Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DL-50 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DL-50 engine

Jtec large volume is about $129.00 and 6400 on a new engine spinning a Xoar 23X8.
Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 PM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I use a method I read about in RC Report, by Dick Pettit. You apply a bead of the red high temp silicone gasket material, and then gently tighten the bolts by hand until the silicone starts to squeeze out in a bead. Then tighten very slightly with a ball driver. Then let the silicone dry overnight, then tighten the bolts ( with a lockwasher) down snug. I've tried other ways, but this way has worked the best and the bolts have not come loose.
Sam
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

Hey guys, I just came back from running from 55 for the first time. All I can say is Wow Wow Wow!!! A few flips to get it primed without ignition. Turn ignition on, close choke, flip 3 times, and pop! Open choke, flip twice, pop, and on the third flip we were in business. I just ran it for 5 minutes or so and it already feels like it's got tons of power. I didn't get to tach it at all because it was late, but I'll be sure to tach it on my next runs as the engine breaks in. So far, I'm very pleased and excited for this engine!!!

BTW, just for reference, I'm using Pennzoil 2 Stroke Air Cooled oil mixed at a 32:1 ratio. It's on a Slimline Pitts Style Inverted Muffler bought for a total of $108.00 including shipping from DA. I forgot to say that I scrapped the stock plug and went with a NGK CM-6 even before starting the engine.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:15 AM
DaddySam

I'm running the stock muffler and a Xoar 22x8 prop, same Pennzoil mix you are. When I adjusted the high speed needle on the second tank of gas it was taching 7200 easy. That's quite a bit more rpm than my last 50cc, and I'm betting it's more than my 3w50i.
Sam
Old 08-13-2009, 05:04 PM
paul5992

After Breakin you guys will see even stronger numbers. I'm getting 7650rpm on a 22x8 Xoar. That's with about 4 gallons of lawn boy ashless. I just switched to Bell-ray MC-1 50to1. This motor is a power house on the stock muffler.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:38 PM
The Big Kahuna

Guys does it make a dif. to the rpm if you use the heavier laminated Xoar 22x8 in comp. to the lighter beechwood Xoar? I'm using the laminated and the best I can get is 6820. Any ideas here?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The laminated Xoar is the better prop. Most of that extra rpm found with the Beech prop is lost through inefficiency. You'll have higer rpm numbers with the Beech, but lower actual performance.

Regarding Dick Pettit's method of using a Permatex gasket sealer. Anything that oozes to the outside also oozes to the inside. Anything that oozed to the inside became a port restriction after it dried, reducing the engine's ability to exhaust hot gasses. Not a very smart thing to do.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:00 PM
PlaneKrazee

What muffler are you using?

ORIGINAL: The Big Kahuna

Guys does it make a dif. to the rpm if you use the heavier laminated Xoar 22x8 in comp. to the lighter beechwood Xoar? I'm using the laminated and the best I can get is 6820. Any ideas here?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:03 PM
PlaneKrazee

T.O.M.,

I use the same method as Dick. We are talking about a 1/64" bead not a glop of goo.

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

Regarding Dick Pettit's method of using a Permatex gasket sealer. Anything that oozes to the outside also oozes to the inside. Anything that oozed to the inside became a port restriction after it dried, reducing the engine's ability to exhaust hot gasses. Not a very smart thing to do.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
The Big Kahuna

I'm using the Jtec Pitts.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:25 PM
PlaneKrazee

I would think you would be getting higher rpm. If that's what is normal then the 22X8 lam is the right prop for my engine and the 23x8 lam will be too much without a tuned pipe.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:49 PM
paul5992

There are a lot of factors here. Are your needles set right? What is your altitude? How many gallons threw your motor?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It requires very little sealant to make an effective seal. I don't use the heavy silicone gasket compounds, only Permatex Ultracopper, so I can't speak for how well they do or don't work. The Ultracopper is used on literally many hundreds of engines without using a gasket, and has been for years. In every application it is applied as an extremely thin film, with every effort to eliminate any chance of oozing into the path of exhaust gasses. Any lip or ridge created inside the port reduces exhaust efficiency, and performance. For some, any reduction in performance can be a critical issue.

There's no need now, nor has there ever been, a reason to apply a thick bead of sealant. 1/64" is actually quite thick for the intended purpose of the material. Those that have had issues with screws backing out of the muffler may have failed to use a thread lock compound, used the wrong kind of thread lock compound, failed to install a support bracket on the muffler, or used screws of incorrect size. Not using a fiber gasket has not been the cause of loosening screws. The opposite is generally true. By eliminating the gasket the muffler generally remains attached much longer, especially when a support bracket is also used on the muffler.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:10 PM
krproton

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: We3R/C

Hi, New DL-50 owner here! I have a question: What size are the threads on the Hub? I am looking for a Spinner, and can't seem to find the spec's. What Muffler do ya'll like over stock? (looking for Pitt's type) Thanks~Mike
I like the Slimline. The JTech is similar, but the part of the muffler where it bolts onto the engine is smaller on the Slimline than on the JTech, so it fits inside the cowl. Also, the Slimline is a much nicer piece. I don't want to badmouth the JTech because I'm sure many use them and they work well, but it looks like it was made in a guy's garage. Of course, the Slimline costs more than the JTech.

I also like to apply aluminum tape inside the cowl around the engine and exhaust tube openings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34706.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1255702   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68832.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1255703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20326.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	1255704  
Old 08-14-2009, 01:12 AM
The Big Kahuna

My flying strip is 50 meters above sea level.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 AM
thevirginian

krproton
I admire your clean set-up. Nice job. But there is one thing I noticed i would correct. I would put a piece of foam under the ignition box to prodect it from vibrations.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

It may just be the angle. He had foam under it before.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:40 AM
krproton

Thanks thevirginian.

There is a thick film of RTV silicone rubber on the bottom of the ignition box and the plywood mount to absorb vibration. This has been working for last flying season and this season so far. Do you think this is sufficient?

Old 08-14-2009, 08:15 AM
PlaneKrazee

Ultracopper is what I use. It's the same consistancy as the other products rated a 500-550 degrees. Wipe on a thin film, bolt it up slighty snug, leave overnight and tighten it down the next day. Done.

ORIGINAL: Tired Old Man

It requires very little sealant to make an effective seal. I don't use the heavy silicone gasket compounds, only Permatex Ultracopper, so I can't speak for how well they do or don't work. The Ultracopper is used on literally many hundreds of engines without using a gasket, and has been for years. In every application it is applied as an extremely thin film, with every effort to eliminate any chance of oozing into the path of exhaust gasses. Any lip or ridge created inside the port reduces exhaust efficiency, and performance. For some, any reduction in performance can be a critical issue.

There's no need now, nor has there ever been, a reason to apply a thick bead of sealant. 1/64'' is actually quite thick for the intended purpose of the material. Those that have had issues with screws backing out of the muffler may have failed to use a thread lock compound, used the wrong kind of thread lock compound, failed to install a support bracket on the muffler, or used screws of incorrect size. Not using a fiber gasket has not been the cause of loosening screws. The opposite is generally true. By eliminating the gasket the muffler generally remains attached much longer, especially when a support bracket is also used on the muffler.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:19 AM
PlaneKrazee

I still use Latex rubber padding left over from the discrete components in electronics days.

Krproton,

Which spinner do you have on your plane? What rpm are you getting with that prop?

ORIGINAL: krproton

Thanks thevirginian.

There is a thick film of RTV silicone rubber on the bottom of the ignition box and the plywood mount to absorb vibration. This has been working for last flying season and this season so far. Do you think this is sufficient?

Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the 1/2" thick white foam padding from the hobby shop. I zip tie it down just tight enough so it stays there...but not too tight.

That's a nice ignition mount you made there krproton. You should market those.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:18 AM
DaddySam

Here are some pix of the muffler install. The first shows the muffler before I pulled it off to check the exhaust port. the second shows the two mating surfaces. It looks to me like the film of sealant is so thin as to be almost transparent, except where it oozed out to make the "bead". I have used the Permatex Ultracopper but did not see much difference in the consisitency or result. I have gotten a lot out of this discussion, especially the idea of using so little of the sealant. Much less than I would have used before. I'm going to redo the muffler again, and use less sealant (Permatex Copper this time). Thanks to all.
Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73776.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1255930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55281.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	1255931  
Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can wet sand the muffler mating surface on 400 grit and get that baby almost machine surface flat. Then it will take even less sealant. I like the Yamabond 6B. Great stuff made especially for exhaust app's.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:07 AM
PlaneKrazee

Joeairport,

I use the same latex foam as you since I started in r/c when receivers were hand stuffed and soldered. Back in the day we would make a foam boxes glued together with contact cement and slip the receiver and battery into them. Lots of chances for crashes due to radio failure back then, we did everything we could to prevent it. Now everybody just tucks the foam under the parts.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
krproton

ORIGINAL: PlaneKrazee

I still use Latex rubber padding left over from the discrete components in electronics days.

Krproton,

Which spinner do you have on your plane? What rpm are you getting with that prop?

ORIGINAL: krproton

Thanks thevirginian.

Hi Krazee. It's a pre cut Mejslik carbon fiber spinner. I have the same one on my Edge too (only it's larger). It's a nice piece, but had I known the prop cutouts would be so large I would have done it my self (but it still looks good). Sorry, I don't know the RPM I'm getting. It's a 20 x 10. I'll be flying this weekend, so if I remember I'll try to get a reading for you and let you know later. The thing runs real swell though!

+1 on the Ultracopper RTV for me (I think it's even in the background of one of my previous photos!). I always "polish" the mating parts of the muffler and engine port with oil and 400-grit, then thoroughly clean with denatured alcohol. Just a fine film of RTV on both parts, then bolt it together.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.