazy.... Thanks in advance...