Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

why am i eating up clutch bells?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Dannn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why am i eating up clutch bells?

i set my mesh perfectly with paper. and i still eat up clutch bells... i have an RRP 38t spur gear, could that be it? its just chewing them down to nothing.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:27 PM
absolutemayhem

Default RE: why am i eating up clutch bells?

stick with the plastic spur gear....they can handle my .28 ninja....
Old 09-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Snook Man

The RRP spurs are hardened steel...The TRX clutch bells are not hardened. The RRP spur will win every time.
Either get a hardened steel clutch bell, or use the plastic spur which works well under any power when set properly.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:24 AM
keithinspace

Absolutely correct. MUST run RRP pinions with RRP spurs. Either run all stock or all RRP. I did it once with the same effect...unfortunately, it wrecked my bearings too making the fix even more expensive.

I have run stock gears during heavy bashing with the RedDot for a while. It handles the power just fine. The only down-side is that eventually, the plastic gear will wear away, forcing maintenance that you either do before it breaks (pain) or after it breaks (after the first 1/4 tank of my day-o-bashing, it seems).

RRP allows you to install it and forget it...one less thing to break.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:08 PM
cmerritt

my advice is to ditch the RRP spur gear and go back to plastic. plastic works great if you set it up correctly!
Old 09-04-2009, 06:15 PM
absolutemayhem

ORIGINAL: keithinspace

Absolutely correct. MUST run RRP pinions with RRP spurs. Either run all stock or all RRP. I did it once with the same effect...unfortunately, it wrecked my bearings too making the fix even more expensive.

I have run stock gears during heavy bashing with the RedDot for a while. It handles the power just fine. The only down-side is that eventually, the plastic gear will wear away, forcing maintenance that you either do before it breaks (pain) or after it breaks (after the first 1/4 tank of my day-o-bashing, it seems).

RRP allows you to install it and forget it...one less thing to break.
if your stripping spurs that fast, you either have a bad mesh.. or your chassis is flexing way to much....ive hade my spur for 8 months now with little wear showing.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Dannn

thanks guys. i'm going to my lhs to get a stock clutch bell... and a plastic slipper gear, probably 2 or 3 of them to be exact. i also need a slipper rebuild kit.