Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Getting back into flying - what radio

Old 09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
dean320
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting back into flying - what radio

Hello,

I got out of RC flight about 4 years ago when my son was born, now he is seen an RC plane and liked it so it looks like I am going to get back into flying.

My question is what has changed in transmitters and any recommendations on what to get. I would like one that can handle a few different planes and have exponential and dual rates. Also, I like Futaba.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dean
Old 09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
JCINTEXAS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Getting back into flying - what radio

Dean,
I left the hobby in 1981 and came back about 2 years ago. Back in the day, I flew Kraft radios. Kraft is gone, along with many other radio manufacturers. So I decided to go with the radio brand that has "stood the test of time". My choice was Futaba. I now have two Futaba radios, the 7C and the 12FG. (2.4GHz FASST) Many hours of carefree flying time and not one single glitch or malfunction. The performance has been perfect. I don't see how "perfect" can be improved upon. I think all the modern radios are good. You wouldn't be wrong to go with JR, Hitec, or Airtronics. There is also somelthing to be said about choosing the radio that is most popular in your area.
Hope this has been helpful.
Regards
JC
I fly twice as FASST
Old 09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
crossman

Dean,

I would back up what JC is saying, The current radios are all pretty good stuff. And using what is common at your field does make it easier to get help if you need it. I would recomend the newer 2.4ghz radios over any of the older ones. I have the Futaba 7C as well and I am very happy with it. It has the features that you mentioned and a few others and will store 10 different models. For a little less, (I remember that money can be limited with a little one around) the 6 EX has many of the features of the 7C and will store 6 models.

I too came back after a long time off (my "little one" is in college now). Things have changed, but the people that want to help you out haven't.

Welcome back.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 AM
badguy

I would recommed u to buy a 2.4 ghz tx. if u are tight on the budget u can go with a futaba 7C, but if u want something better just get the futaba 10C.