Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

New to RC gliders/sailplanes???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

New to RC gliders/sailplanes???

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 11:58 PM
cj007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to RC gliders/sailplanes???

Hi,
I have been interested in r/c gliders/sailplanesfor years but could not get myself to buy a plane for fear of crashing, thus wasting my money. Correct me if Iam wrong but from my research, first time flyers should persue a foam plane due to their durability??? but the downfall is that they are heavier??? Also, I have been told my an older fellow to start with 4 channels because thats the"correct way to fly?" Ineed some input as to a first time glider/sailplane??? I have never built a plane before, so Iam wondering if there are any RTFs available???and if so are there any 4 channels??? I say this becuase Iwas thinking of later adding a power pod if Iactually learn to fly. Also,I am unfamiliar with theelectronic such asthe different types of servosand the radios???Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
cj
Old 08-29-2009, 01:02 AM
scaflock

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to RC gliders/sailplanes???

I myself started out on a 2 channel woody plane but picked up a 4 channel radio so I'd have expansion available for after I'd learned the basics. There are a couple of good "Trainer" gliders out there that don't cost an arm and a leg. Check Tower Hobbies to get a better idea on those. Easy star and up star are a couple of them. There are others out there Like the Radian electric powered that are also very good planes and good thermal ships.

If there is a club near you I'd STRONGLY suggest that you contact them before you buy anything. Most clubs are willing to show a new comer the ropes and their help can keep you from making mistakes that could make you want to leave the hobby before you've really had a chance to get started the right way.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:42 AM
cj007

Thanks for the input about the club, although Ilive in the sticks with farm fields around the house. Lets forget props and power podsto make it safer. What would be yourchoice for a first time pure sailplane, radio andelectronics???
Old 08-29-2009, 03:52 AM
Tinkrerpilot
My Feedback: (2)

Got ot agree with scaflock on the ideas and do's with the don'ts. BUt for what you are asking the Vista is always a good one to start with in a glider. Simple 3 channel radio (4 or more is advisable for upgrades), and a standard hi-start for launching the glider. Pretty simple by most means. You can look around and find Goldberg Spectre ARF or a Gentle Lady ARF, and a Hitec 3 channel radio for a easy on the pocket book setup. Grat Planes Fling comes to mind. Agin the 3 channel radio, and it comes with a launcher to get oyu going. You want to make sure get teh radio with the micro HS-55 servos to fit into the plane.
Some ideas listed here .

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLGM5&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXGVW2&P=ML

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXLGF4**&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXTX42

The spend some time around here looking in the threads and the forums. DO a search for beginner gliders.
You will find all sorts of information. Just have to spend a little time.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE637&P=7
Old 08-29-2009, 06:42 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cj007

Hi,
I have been interested in r/c gliders/sailplanes for years but could not get myself to buy a plane for fear of crashing, thus wasting my money.

Correct me if I am wrong but from my research, first time flyers should persue a foam plane due to their durability??? but the downfall is that they are heavier???

Wrong about foam? Well, sorta.
The ones that're available are smaller than you should start with. And the durability isn't really a problem. Thermal gliders almost fly themselves. Start with a 2meter and it'll be large enough for you to actually suceed at finding and using lift.

With gliders, it's really not about the flying, but about the tactics for finding lift.

Also, I have been told my an older fellow to start with 4 channels because thats the''correct way to fly?''
And that's a good example of why it'd be good to find some glider flyers. Thermal gliders that're best for a beginner are rudder/elevator types with dihedral (or polyhedral) wings that provide very good roll stability. They give obvious response when they bump into a thermal and they fly hands off when just a speck.

I need some input as to a first time glider/sailplane??? I have never built a plane before, so I am wondering if there are any RTFs available??? and if so are there any 4 channels??? I say this becuase I was thinking of later adding a power pod if I actually learn to fly. Also, I am unfamiliar with the electronic such as the different types of servos and the radios??? Your help is greatly appreciated .
Thanks,
cj
Look around for a group of glider flyers. There is a LOT to learn and they'll help immensely.

Your idea about flying off a local farm field needs some discussion. They'll explain some of the problems to solve with that and the model building or buying etc
Old 08-29-2009, 04:40 PM
cj007

I really appreciate the info and Ihave done hrs or research and now my head is spinning as to whatglider to buy and if I should go electric or pure sailplane. Iread reviews about the raiden, although there wassomething about if one used the electric motor too much it would overheat and be ruined?Ialso looked atthe multiplex easy glider/pro glider but Idont know if it would be a good choice for a first time flyer???

Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM
cj007

Ok, so after extensive research I chose three electric sailplanes but have some questions about them.

Radian ElectricSailplane RTF which was suggested. I am wondering if there is really an issue with the motor or battery overheating from a lot of use??? Someone had brought this up on one of the forums and I am searching for the truth of the matter

"Easy Fly RTF EPP sailplane." Ihave no ideawho makes this sailplane??? Does anyone know of this particular glider???The design seems similiar to the Radianbut the RTF package is different such as the electronics and transmitter. I amwondering which is better as far as qualityand betterbuy between the Raidian RTFand the "Easy Fly RTF EPP???"

Spectra Electric Sailplane RTF compared to Radian andEasy Fly???

Your final thoughtregardingthe entire RTFpackage including the better electronics(servos, transmitter)as well as the better plane???

Thanks in advance for you expertise
Old 08-30-2009, 02:45 AM
cj007

I am crossing the "Easy Fly RTF" off the list because its hard to get and I bet parts are as well. I also decided to cross off the Spectra RTF after reading about weak electronics. I hear the Radian as a weak tail which is prone to breakage? Not many RTF gliders left? I guess its either the Radian or the Multiplex Easy Star??? Which is the better package???
Old 08-30-2009, 03:53 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Few modifications to the Radian fixes problems there. The mods the guys make are pretty straight forward and esy to do with a minimum of parts. Overall it is a good flying machine. Not made for hotliner performance but it will fly. I am enjoying mine. You have to start somewhere.
Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 AM
AH1G

Here's my .02 cents worth...
I started in the 70's with soaring, RTF's were not available so I built my first sailplane. Something simple about a 48" wing span. The wings were polyhedrial and the plane was very stable. It required 2 channels to fly, but folks I knew advised me to buy a 4+ channel radio, I bought an EK. A power flyer helped me trim it out.
From there I found a field folks were using to fly sailplanes, went out and was LUCKY enought to run into Dave Banks and Bob Dodgson there. Dave was flying a "Todi" and Bob was flying a prototype "Maesto". Dave was kind enough to get the plane launched on a highstart and give me some basic instruction. Then I follwed them around the sky.

The point is, that building my own plane gave me the skills to repair the plane when crashed as I was familiar with its construction. Buying a 4 channel radio allowed me to move up to ailerions and flaps. (I ended up with a 9 channel radio when I added spoilers and tow hook release.)
A plane with polyhedrial is more stable and if properly trimmed will allow the plane to recover by itself, IF you remember to keep your fingers off of the controls. You do not need a big sailplane to start out, just the basics (KISS principal.) Find someone to help you trim it out and get you started.

After 35 years I'm back into sailplanes. I bought an ARF, what a mistake!! It had to be recovered, the fuselage was weak and was dry seamed.
I ended up spending the same amount of time fixing a bunch of chinamans poor workmanship.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:53 PM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to consider a brush less Easy Star. It is a great sailplane. And it is tough as nails. I have the Asscent, the Radian, and the Easy Star. The Easy Star is my favorite of these three. I do not like the stock Easy Star but with a good brush less and a 2100 3 cell lipo you have a great sailplane.

It is hard to learn to fly sailplanes without some one to help you.

Do you have a budget?

Todd
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 AM
cj007

I am just your average Joe, so Ihave a budget. I have been going back and fourth between the Radian RTFand Easy Star RTF.

On the one hand I believe the Radian has a better Transmitter( DX5) which would allow me togrow to more channels and I would not have to buy another transmitter down the road with other planes???

The Easy Star RTF comes with that Hitec transmitter, whichis only 3 channels, so Iwould have to buy another transmitter down the road.

I don't think themotor on theEasy Staris brushless, which wouldlead me to believe it would burn up quicker???

I knowyou suggested to upgrade to a brushless motor,but Ihave no ideawhat kind of motorand size to upgrade toand what else Iwould need to make the new motor work with the electronics???

Is the Easy Star that much easier to fly than the Radian???

As far as bothRTF gliderpackages,I can't help but leanto the Radian due to the better electronicssuch as the transmitter, althoughIam stillhaving trouble deciding between the two and wondering which is the better flying plane???
Old 08-31-2009, 03:14 AM
Tinkrerpilot

Pick one! You have to start somewhere...........
Easy star is a good starter model just as the Radian is. Either one would be good for someone just starting in the hobby.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:56 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cj007

I am just your average Joe, so I have a budget. I have been going back and fourth between the Radian RTF and Easy Star RTF.

On the one hand I believe the Radian has a better Transmitter( DX5) which would allow me to grow to more channels and I would not have to buy another transmitter down the road with other planes???

The Easy Star RTF comes with that Hitec transmitter, which is only 3 channels, so I would have to buy another transmitter down the road.

I don't think the motor on the Easy Star is brushless, which would lead me to believe it would burn up quicker???

I know you suggested to upgrade to a brushless motor, but I have no idea what kind of motor and size to upgrade to and what else I would need to make the new motor work with the electronics???

Is the Easy Star that much easier to fly than the Radian???

As far as both RTF glider packages, I can't help but lean to the Radian due to the better electronics such as the transmitter, although I am still having trouble deciding between the two and wondering which is the better flying plane???

You've missed a number of details. There really are quite a number of significant differences between those two.

The Easy Star is more of a toy. It's smaller and with gliders that is a significant negative. If there is only one difference and it's size, the larger almost always wins. In this case there are a number of other details. The Easy Star RTF appears to come with a TX that has only one stick. That radio won't grow with you, period. The motor is brushed. It drives a tiny prop. That combination works ok for cheap parkflyers made for flying close to the pilot, but you appear to want more than that. The elepor foam sounds like a good idea, but you won't find it used by gliders that're large enough to perform like r/c gliders can. The Easy Star might be a decent enough thing to learn how to steer a glider around a park, but it's not going to do much more. And nothing in the combined package is capable of moving up to the next level with you as you advance.

The Radian is a 2meter. It's been mentioned before that size is about where decent R/C glider performance starts. The DX5e radio has two sticks and that means 4 channels. And of course, it's advertised as a 5-channel radio. The motor included is advertised as a brushless outrunner. Big plus there. The radian rtf package really doesn't have a major detraction anywhere when compared to the Easy Star which doesn't have much potential at all.

If you really want to fly gliders, the Radian is a heck of a lot better start. On the other hand, if you're honestly interested in the future, get a Gentle Lady kit and build it. Buy your radio in a set. The DX5e package at $99 is a heck of a deal but there are a couple of better choices if the future matters. An Upstart added to those other two purchases still brings the total investment in under the cost of the RTF Radian package.

If you really want to fly gliders, you're not going to find any foam RTFs beyond what you're considering now. To do more than buy and fly, you will have to learn to build and repair. Unless you've got an unlimited budget, that is.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:07 PM
cj007

Thanks for pointing out the differences of both planes.

The DX5e with theRadian RTFwould allow me to grow toailerons and I would just have to buy a second plane???

I don't know of any other transmitters that come with a RTF like the radian that would allow me to grow???

What would be the other transmitter choices for the future???

Is it best that a beginner not fly a plane with ailerons at first until after some flying experience???
Old 09-06-2009, 10:53 PM
freisfly

I am new as well...was stoked to see about 5 guys fighting with wings in Hawaii one day...I purchased a Windrider Bee2 along with a Hitec Optic 6 radio...In assembling the plane I have run into a problem...Ming Lou, the guy who manufactures the plane out of Hong Kong did not include instructions...he emailed me a pdf file that did not fill in many blanks...I queried him repeatedly without mush success...Ming Lou does not want to deal with a beginner, his grasp of the english language is poor or he is not very patient...Anyone have a Bee2?...I use a Mac computer and am looking for a simulator program as well...Any help is greatly appreciated...