Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

thinking of steam

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

thinking of steam

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:03 PM
benny2.0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: thinking of steam

LOL. Any valve will work.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM
hpiguy

ORIGINAL: Bluebrew

Rats...the Myrtle Corey at the LHS is gone! Quess I'll order one from Tower.Rglass,I was thinking about all the windows and railings on a riverboat...OH MY! I love to build things but that could get tedious. Didn't even consider all the rounded corners.At first I thought the Myrtle Corey was a bit "homely', but the more I look at it the more I like It. Hey benny2.0, glad to here you seen those stable boats with your own eyes! I'm gonna quit worrying about it. They wouldn't market these kits if they rolled over would they.(or would they?) I can't lay-up my own hulls so I'll have to make do with OE. Just have to keep the heavy stuff LOW!
Did you get your Corey yet? I saw onbe on Tower this week in scratch and dent fora really lowprice, box damage only.

Showed up, fine shape, box had the label missing and a dent in it but that's fine with me. Dirt cheap for the kit. In fact it was like getting the 12V gear motor and rudder servo and glues for free.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Bluebrew
My Feedback: (1)

No hpiguy, I went nuts and got a Creole Queen off fleabay. It came with all kinds of goodies! RAM caliope, steam whistle, Mack smoke geneator, 2 ESC's(one for bow thruster),Dumas motor and gear reduction and some other stuff I'm not quite sure about. It came with the hull already built and I'm pretty sure it's a better job than I could have done. It's sanding out very nice. Does anyone think this hull requires glassing, or would sealing and paint be enough, seems really solid to me. Even though it came with electric running gear, I'm still wanting to go steam. The nice engines I see seem very reasonable as far as price, but the boilers are beyond my budget!!! I successfully built a steam "monster truck" with a large Wilesco twin DA. I know they(Wilesco) are considered "toy" steamers, but it moved that heavy truck(slowly) along for 8-10 minutes. I doubt a riverboat would be near as much a load! Slill thinkin"
Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Bluebrew

Ok, after fairing and sanding some more I can see that glassing the hull is required! I have only worked with that stuff once(don't remember what or why) and it was a MESS[:@]. The only "how to's" I could find were for full scale boats. Besides the cloth weight I guess it's the same process. What goofs me up are the goop types; epoxy,poly,finishing,laminating...HUH?[] I've already run into incompatablity issues with automotive red spot putty(really smoothed her out nice) and sanding primer(really turned the putty to mush).Sanding back to the wood[:'(].
Old 04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
JJeter1954
My Feedback: (21)

I know I may be off subject a little bit here but I love the idea of building a paddle wheeler (rear or side) but the budget always comes up so I must go with an electric drive. Are there any good kits for these type of boats? Do include links as I am somewhat slow at searching for an affordable kit. Thanks for any help with this adventure...JJ
Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Bluebrew

JJ this is the boat I origionally wanted to get...I believe it comes with an ABS hull. The motor package is separate and is listed in the tech notes. Some mention the wood quality isn't too good in some Dumas kits, but the one I'm working on seems decent. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXPCA4&P=SM.
I got this one http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE357&P=SM It has a sheeted hull and lotsa railings and stairs[X(]! Here's a stack up so far so I can think ahead. As the thread title says" thinking of steam", I was until I learned this is a modern ship with diesel/electric propultion[]. So I quess I'm done posting in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25966.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	940828  
Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
JJeter1954
My Feedback: (21)

Thanks for your quick response Mr. Blue! How I would sincerely love to build a real steam powered side wheeler, but, funds limit me, as for most modelers. I havn't found any kits for the side wheelers at all. I've only seen one on E-Bay and that was waaaay out of my league! Thanks again for your time...JJ

p-s...any one else having any kits in mind please do speak up....Thanks!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:24 AM
Bluebrew

Found this: http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/i...wheel_info.htm Pricey and has plastic hull[:'(]!
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Trakka

ModelBoats magazine (UK) had an article on a steam turbine built by a modeller for a scale model of I think it's called "Turbinia" or somesuch.

Built without the use of complex tools. The only thing he had to farm out was the creation of the turbine steam jet to drive the blades.

All done in brass.

Worth a peek.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
logitrol

I too have one of the Midwest fan tail launches and steam engine, both unbuilt. After I bought them, several of the guys at the now closed hobby shop said that no matter what they did, the steam engine was not powerful enough to move the boat with any speed or control. The hobby shop owner said that none of them knew how to build a steam engine and that was the problem. I see that a person can now buy the steam engine completely assembled. I will be interested to read of your results, and in fact I think I will wait a little while longer before I build mine to see if you have any suggestions.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:28 AM
GSAV8R
My Feedback: (79)

Hello, gang! I am about to embark down the steam trail myself. I just bought a new in box twin cylinder Saito steam engine and boiler along with kit for a steam tug boat. I probably won't build the tug, but will buy a Krick kit for a steam launch. I have never built or even owned a r/c boat. I have been flying model planes for 50 plus years, so this boat business is all new to me. Anyone have any experience with the Saito steam engines?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:28 AM
Rob1962

Hello did you ever purchase that Krick kit?
Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
modeen 2

Hello, I am the daughter of Ron Needham, designer, manufacturer and proprieter of Modeeen Steam Models, my dad is now getting towards his 80's, but he would love to hear from anyone who has purchased any of his models, the Lady Anne, African Queen. Looking at your site you are pleased with your steam boat. Wendy.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:23 PM
modeen 2

Hello, your picture look like the African Queen from Modeen Steam Models, I am the daughter of Ron Needham, owner, designer and manufacturer of Modeen. Although my dad is now nearing his 80's, he would love to hear from anyone who has one of 'his' boats.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:16 AM
benny2.0

You may need to PM the member you are looking for.