Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Welcome to Club SAITO !

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM
rmillerawacs
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

Can someone help me with setting up a smoke system on my 62 saito??? I have it on my hanger 9 cub that I thrash!! I wish hanger 9 made a clipped wing one?? They did a great job on the newer 80 inch one!! I would love to set one up to do a little more 3-d stuff!! I might have to convert mine to one if I ever have one of those ooooops moments and need to do some repair work on it!!!

Also...............Is there anything else you can use for smoke oil???? Just wondering???

Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

I have several wrenches hacked off for various engines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39639.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	1265219  
Old 08-29-2009, 10:35 AM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

ORIGINAL: rmillerawacs

Can someone help me with setting up a smoke system on my 62 saito??? I have it on my hanger 9 cub that I thrash!! I wish hanger 9 made a clipped wing one?? They did a great job on the newer 80 inch one!! I would love to set one up to do a little more 3-d stuff!! I might have to convert mine to one if I ever have one of those ooooops moments and need to do some repair work on it!!!

Also...............Is there anything else you can use for smoke oil???? Just wondering???

Thanks
Whoa! Easy on the !!!!!!!!!!!!!'s & ?????????'s there cowboy!

I don't know of anybody making a smoke muffler for a Saito that small. Slimline makes one for the Saito 80, but that appears to be the smallest Saito listed on their website. Incidentally, they also make a nice smoke pump. W8ye or Hobbsy might be able to tell you if that muffler could work on your 62.

Smoke systems aside, if you're looking to do 3D with an 80" Cub, you're going to need a lot more engine than that. A 62 is a nice match for that airframe but you're not anywhere near the power to weight ratio needed for doing anything extreme, even if you were to clip the wings. Although I can't imagine wanting to, I'd probably go with a 1.25 should I be inclined to "thrash" a Cub that size. Bennett's Best is a good smoke oil.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:00 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my limited experience with Cubs, I understand that a larger engine is needed/desired in the clipped wing varients vice the full span versions. My thinking this is due to the full scale "flying on the wing" and the clipped wing version "flying more on the prop". I have the Sig 1/4 scale full span Cub with a EI modified G23. I was thinking of clipping the wings and a larger engine for more aerobatics, and contacted Sig, since they have a clipped wing kit for the same airframe. They said that the full scale "clipping" involved removing ribs from the ROOT end of the wing, not the TIP. Other mods were also required to handle the extra stress from the anticipated aerobatics. Their clipped wing kit follows this design, and also is one piece vice the two piece full span 1/4 scale wing. I have also the CG Anniversary Cub that was clipped before I got it for rebuild. It calls for a 40 engine unclipped and a 60 when clipped.
Old 08-29-2009, 02:25 PM
rmillerawacs
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: GaGeeBees

Thanks
Whoa! Easy on the !!!!!!!!!!!!!'s & ?????????'s there cowboy!

I don't know of anybody making a smoke muffler for a Saito that small. Slimline makes one for the Saito 80, but that appears to be the smallest Saito listed on their website. Incidentally, they also make a nice smoke pump. W8ye or Hobbsy might be able to tell you if that muffler could work on your 62.

Smoke systems aside, if you're looking to do 3D with an 80'' Cub, you're going to need a lot more engine than that. A 62 is a nice match for that airframe but you're not anywhere near the power to weight ratio needed for doing anything extreme, even if you were to clip the wings. Although I can't imagine wanting to, I'd probably go with a 1.25 should I be inclined to ''thrash'' a Cub that size. Bennett's Best is a good smoke oil.
First Off!! Thanks for telling me how to write!!!!!!

Anyway, What about drilling and tapping the 62 muffler for smoke? Just not sure where would be the best place to tap??? What temp does the smoke oil / liquid need to work? I found this on tower http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XZ674&P=7#tech looks like what I am looking for. I might have to try it.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:51 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The 80 muffler will fit the 65, 72, 80, 82, 91, 100, 115

It will not fit the 62

edited to test something, nothing in message changed
Old 08-29-2009, 04:22 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

First Off!! Thanks for telling me how to write!!!!!!

Anyway, What about drilling and tapping the 62 muffler for smoke? Just not sure where would be the best place to tap??? What temp does the smoke oil / liquid need to work? I found this on tower http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XZ674&P=7#tech looks like what I am looking for. I might have to try it.
First off, you're welcome. Somebody had to.

I doubt that you're going to get great results just by tapping the standard muffler. The smoke mufflers I've used have all had a small coil of metal tubing inside the muffler that the smoke oil passed through in order to get hot enough. Just pumping smoke oil directly into a standard muffler is probably not going to work very well. Let us know how it goes if you try it.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:03 PM
jantrit

Anyone know where to get saito spares in the UK?

Thanks
Michael
Old 08-29-2009, 07:39 PM
mono wing

rmillerawacs
You might try some of these links there is alot of useful info
the link I removed wasn't what I wanted to put here.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_12...tm.htm#1233478
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_28...tm.htm#2863342
Old 08-29-2009, 07:55 PM
mono wing

lets see if this one works for the smoke system
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=455

ya thats the one
Old 08-29-2009, 08:17 PM
stallwart

ORIGINAL: spaceworm

In my limited experience with Cubs, I understand that a larger engine is needed/desired in the clipped wing varients vice the full span versions. My thinking this is due to the full scale ''flying on the wing'' and the clipped wing version ''flying more on the prop''. I have the Sig 1/4 scale full span Cub with a EI modified G23. I was thinking of clipping the wings and a larger engine for more aerobatics, and contacted Sig, since they have a clipped wing kit for the same airframe. They said that the full scale ''clipping'' involved removing ribs from the ROOT end of the wing, not the TIP. Other mods were also required to handle the extra stress from the anticipated aerobatics. Their clipped wing kit follows this design, and also is one piece vice the two piece full span 1/4 scale wing. I have also the CG Anniversary Cub that was clipped before I got it for rebuild. It calls for a 40 engine unclipped and a 60 when clipped.
The World Models 1/6 Clipped Wing Cub 48 might be a candidate, although some 3D maneuvers (hovering) might require at least a 72. I had this plane powered with a 62 and it is a great flier, being more aerobatic than my flying ability could demonstrate. Knife edge passes were impressive.

I gave the plane to a friend who is mounting it on floats, but kept the engine.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 PM
mike early

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have a guess when the metal backplates might become available in the USA for the .72 and the .82?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 PM
w8ye

It is usually about 6 months after Saito has their big annoucement in Japan
Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Chancho

Pumps:

Has anyone tried a small electrical pump to give a regulated supply of fuel to their Saitos? I have a miniature pump with more than adequate pressure and flow, no pulses and variable rate that I was thinking to test. Presently I use the VP-20 with good results, but it could be better? …Hence this inquiry. I suppose it’d be easy enough to set up on the test stand but if anyone has any experience with this stuff, your feedback would help. Flow Rate? Pressure, etc...

Thanks,

Phil
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89757.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1265995  
Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Ken Cz

ORIGINAL: Ken Cz

Hi Guys,
I am hoping you can help me again,

My newer Saito 115 was involved in a minor impact and one of the push rod tubes (and the push rod I assume) is bent significantly.

Are they easy to replace? Would rather do it myself instead of sending it in.

Can anyone tell me the procedure and what I need to aware of?

I am thinking I would need to replace the valve cover gaskets and the lower push rod cover plate gasket as well. Correct?

Thanks,
Ken
Well, thanks to help from Club Saito and Hobbys I did manage to remove my 115 pushrods and sure enough one had a .010 est. bend in it.
As far as the bent pushrod 'tube' I was able to remove the kink-bend by pushing progressively larger steel rods or the correct diameter inside of it and it worked like a charm - of course, it was not severely bent or kinked.
Waiting for new pushrods to come in and then it's on to valve adjustments.....may be back again looking for help on that - for now, I'll follow the manual.
Thanks again for all the help.
Ken
Old 08-30-2009, 10:56 PM
CLovell
My Feedback: (21)

Ok, this has probably all been covered before so I’ll start out apologizing for the repeat and I’ll cut to the chase on the questions followed by some details of each… but… two things…
What is recommended ideal prop for the 1.80 in my application (80†warbird)?
What seems to be the best valve lash figures for the 1.80?

One: I have a Saito 1.80 on an 80†H9 P-51. I have been running an 18x8 on it with 15% nitro fuel, and OS “F†plugs. That’s the largest prop size recommended in the manual, and it seems to turn it up ok, not in the 9000’s obviously but usually in the low 8’s. Some folks would say that’s too much prop for it, but I’d also hear an equal number of comments that it should turn it just fine. The thing that surprised me is even with that much prop it still turns it fast enough to take the tips sonic. So what is recommended ideal prop for that application (80†warbird)? Other notes on this installation are that it’s inverted in the Mustang and I run full time on-board glow plug power as well.

Second part… like a dummy I followed the manual and adjusted the valves after the recommended time in service. Wished I hadn’t touched them, because it’s not run nearly as good since. I wished I had measured the actual lash before I “set†them. I had them so they’d pass a .003 but not .004. Performance was unsatisfactory and the thing always wants to run backward on start up, very sensitive to rich mixture now. So, I opened the lash up to pass .005 but not .006. It seems like things may be better but not necessarily. So what seems to be the best valve lash figures for the 1.80?

Any other comments or tips are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Craig
Old 08-30-2009, 11:18 PM
Phantom4
My Feedback: (31)

Hi Craig!I have the same plane H-9 P-51D Mustang V2.I'm using a Saito 180 ,15% Cool Power, and Zinger 17x10 prop.If you want to see how it fly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi9HU7fW0FI
Old 08-31-2009, 08:26 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Craig, I run all my Saitos at .004", that is what the stock Saito guage is, the valve lash is far from critical on a Saito. Your setting is not causing your mixture issues. I have have never owned a 1.80 so I'll avoid comments on the prop question, very rarely do I comment on something I don't actually own and have experience with. Personally I'd peak the HS needle to absolute peak and lean the LS needle a little more. Then put the HS needle back to your normal setting.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:40 PM
fourstar2

I run a saito 62a on my mayhem 40 with the supplied tank and I get about 12 to 14 mins before i dead stick. It may just be the displacement differencebetween thetwo engines (mine and yours) or youre running really rich which can make a big differnce in fuel consumption. My 62a turns an apc 13x6 @ about 9,300-9,400 rpm from a lean peak of about 9,700 rpm, just remember with a 72 youre slightly over powered on a mayhem 40, not saying thats bad granted you manage the throttle well.But with my 62 it lifts my mayhem straight up like a antigravity device and when i say that i get 12 to 14 mins before dead stick i hammer the throttle for aerobatics and maneuvers quiet a bit during flight. If you have the time and money going to a 62a would never be a bad thing slightly lighter and probably almost as much power if not the same, (newer lighter engine). Hope that helps. happy flyin
Old 08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
japes999
My Feedback: (9)

I apologize if this has been covered, I did some searches, but found nothing.

I ahve an older FA-120S with the airbleed carb. Very low hours, running castor/synthetic blend, and a 15x8 MA prop.

Runs good, high end set to about 8500 RPM (maxes out at 8900) if I remember right, idles at 2200, transitions OK too. One problem though - when running at high speed and throttling down quickly it will die. If throttling down slowly, it is fine. Any clue as to what might be causing this?
Old 08-31-2009, 02:26 PM
w8ye

You probably have a older 120. The 120S does not have a airbleed carb

I would raise the idle speed up just a little to get away from the quitting
Old 08-31-2009, 03:55 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

What does one do to become a member of Club Saito??

How are the numbers designated??

I've been trying to become part of this exclusive institution for some time now.....what does it take?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Chancho

All you have to do is ship a brand new Saito motor to Farmington Hills Michigan, pick your flavor. I don't know when you'll get it back and at that point I can (unofficially) add you to the club...

I'm not a member either, but enjoy the thread. W8ye, anyone? Can I join, too?

I have, love and cherish the following;

Saito 125
Saito 115
Saito 100

Looking forward to the new motor,

Phil
Old 08-31-2009, 07:16 PM
CLovell
My Feedback: (21)

Phantom4... What RPM are you getting out of the 17x10? - Craig
Old 08-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Phantom4
My Feedback: (31)

With open-up throtle aprr.9.600-9.700RPM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.