Community
Search
Notices
Team Associated - Monster GT Discuss all things AE MGT right here!

Diff issue on MGT 4.6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM
teluan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff issue on MGT 4.6?

I picked up a used mgt 4.6 and am having a blast with it. One of the things I have noticed is that it pulls harder with the front wheels than the rear (much harder in the front). Is this normal? Also when on my toolbox and not turned on, I noticed that when turning the spur gear each wheel rotates are slightly different speeds (noticeable but not huge). Is this normal?

Thanks
Old 08-17-2009, 04:58 PM
redlined_b16a

Default RE: Diff issue on MGT 4.6?

Sounds like the prevouis owner may have installed diffrent ring or pinions in either the front or rear.I would dissassemble both diffs and compare the number of teeth on both ring and pinion gears.If its even possible to have diffrent gear options avalible,I dont thing the tranny has a center diff
Old 08-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Ghase

Re-check the oils in the diffs, you may need a thicker oil in the back....
Old 08-18-2009, 02:07 PM
teluan

Really? I am fairly new to a 4x4 RC (always had 2 wheel drive units that were 1/10 scale and simple) and am not really familiar with their diffs. I am surprised to read this post as I did not realize the oil viscosity had any bearing on the slip. I was playing with my mgt 4.6 last night and really noticed that only the front wheels were really turning. The rear only turn when I lift the front off the ground.

Other than oil in the diff, what other components may be the cause? Is there a part that needs to be tightened to limit the slip? How do I get equal power to the front and rear wheels...is equal power what I am even trying for?

Thanks
ORIGINAL: Ghase

Re-check the oils in the diffs, you may need a thicker oil in the back....
Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM
redlined_b16a

O.k. so its not giving you equal power transfer,There is no center diff so it should be gettin equal power to the front and rear,try this:Lift the front off the ground and let the back wheels touch the ground,Pull the truck so that the back wheels are rolling,Hold the front wheels,If the back wheelsroll without the front rolling,you have a problem for sure.Then verify that the center driveshafts are turning,Maybe a set screw is loose on the rear and is allowing the shaft to slip.Diff oils do tune diffs but in your case with only front and rear diffs,Thicker oils will give you a tighter diff(Spin the tires more)Thinner oils will give you less.Thick oil is fun on a basher but with these high power trucks thick oil can form excess heat in a diff
Old 08-18-2009, 11:57 PM
teluan

Thanks very much redlined_b16a. I took apart the diffs and found the problem. The inner bearing inside the rear diff disintegrated and was all mangled up inside the diff. This allowed the connector to the driveshaft to slip forward under load (hence why it spins by hand, feels right but has not power when the engine is on). All is fixed now.

Thanks very much for the help here.

Old 08-30-2009, 04:08 PM
walkingtall
My Feedback: (1)

I took my son's truck apart today to find the same thing teluan. I am gonna order some extra bearings and rebuilt it.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:30 PM
jermainezey

do u know how to put a .21 pull start back togather mines an ae .21 i dont know how to put the pull start back the way it should be
Old 08-30-2009, 09:33 PM
teluan

ORIGINAL: jermainezey

do u know how to put a .21 pull start back togather mines an ae .21 i dont know how to put the pull start back the way it should be
if you download the mgt manual from ae's website it shows detailed drawings of every component including the starter.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 PM
jermainezey

i dont have the stock .18 engine i put in a ae .21 engine
Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
mgt killer

im having problems with my mgt  for some reason when i nail it i can hear a loud cliking noise with a loss of power from the rear wheels and the front pulls harder ?

Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 AM
smokeymaronejpfxb8

BLOWN DIFF, OR DISLODGED SET SCREW ONREAR CENTER DRIVE SHAFT.