Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

EDF on 72mhz

Old 09-14-2009, 07:41 PM
kenlowe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EDF on 72mhz

I have a Phase 3 EF-16 EDF jet that is driving me nuts.

I assembled it using the stock motor and ESC with a pair of Hitec HS65 servos on the elevons. TX is a Futaba 10C on 72Mhz with a Polk Seeker 6 RX. Everything works great on the bench, but fails range check with the motor running (OK with motor off), regardless of throttle setting. The RX antenna passes within a couple inches of the fan, so I pulled it loose and let it hang from the nose no joy. Disconnecting the servos (one at a time or both) gives the same result. I swapped-out the RX for known-good unit to no effect. Thinking the Chinese ESC might be the culprit, I swapped it for a Castle Phoenix 35 same result. The only device not eliminated from the system or swapped-out is the fan motor seems an unlikely cause. A quick test with borrowed equipment shows that the electronics range check fine on 2.4, but I've resisted converting so far due the the cost of the 2.4 module and equipping the fleet with new RX's.

There must be others out there with "old fashioned" equipment flying EDF. Anyone have suggestions of what I can do to make this work on 72?

Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM
r-c-guy
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EDF on 72mhz

I had similar issues. I did 2 things
One - Placement of rf chokes on the esc cabling
Two - route the antenna on the outside and up to the rudder

This solved my problems...

randy
Old 09-15-2009, 10:50 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

EDF is a very nosey environment for FM
And with the lack of space things are very close... When I started EDF I went all 2.4 Futaba Fasst
I've have not had a single radio problem in over three years of flying jets.... so do yourself a favor
And go 2.4

Ron
Old 09-16-2009, 01:51 AM
mark_d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fly only 72MHz with a 9CAP with no issue using good Rx's so far. The only thing you didn't swap was the TX If you have a dial a crash like I use recheck the frequ you are set to and try another frequ. The seeker is X'tal-less isn't it, if you are moving x'tal from rx to rx that could be the culprit.

The motor could be the culprit too if it has bearing that are going out metal to metal is the kiss of death to 72Mhz
Old 09-16-2009, 08:48 PM
kenlowe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, I do have another TX so I'll give that a try. You're right, the RX has no xtal, but it had not been a problem in the past. I've poured a few bucks into this already, I guess I'll price a motor and/or fan assy. at the LHS. In the mean time, I'll tinker with filters as I think I can pull that from the junk box.

Thanks, guys, for the advice.

Ken