Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Cleaning engine without removing?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Cleaning engine without removing?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 AM
TideFlyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning engine without removing?

Does anyone know of anything that can be used to remove burned castor from engines without having to remove the engine from the plane? If possible, I`d just like to clean some of the residue off of the outside of a couple of two strokes without making a project out of it. Thanks for any input.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default RE: Cleaning engine without removing?

As soon I read that I imagined some guy just putting the nose of his airplane in a crock-pot. HA
Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Of all the things I don't need to spend time doing, cleaning model airplane engines is right up there with rolling my socks together before putting them away in the drawer.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 AM
scottm50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure forums are for glib comments - thought they were here to give and get good advice - i would like to know how to clean my engines as well
Old 08-26-2009, 09:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There is a product called Dawn Power Dissolver. It will take off the burned on castor without having to use a crockpot. However, I don't recommend you use it with the engine on the plane. It could get on other parts of the plane and cause you problems such as covering lifting off the frame of the plane or glue joints weakening. You best bet is to remove the engine to clean it.

Ken
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If it's a cosmetic clean just to get the grunge off some power dissolver on a nylon brush would probably work fine. It won't get into all the crevises to help with heat, but it will brighten it up so that people don't talk about you.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:09 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're right Scott, it was glib, but next time you crash a plane due to a problem that you could have corrected ask yourself how you could have made better use of your free time to prevent it from happening.

For those who are worried about what others whisper about their dirty engines, don't fret. The whisperers will soon go back to watching Oprah and Dr. Phil as soon as they're done gossiping about your filthy engine. In the meantime you could have a tooth brush and dental floss in your tool kit, even set up your vehicle with an air compressor and a dust gun?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Tom Nied

At the end of every flying session I like to remove as much gunk that is on my model engine by gently wiping with a paper towel. Making sure I get into as many crevices as possible. A little Windex on the paper towel helps to remove any dirt or spent model fuel/castor that may be on it. The less left on it, the less that will be burned on it later.

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 08-26-2009, 11:33 AM
TideFlyer

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Of all the things I don't need to spend time doing, cleaning model airplane engines is right up there with rolling my socks together before putting them away in the drawer.
OK. Sorry I asked the question. I`ll make sure I think twice before doing it again.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:39 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: TideFlyer

quote]

OK. Sorry I asked the question. I`ll make sure I think twice before doing it again.
Hey don't be sorry, some people just like dirty engines and mismatched socks
Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

ORIGINAL: goirish

quote]

If you wear all the same color socks then you never have to worry about them being mismatched!!!!

Ken
Old 08-26-2009, 11:59 AM
scottm50

yeah don't be sorry - some like clean kit some aren't bothered either way - but some good tips on cleaning that i shall try - while i'm here - is it worth wrapping the engine in an oily (WD40) rag during storage ?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: RCKen

ORIGINAL: goirish

quote]

If you wear all the same color socks then you never have to worry about them being mismatched!!!! [img][/img]

Ken
My wife told me the other day that I had on one blue sock and one black sock. I told her I had another pair just like it.
Hows the hand doing.????
Old 08-26-2009, 12:09 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

It's getting better. Doesn't hurt as much, but it's sure slowing down my typing!!!

Ken
Old 02-05-2010, 01:39 AM
albsurfer

I used Dawn Power Dissolver tonight for the first time on my 55AX. It worked well. I had a lot of burnt on Castor on my engine. It took 3 sprayings with 20 minute soak cycles, then a nylon brush (toothbrush is good, too) to get it clean. The last of it came off better when I ran it under warm water and used the brush on it one last time. I got the fins and around the glow plug very clean. Remember to plug off the carb and exhaust ports to keep the stuff out of your engine. The smell reminds me of a cut-strength OVEN cleaner.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:27 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

What did you do to your hand, Ken?

Cleaning engines? Well, mine just don't get dirty. Well, not to dirty.. the most I have to clean off of them is the clipped grass stains from when they don't cut the grass at our field.

CGr.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Tom Nied

I tried the Dawn Power Dissolver and had excellent results. Took off my TT Pro 46 from my Debonair that I haven't done any maintenance on in the last 3 years and found motor mount screws not as tight as I would have liked, a missing backplate screw and the others loose and an engine pretty gunked up. Two sprayings and I think letting it sit a half hour. What I think helped was taking a toothpick and scraping around the thick stuff while the gell is doing its magic. Engine and muffler came out clean almost new. It certainly is as good or better than the crockpot method, and I hate to disassemble if not neccessary. It does seem to take off paint though. I'd have to say to guys, try this stuff, you'll like it.

I found my Dawn Power Disolver at WalMart where they have the regular Dawn dish detergent.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dawn-Pretr...fl-oz/11045822
Old 02-05-2010, 04:24 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Iam also a fan of Dawn power disolver,spray on let sit, scrub with wifes tooth brush Kidding on the wifes tooth brush, still had some stubborn stains that would not come off, resprayed and put in the oven at 175 degrees, that little bit of heat for about a half hour done the trick Looked like a new engine!
Old 02-05-2010, 05:59 PM
Lnewqban

Here it is:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40906.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	1372604  
Old 02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

But ya'll are removing the engine's...the whole glib thing is about..caring enough to want a clean engine and trust me I dont either CP , but not enough to take out the 2 muffler bolts, 4 mount screws and a carb screw to get it out of the plane,,if its been run hard, all those screws probably need checking anyway...just my .02...Rog
Old 02-05-2010, 08:17 PM
Tom Nied

yeah, but when you think about it, with the right tools at hand, it shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to remove an engine. I'm lucky I did to prevent a future bad run or deadstick. Screw set is on order. And now I have clean engine.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:29 PM
Lnewqban

1) Remove the cowl.
2) Wrap some plastic like Sahra Wrap around the nose of the fuse and firewall.
3) Plug the carburetor inlet.
4) Place the model vertically nose down.
5) Spray the cleaner over the engine and muffler.
6) Brush and wash with water.
7) Remove wrap.
8) Fire the engine up for a few minutes, in order to eliminate any water intrusion.
9) Enjoy the new look!
Old 02-06-2010, 01:09 AM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

aww why clean the engine? a dirty engine means your flying a lot which is a good thing. i poke fun at people with clean engines saying "that engines looks really clean.....i havnt seen you at the field in a while....aaah thats why your engine is so clean"
i do clean the engines every once and a while, i dont try and get all the junk off though