Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

castor to synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:11 PM
mjg3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default castor to synthetic

well as luck would have it i had to work late today with no time to go to the lhs before they closed. my wife did me a favor and went by on her way home. the problem i use wildcat 15% nitro 18%castor she purchased wildcat 15% 2 and 4 stroke fuel. the plane i plan on flying tommorow has an os 55ax thats runs like a champ. other then a slight retune should i be alright running this fuel? any advice will greatly be appreciated thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 09:22 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: castor to synthetic

Just run to the local wal mart pharmacy and grab a small bottle of castor. Add a few oz and be happy.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 PM
bayward

After having trouble getting Wildcat 15% Premium Extra I found a cheap source for the Wildcat 15% 2 and 4 cycle fuel. Hobby Town in Tampa sells the Patriot label which is bottled by Wildcat and uses the same exact ingredients according to Wildcat. At $16.99 a gallon I decided to try some in my guzzling Saito 180. Ran like a champ without touching the needles. I now use in in all my engines except the Trex 600 nitro which gets 30%. I did not have to re-tune anything. I have a brand new 55AX that I will break in with a castor synthetic blend then switch to the 2 and 4 cycle fuel.

Bob
Old 07-04-2009, 06:23 AM
Jester241

The 2/4 stroke fuel is good fuel too. And its probably so close to your other fuel,you'll never notice a difference. I wouldnt think twice about running it,we run different fuels all the time and I've honestly really never noticed a difference. Fact is,in the short term.....weather condition will make WAY more of a difference in your engines performance then your fuel change will. Yep,just pour it into one of your old jugs and run it and you'll never know the difference. And it sounds like you got a good woman to hook you up like that! She did good...

Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 AM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the Wildcat Website
Wildcat 2-4 stroke has 18% all Synthetic oil
Wildcat premium extra has 18% oil of which 80% is synthetic and 20% is Castor
Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 AM
JCINTEXAS

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Just run to the local wal mart pharmacy and grab a small bottle of castor. Add a few oz and be happy.

No! No! ....Don't do that!
The medicinal castor from the drugstore is not "degummed".
It will gunk up your engine....foul glow plugs....and bake a brown hard-to-remove crust on the cylinderhead.
You need to get "racing castor" which is refined for use as an engine lubricant.
You may find it at motorcycle, dirtbike, and go-cart shops.
Regards
JC
Old 08-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The medicinal castor from the drugstore is not "degummed".
It will gunk up your engine....foul glow plugs....and bake a brown hard-to-remove crust on the cylinderhead.
You need to get "racing castor" which is refined for use as an engine lubricant.
Regards
JC
Incorrect!!!!!!
Drug store medicinal castor is the same grade we use in fuel, it is just sterile, thats the only difference.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:15 AM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: mjg3

well as luck would have it i had to work late today with no time to go to the lhs before they closed. my wife did me a favor and went by on her way home. the problem i use wildcat 15% nitro 18%castor she purchased wildcat 15% 2 and 4 stroke fuel. the plane i plan on flying tommorow has an os 55ax thats runs like a champ. other then a slight retune should i be alright running this fuel? any advice will greatly be appreciated thanks
I just built a Zen 50 w/ a NIB OS 55ax. I am breaking in the engine w/ All Synthetic oil...No problems and very strong...There are alot of opinions about this. Many agree and many oppose my view...

I have not had any problems with Synthetic oil. However, I have heard that the down side is it's less forgiving on lean runs. If you are tuning your engines correctly this isn't an issue.

I have three flights on the Zen 50 w/ one break in run on the ground per the engine manuals instructions. I'm getting 12K RPM w/ an APC 11x8 prop on 15% nitro and 18% All Syn oil and running very rich during this breakin period...

Larry
Old 08-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Luna_Rendezvous

ORIGINAL: LLD

ORIGINAL: mjg3

I just built a Zen 50 w/ a NIB OS 55ax. I am breaking in the engine w/ All Synthetic oil...No problems and very strong...There are alot of opinions about this. Many agree and many oppose my view...

I have not had any problems with Synthetic oil. However, I have heard that the down side is it's less forgiving on lean runs. If you are tuning your engines correctly this isn't an issue.

I have three flights on the Zen 50 w/ one break in run on the ground per the engine manuals instructions. I'm getting 12K RPM w/ an APC 11x8 prop on 15% nitro and 18% All Syn oil and running very rich during this breakin period...

Larry

Not exactly true, if for any reason your fuel system suffers a failure and they do... cracked or holed fuel line, clogged needle valve, etc. Then no matter how good you think you are at tuning, you will still run lean.

I have been mixing my own fuel of late and with my Enya 46-4C I consistently get around 300 RPM more at peak with 100% castor lube than I do with a blend or straght synthectic? (Motul Micro)

Mike.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:29 AM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: Luna_Rendezvous

Not exactly true, if for any reason your fuel system suffers a failure and they do... cracked or holed fuel line, clogged needle valve, etc. Then no matter how good you think you are at tuning, you will still run lean.

I have been mixing my own fuel of late and with my Enya 46-4C I consistently get around 300 RPM more at peak with 100% castor lube than I do with a blend or straght synthectic? (Motul Micro)

Mike.
Mike,

I've had inadvertant lean runs and had no problem with the engine as it will just quit because it got lean (this includes running out of fuel which is never a good idea in my opinion)...For the failures you stated above, even castor will not save the engine if the problem is not corrected to prevent lean runs...

With regards to peak RPM...I suppose it depends on a number of variables in the fuel blend and the engine...If the engine is down on compression, castor would help fill the gap I suppose, where synthetic will not...Too many variables to debate the RPM gain on castor...

Larry
Old 08-02-2009, 09:58 PM
downunder

(this includes running out of fuel which is never a good idea in my opinion)
Control line engines run out of fuel on every flight and have been doing this for 60 years or so with no problems whatsoever. I should add that almost all use castor (or a blend) as well.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Luna_Rendezvous

ORIGINAL: Luna_Rendezvous

Mike.
Mike,

I've had inadvertant lean runs and had no problem with the engine as it will just quit because it got lean (this includes running out of fuel which is never a good idea in my opinion)...For the failures you stated above, even castor will not save the engine if the problem is not corrected to prevent lean runs...

With regards to peak RPM...I suppose it depends on a number of variables in the fuel blend and the engine...If the engine is down on compression, castor would help fill the gap I suppose, where synthetic will not...Too many variables to debate the RPM gain on castor...

Larry

Actually this particular engine has outstanding compression; it was an ebay bargain that I rebuilt. Along with bearings I also ordered a bowman ring, but when it was time for assembly the original piston, ring, and liner were such a great fit I didn't bother installing the bowman. I've also noted this advantage in peak RPM with an Enya SS 30 it also has excellent compression and will peak 3-400 RPM higher on 100% castor fuel.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8642241

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHYmE4NGEzY[/youtube]

Old 08-02-2009, 10:37 PM
DRC1

Like I said...Too many variables to debate...I'm not an engineer...Don't have all the answers...

I use whatI use and it works for me...I'm not a castor fan...Many use 100% synthetic oils with no problems...I also know many use castor of some percentage that works for them...

My opinion for the original poster is that fuel is fine...I wouldn't add anything to it, just burn it and use what you like...

I would say mjg3 has already made the decision since the original post...

Larry
Old 08-03-2009, 08:52 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: JCINTEXAS

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

The medicinal castor from the drugstore is not ''degummed''.
You need to get ''racing castor'' which is refined for use as an engine lubricant.
Regards
JC
Drug store oil is Bakers AA with an additional test for ricin. Because it is the first pressing it doesn't have any gum. Only cheap second pressing or Bakers A needs degumming. IMO it was simply a marking lie from the 50's or so.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Rajib

Hi
Can I use [link=http://www.castrol.com/castrol/productseriessection.do?categoryId=8274018&contentId=6005590]Castrol 2T[/link] ? Only these three types two stroke oil are avaiable here in India: Power 1 JettX, Power 1 Super TT & 2T

Here is the link of these 3 types Castrol 2T: http://www.castrol.com/castrol/produ...tentId=6005590

Regards,
Rajib