Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

GRAYSONHOBBY.COM DANGER!!!

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

GRAYSONHOBBY.COM DANGER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
focusproduct

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GRAYSONHOBBY.COM DANGER!!!

All right, now I'm ticked. GraysonHobby.com SUCKS! DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY. I bought my first brushless motor with included esc and mount from them and had to return it because the motor didn't fit in the included mount. I made sure that they were aware as to why I was returning this item. Then they send me back, in replacement, another unit that doesn't fit in the mount either! When I email them to let them know of the problem they pretend I'm the stupid one and tell me to 'press harder.' I couldn't tap this thing in with a hammer if I tried, not alone on a small balsa framed plane like the lady bug. Moral of the story: GRAYSONHOBBY.COM sucks balls! Go to another vender!

jon r.

If they do not correct the problem I will be making a youtube.com video that will explain and demonstrate their troubled parts!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

Default RE: GRAYSONHOBBY.COM DANGER!!!

Which brushless motor was it? Can you show us a picture as well of the "troubled" area please. I have never bought from Grayson but the dude on RC Super Powers that endorses them has some crazy and ingenious ideas....

Z
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 PM
focusproduct

Yes, your right, he does. Which is how I heard of them. But I wouldn't step near GRAYSONHOBBY.COM! I am uploading a youtube.com video that depicts everything!

jon r.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:08 AM
focusproduct

HERE IS THE VIDEO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4PpJlGpj-M
Old 08-20-2009, 08:32 AM
jzrf6c

I've had the same problem from other vendors. Once I found that do to mfging a ridge was left inside the flange. Simple emory cloth smoothed it out and the peices fit fine. No excuse for this just the Chinese way of cutting corners.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 AM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the video provided I can see that the motor WILL fit in the mount. It just takes a bit of perseverance and maybe some sanding like jzrf6c says........
Did you try using some calipers to see if the OD of the motor can and the ID of the mount are close? I have probably 6 of these lil bell motors with the same mount and have even gone so far on one of them to use a drill and "clean up" the inside of the mount. That is so close to fitting (you did have it partially inserted) the mount just needs to be worked a little. Don't give up man! Part of this hobby includes being a true Stone Age Technology expert. If ya ain't got the proper tools........use the tools ya have at hand.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Lt_Smash
My Feedback: (19)

I normally do not respond to outlandish posts, but when 5 customers and a RCU admin inform us how unfair this thread is I thought I would say something.

Like jon.r stated, we replaced the combo no questioned asked and he had the new combo with in a week. We have sold over 1000 of these combos this year and only 2 combos have had 'fitting' issues, both are from jon r.

I just opened an box and we fitted all 20 motors with no issues. If these were any looser, then the motor could and would fly off in flight, then youll have a MUCH larger problem.

Im not arguing the motor does not fit, my point is that we supported your questions you asked, before, during, and after the sale.

We stand behind our products 100% and just email us at the shop if you want a refund

Old 08-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Zim-uh-tosa

I agree Grayson...After watching the video, I can't see the problem. I will chalk it up to unexperience with motors/hobbies/fabrication or? Just takes a little practice and patience. Every RC hobby I participate in has me modifying brand new parts to make them work. I guess I am used to it and expect it.

Focus~We feel your pain, but it's part of the hobby....Don't give up and don't get frustrated. Maybe you need to spend some time at your local field hitting up the old farts like me for tips and tricks? Flying don't come easy nor cheap either....Have fun!

Z
Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I have to say posting the video goes against your point. I little light sanding and it should go right in. I have been doing this 20 years. I have yet to buy a kit or an ARF that was perfect. Every one of them needs a little of this or that, here or there. It's part of the hobby. IMHO

David
Old 08-21-2009, 02:31 PM
speedy72vega

Looking at the video, it seeems that the mount is supposed to be a pressed fit???? Otherwise, what would keep the motor from coming out in flight as Lt smash stated? Is there a set screw to keep the motor in the mount? Like a grub screw? Or is it just pressed in to hold it? If it's just pressed in, then it should be a very tight fit to keep the motor in. Just an observation..............
If it's press fit, the mount would need to be installed PRIOR to installing the motor on the plane, because you definitely don't want to press it in with the mount on the plane first.
Once again, i'm just making an observation based solely on your video, as i'm not personally familiar with this product.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 PM
1THEPALMER
My Feedback: (1)

Did you BACK OUT the setscrew?????? @ the 7 to 10 sec mark you can see it protuding on the inside!
Beginer Kid, good with a computer no good in the real world.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 AM
focusproduct

Of course the set screw is backed out. Check your eyes, that's my thumb. What made me post the video is the fact that this was the second motor/mount with the same issue. When I asked them about it the first time it was news to them. Along comes the second motor with the same problem. and now they still say there's not a problem. Thus, my frustration. I've been rc modeling for ten years now. The only reason I'm sharing this is so that maybe someone could avoid a similar frustrating experience. Take from it what you want.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:34 AM
p51rc

I also have bought several of those motor types. I'm not defending Greyson or bashing anybody else. But it seems they rarely fit perfectly. Usually it's when they tap the holes it seems there is always a burr. And don't even get me started on my plastis stick mounts. Form motors that don't mount to ARF's that aren't that's just the way it is. And just because EVERYONE does it dosen't make itright. Live long enough and you'll probably do it too. Respectfully sir 10yrs in the hobby and thisit your first bad mount, I was I was that lucky. Good luck in the future. Good video but a Scanning TunnelingMicroscopefocused on the inside of the mount would have been slightly more informative
Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
mudmarine

ORIGINAL: p51rc

Good video but a Scanning Tunneling Microscope focused on the inside of the mount
[sm=lol.gif]
[sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif][sm=lol.gif]
Old 09-16-2009, 03:25 PM
SkaBob

ORIGINAL: focusproduct

Of course the set screw is backed out. Check your eyes, that's my thumb. What made me post the video is the fact that this was the second motor/mount with the same issue. When I asked them about it the first time it was news to them. Along comes the second motor with the same problem. and now they still say there's not a problem. Thus, my frustration. I've been rc modeling for ten years now. The only reason I'm sharing this is so that maybe someone could avoid a similar frustrating experience. Take from it what you want.
Two of the same mass-produced product in a short timeframe could well be a batch that's slightly out of spec from the manufacturer.

That being the case, why would you blame the store you bought it from?