Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

which on board camera

Old 02-18-2009, 12:38 PM
alexedit
Banned
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which on board camera

Hi - I am looking for a cheap on board camera for my airplane. Any advice?
Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: which on board camera

Still or video?
Old 02-18-2009, 04:01 PM
alexedit
Banned

video
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 PM
lejongleur

OK then - Hobby Lobby's FlyCamOne2 is about $75, comes with a mount, does 640x480 30fps (not bad), and weighs about 1.6 ounces with mount and an SD card. On the cheaper end, a Tony Hawk helmet cam can be had for probably $30, does 320x240 at 15fps (significantly worse than the Flycam), and weighs in at about 3.5 ounces with batteries, SD card and mount. A flip Mino (either SD or HD) are very nice, self-contained for less than $200, and weigh 3.3 ounces (you would need to fabricate a mount.)

What do you think?...Chris
Old 02-18-2009, 04:25 PM
alexedit
Banned

sounds like the flycamOne is the winner
Old 02-18-2009, 04:41 PM
lejongleur

FlyCam is OK. The audio on mine is horrible, but that really doesn't matter, as it's always whirring and wind-rushing noise, except for before and after you fly, when you hear the inane comments of yourself and anyone watching. For the money, it's probably the best right now. You will need a 2GB SD card (4GB does not work.)

Let me know how you get on...Chris
Old 08-03-2009, 08:50 AM
savage 40

I have the oringinal Flycamone with 1g card, hacked the case and put a Futaba lead on it (it now runs off the battery in the plane via a spare open channel) No more 2 minute videos due to the internal battery not co-operating... video now until the card runs out.. The mic has been disabled (Tired of hearing wind noise and motor whine) videos at 320x240 You can have it for $30 shipped.... it's fun to play around with and get you hooked on AV..Then when you get serious move to a better camera.. I took this video with it...the video quality is a bit better on the computer then the upload to Youtube makes it a liitle worse.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOjqPuYv_us
Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 PM
bigfella65

Flycamone and 2 are bricks have alooky at this one.. lighter and longer recording time faster charge and better audio and video resolution http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...roducts_id=922
Old 08-09-2009, 10:44 PM
balsabuster2003

I'm using the same cameras on my Sig Kadet Senior. I use them to find lost planes. Have found 4 planes so far. One camera mounted looking down, one looking forward. Here's a video clip I filmed the other day. Experienced a deadstick. (ran our of fuel) Engine quit at 16 seconds into the video. I got my cameras from rchotdeals.com for $59 + $5 shipping.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_kCtYN1yfY
Old 08-12-2009, 03:47 AM
bigfella65

Dam thats a good price, also love that video quaility very clear, nice save to balsabuster2003.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:55 AM
balsabuster2003

Plane is a real floater. A real relaxing plane to fly. Easy to make deadstick landings.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl31172.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	1254810  
Old 08-16-2009, 08:15 PM
cobrajocky

As usual, Grayson is a big rip-off, you can buy the same "gum pack" DV-cam in 4GB on-board Flash RAM right from the authorized distributor in Red China for $29.95 + $6ish bucks air-mail shipping. But beware, the "chinglish" manual is unintelligible. You'll have a laugh trying to read it, but you won't figure out much. Fortunatley, my wife is Taiwanese and reads Mandarin, so we've deciphered most of it from the simplified Chinese instructions. [link=http://www.lightinthebox.com/640x480-High-Resolution-4GB-built-in-memory-Spy-Gum-Camera-XH-4292Hidden-Camera-CC-01-_p53042.html]Light in the Box[/link]

I'm planning a thread on how to use this camera for RC Heli and Plane use.

Basic important specs are 640 x 480, 1.3MP CMOS sensor, 20 - 25 fps, 2 or 4GB onboard Flash ($23.95 or $29.95) + slot for Micro SD card. Video format is AVI. Charging it is a nightmare and I've had problems getting some Windows XP PC's to read the device, it loves Vista powered PC's. They claim that it is Mac compatible, but that is BS. I've tried the MP10 camera on 6 different Mac OS X machines (10.3 thru 10.5) at our Audio / Video editing business and none see the MP10.

For the cost, the video is spectacular, far better than a Flip Video camera - which is very pixelized and has terrible color scaling; and it's on par with the FlyCamOne2 for half the price and especially the weight.

I uploaded a screen capture from some first time video I shot with the cam attached to my brushless MPX EasyStar from about 1/2 mile up with the camera mounted in the canopy looking over the nose.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52073.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1257458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74718.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	1257459  
Old 08-20-2009, 12:58 PM
ksh243

I have the RCA small wonder HD camera. It works great!
Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: ksh243

I have the RCA small wonder HD camera. It works great!

It also weighs a ton comparatively. I'd like to see you use that in any Multiplex model or a 25 - 40 size 3D plane without making worthless as a 3D plane.

The point in using a micro camera is NOT changing the flight characteristics of the model.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:44 AM
ksh243

ORIGINAL: websterphreaky

It also weighs a ton comparatively. I'd like to see you use that in any Multiplex model or a 25 - 40 size 3D plane without making worthless as a 3D plane.

The point in using a micro camera is NOT changing the flight characteristics of the model.

It seems with the complaints on here that quality is a issue. I used this camera on the inside of a 40 size j-3 cub and it flew better than without it! I balanced the CG all the same. I also put it on a 40 size low wing sport plane, it flew fine. The camera is only 3.5oz. If you don't have 3.5 oz of thrust to spare on a 40 3D plane, its not much of a 3D plane at all. If you want a quality picture HD is the way to go. At 3.5oz, if you keep your CG the same, you should not notice much change if any. Then again, if you don't care about quality and will settle for 640x480, tape your cell phone to the plane and put it on video.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM
cobrajocky

ORIGINAL: ksh243

It seems with the complaints on here that quality is a issue. I used this camera on the inside of a 40 size j-3 cub and it flew better than without it! I balanced the CG all the same. I also put it on a 40 size low wing sport plane, it flew fine. The camera is only 3.5oz. If you don't have 3.5 oz of thrust to spare on a 40 3D plane, its not much of a 3D plane at all. If you want a quality picture HD is the way to go. At 3.5oz, if you keep your CG the same, you should not notice much change if any. Then again, if you don't care about quality and will settle for 640x480, tape your cell phone to the plane and put it on video.

Geez that's funny (3.5oz), according to RCA's own specs on their ad on Amazon: "Product Dimensions: 0.9 x 2.5 x 4.3 inches ; 12.8 ounces" Think you better get a new scale! [link=http://www.amazon.com/RCA-EZ209HD-Small-Wonder-Camcorder/dp/B001RIYOBA]Amazon RCA Ad and Reviews[/link] (link) The MP10 4GB camera I use is only 19 grams. 19g vs 12.8 OUNCES! EEAK!!

And user reviews on Amazon DING your RCA Small Wonder HD with only 2 stars out of 5!!! Not so hot after-all when you bring up "all the complaints" comparison. Quote from one of the OWNER reviewers: "The sound and picture quality is horrid, no matter what setting you have it on, HD or not!"

Lets talk apples and apples when it comes to planes that an ultra lite camera is needed; I'm talking Foam (that IS what Multiplex planes are that I referred to) and electric planes of .25 - .40 size. Strapping a 12.8 ounce brick to an electric ain't gonna fly .... making a pun intentional.

Though the FlyCamOne2, or my favorite the cheapy Chinese MP10 (both 1.3MP sensors), aren't a poor quality HD like the RCA SW HD (per the Amazon review), the 640x480 SD video is quiet excellent and I can pivot the sensor head in flight or turn the camera (FCO2) on and off via my radio ..... can your RCA???? Not!

Even better - The FCO2 is only $55 from HobbyCity and the MP10 with 4GB of Flash RAM only $29.95. Leaving me a lot more money to spend on my RC stuff than a camera.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:11 PM
MrEdge

AeroCam Lite...Just bought one and the instructions are in engrish...can anyone elaborate on the correct operation procedures to get this camera running?
I turn on the power switch...no lites lite up
Push the big button blue and pale yellow lite lite up for a moment then go off
Hold the big button and orange lite come on then goes off after a number of seconds then the blue light comes on steady and the green light on the left comes on..
I havent had a chance to hook it up to the computer to see if it actually records anything
Just looking for some insight

Thanks guys
Old 08-28-2009, 11:24 PM
cobrajocky

While your AeroCam Lite looks exactly like the generic MP-10 "Gum Cam", the LED designations (video and mic icons) aren't the same, in fact the MP-10 with 4GB doesn't even have icons. On the MP-10, the left LED is green for Power, the Center is Orange for Ready and Charge Condition, and the right LED is a blue indicating Video with Audio is starting and also Unit is Charging. Yours seems to be more like the unit Grayson Hobby over-charges for with less internal Flash RAM (only 2GB). They have a have a how to use chart on the site.

Apparently the Chinese manufacturer will make various versions of this DV camera with different operating methods.

Good luck
Old 08-29-2009, 10:40 PM
khooten

I just bought a AeroCam lite and the directions are confusing, To say the least. I think in the translation from Chinese-to- English went all wrong.  I hope someone can explain to me how to make this thing record video for more than a few seconds.
                                                                                                                                                   THANKS....................
Old 08-31-2009, 04:40 PM
MrEdge

I just looked at the Grayson Hobby site for the directions for this camera but nothing seems to match...I plugged it into the comp to charge and I get a flashing yellow light not a red light and when I turn the power button to the on position, I dont get any lights until I push the big record button...then I get a yellow button for a bout 7-8 seconds and the blue(record) light comes on... Also i cant seem to get mine to record for mmore than about 20 seconds...Any ideas? How long does the unit need to be charged before use?

Frustrated
Thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 AM
jpilkinton

I just bought the Mini DV VD80 Pocket Camera Recorder. Super small package, and easy to use..
Old 09-01-2009, 07:46 PM
catfishjohn

As usual, Grayson is a big rip-off, you can buy the same ''gum pack'' DV-cam in 4GB on-board Flash RAM right from the authorized distributor in Red China for $29.95 + $6ish bucks air-mail shipping. But beware, the ''chinglish'' manual is unintelligible. You'll have a laugh trying to read it, but you won't figure out much. Fortunatley, my wife is Taiwanese and reads Mandarin, so we've deciphered most of it from the simplified Chinese instructions. [link=http://www.lightinthebox.com/640x480-High-Resolution-4GB-built-in-memory-Spy-Gum-Camera-XH-4292Hidden-Camera-CC-01-_p53042.html]Light in the Box[/link]
I was checking out the 4GB camera on www.lightinthebox.com and decided to check reviews from buyers from this site before purchasing. Boy I'm glad I did. If you google "light in the box review" and click on resellerratings.com you will find alot of customers have had problems recieving their order, being charged too much, not able to contact them, getting the wrong order and getting their refunds. I would not recommend buying from there.

As for the Grayson Hobby camera, I'm still checking it out for myself. I'm worried about reports on this thread of problems operating the camera and understanding the instructions. I like the videos I've seen this camera produce. But I may have to settle on the FlyCam One 2 because it's better known.

Is there anyone out there having good luck with the Grayson Hobby camera?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
cyclejockey

I'm gonna try the RC HEro 5 from GoPro. Not as specifically designed for RC as the flycam but I haven't seen great video from one to begin with. This camera has 5mp stills. and does video as well. I don't think it's that hard to rig up a servo that pans the camera and that was the only advantage I saw to the flycam. It's more pricey at $179.99 but comes with an SD card and lithium batteries. The proof will be when it arrives and goes for it's first ride. It's shockproof and waterproof to 100 ft as well. That's good insurance if you're flying over water.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 PM
FastVee

I have that MP10/Grayson/gum camera with 4GB card. It takes ok video, but the dam counter/time stamp is annoying...the seconds go way too fast(according to the counter, one minute of video lasts 2 minutes! -and I cant turn that thing off! (I tried it exactly how the instructions told to do)

Mine would not charge and XP would not recognize it until I changed the usb wire to better one and it started to charge and Xp recognizes it now ,so try that if you have charging difficulties.

If some one could help me with the time stamp thing ,I would appreciate it!
Old 09-25-2009, 10:40 PM
skydaddy436

I don't have the GRASON HOBBY camera but one just like it that I bought for 26.00 from ebay. It it good for a first camera, but I had some issues with it like the usb port is very fragile, after to or three times unplugging it, it broke one of those tiny pins and would'nt charge or recognize it. But I made do and soldered two wires a black and red one from the board and put a connector on it and run it outside the camera and it charges fine now. You just have to take the mini sd card out and put in in an adapter to upload to the computer. Takes ok video, and not as good photos, But still a decent camera for my first one, It is super lite too.

Here is a link of a video that I uploaded to you tube............ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuLkLQo2Hhg
Holler back if you have more questions.........Thanks hope this helps a little....?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.