Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Nitro Boats
Reload this Page >

Where to Run Nitro Boats in or near StLouis Metro Area?

Notices
Speed - RC Nitro Boats For all your rc nitro fuel burning boating needs.

Where to Run Nitro Boats in or near StLouis Metro Area?

Old 11-21-2008, 10:10 AM
rageman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Where to Run Nitro Boats in or near StLouis Metro Area?

ORIGINAL: bassfish

MISSISSPPI RIVER ? [sm=spinnyeyes.gif] >>>-> Bassfish
Sure if you are ok with the current thing. A back water could work if you can fine one with suitable shore line access. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:32 PM
rageman

ttt
Old 03-13-2009, 02:46 PM
rageman

ORIGINAL: rageman

I met with the StL County Park Supervisors responsible for the Unger Park facility. They clearly want to make Unger Park Lake suitable for RC Boat running. Based upon input from a number of RC Universe menbers as to what is needed in that regard (thank you all very much for the guidance) the following was agreed upon.

The brush along the Eastern two thirds of the southern shoreline of the lake along the gently sloping grassy field will be removed. The grass in this area will be kept cut low as well as a path from the road to this shoreline at the shortest distance between the two. A special parking area will be added along side of the road at this point sufficient for a few vehicles to start with and posted with "Parking For RC Boaters Only" signage. See the following ariel maps for reference:

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...00788&t=h&z=18

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=38.55....6&r=0&src=msl

These improvements will be accomplished over the winter and are to be completed by spring 2009. This timing is do to the fact that the brush to be removed is still partially submerged by the lake's continuing high water level making removal more difficult and the fact that current demand for the improvements is limited to...........me..........and my boat will not be ready to run until spring at the earliest.

The Parks Department appears ready to provide the facilities appropriate for the demand. Right now it would appear that demand will be a few locals wanting to play with their boats so the proposed improvements are scaled to that demand. Should demand increase significantly the Parks Department indicated that they would respond and make the improvements to the grounds needed to support that as well. A clear example of this is nearby Buder Park which has a first class airfield facility for model airplanes and which gets a lot of use/demand daily.

Comments, suggestions, etc. please advise.

TBC
Update.

Unger Lake never receeded enough over the winter to allow cutting the eastern shore line brush so this is still to be accomplished. Hopefully before the spring flood.

The Parks Department put in a Disc (Frisbe) Golf course at the park and a portion is near Unger Lake. The Parks department were concerned that the intended special parking area for RC boaters would attract disc golfer vehicles as well and there would be problems. So plan for dedicated parking spots and signage for RC boaters has been cancelled. What they intend to do is to send notification to the Park Rangers that even though general parking along the road side is not allowed in the park that if there is/are RC boaters at the lake, to allow the parking of their vehicles along side of the road on the shoulder. TBC.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:12 PM
FastBoater
My Feedback: (3)

Any update on the unger lake project?
Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 PM
rageman

Ichecked the lake a few weeks ago. The shore line was well cut at the designated area as well as to and from the road. How ever the lake is still up into the shoreline brush so that has not yet been cleared, the main improvement needed. They Stl County Parks Maintenance people made it clear that until the lake goes down so that they can brushhog the brush that will not be done. There are lots of gaps in this shoreline brush that someone with a good disabled boat recovery capability good handle. I am not one of those. Beyond this rim of scattered shore line brush the lake is wide open. Hope for a hot dry summer. At least no new flooding this spring. I will check periodically and post. If you want the number of my Stl County Parks Maintenance contact let me know and I will PM you.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:01 PM
ozvena

Thanks for the update! There is a flood warning as we speak. It will take some time to dry.

Are there any electric enthusiasts in the area?
Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 PM
FastBoater

Great! Thanks for the update. To retrieve dead boats, you can use a RTR Electric Sport boat and a fishing reel. Works Great!! I was able to run a .21 outrigger at unger lake last year without a retrieve Boat. I hope everything works out for unger lake, I need a lake so I can test models and have fun with new model boat friends. Keep the updates coming, have a great summer
Old 05-28-2009, 11:42 AM
phil6019
My Feedback: (2)

I'm close to the park and wondered if anyone has tried to run their boats in the lake yet ?? I might try and go down there this weekend, weather permiting. Phil
Old 05-28-2009, 08:45 PM
ozvena

Do you have electric or nitro?

I went there but did not want take a chance with only one boat. Retrieving would be impossible for me. I go to small lakes around instead. I can do that with a quiet electric. I am booked Saturday but may find some time on Sunday.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 AM
rageman

With all the recent rain the lake may have been flooded again by the Meramec river. Thay would be good and bad news. The good news is that the shoreline brush may now be mostly submerged. The bad news is that depending on flood level access to the lake itself may be a problem. If you go please post what you see?
Old 08-05-2009, 04:51 PM
FastBoater

Any updates on the pond?[sm=drowning.gif]
Old 08-05-2009, 05:10 PM
phil6019

I went there about a month ago and the grass was cut back and I was able to walk down to the lake and run several of my boats. Lots of sticks and junk floating in the water.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
rageman

ORIGINAL: phil6019

I went there about a month ago and the grass was cut back and I was able to walk down to the lake and run several of my boats. Lots of sticks and junk floating in the water.
With all the rain this summer the lake level has probably been rising so that will generate the floating debris. The earlier high levels of the ajacent Meramec river may well have flooded Unger lake as well. This is two very wet spring and summers in a row.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:02 AM
FastBoater

Looks like Unger Lake is DEAD in the water for R/C Boats. []
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 AM
ozvena

Is it the lake or the hobby in St. Louis? It feels like both...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM
phil6019

It's the lake, there are much better places to run in the STL area. Frank Holten State Park right across the river in Illinois. Huge lake great parking and restrooms. I live right by unger park and I would rather drive 15 min to Holten. There is another lake in Valley park that is ok if you only want run FE. Simson Park ( I think ) very nice location. I went to unger a few times with several other members and we just didn't get to excited about the location, bad parking, lots of debris in the water, ect. Right now we need the ice to go away. If you ever want to go when the weather gets nicer give me a call. 314-258-5436 Phil
Old 01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
ozvena

Phil, are you into FE or nitro? If the earlier than I definitely will call you when it warms up...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:09 PM
rageman

Phil, Are you a member of the Saint Louis Thunder Boaters? I believe that they use Frank Holten State Park.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:20 PM
phil6019

ozvena, I have several of all types of the boats. FE, Gas, and Nitro.

Rageman, I have been running at Holten for several years with the Thundrboaters. There is a great bunch of guys that go to Holten on the weekends. We need some warm weather 40-50 and we will get back out there.

Have a good New Year, Phil
Old 01-04-2010, 01:47 PM
ozvena

Where do you guys go to buy/sell local used RC stuff?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:09 AM
rageman

Phil,
I am a complete newbe and yet to even get the boat wet. I have been looking for someplace close and less busy to do the hours of motor breakin and various learning curve work and not be under foot of the more seasoned boaters. That is why Unger Park lake is appealing to me versus Holden.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:49 AM
phil6019

What type of boat are you going to run ?? I was new several years ago and I think the value of being around seasoned rc boaters was priceless for me it helped me learn the hobbie and kept me from making a lot of rookie mistakes. Most of the people I know are very willing to help out the newer boaters. Call me anytime if you have any ? 314-258-5436. Phil
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
rageman

Well that is encourging to hear about the Thunderboaters. I have heard horror stories about some local RC plane people
from my neighbor that caused him to quit the sport in disgust before he really even got started.

Mine is a Thundercat 31. Except for needing a couple of balloons to waterproof the electrics I think it is ready to go. Thanks for your number. Bill
Old 01-07-2010, 12:33 PM
phil6019

The first thing I would do to your boat is to make sure it has plenty of flotation ( pool noodles work great ). I have seen a few boats crash and sink because the factory does not always use enough. Its a cheep upgrade. When you run the boats they ARE going to blow over, rollover, crash and die out in the middle of the lake. Its good to plan and be ready for it to happen. Its also good to have a cheep electric retrevial boat. I use a Shockwave 26 and can hook a fishing line to the rear of the boat and run the small boat out and drive it around the dead boat and then crank them both back in with the real. Just a few ideas for you. Phil
Old 01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
rageman

OK, thanks. Will do. Bill

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.