Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Extreme Flight 88" Yak - Build and Fly

Old 08-31-2009, 01:41 AM
cjcyclesrc
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Extreme Flight 88

ORIGINAL: EAGLE PILOT

Mark Brill still operates[link]http://www.brillellicustoms.com[/link]. I could have mailed the engine to Mark, but if the ignition module is faulty, I would have to send it to Roy Sholl anyway. I really like the 366GT. It has a ton of power and it's finish quality is as nice as a DA. I will use it on another progect when I get it dialed in. I took this oportunity to get a great deal on a DL-55 and lighten my Yak![sm=devious.gif]
Any fuel/oil leaking on the case?

I had trouble with the Brillelli 60 on my 88" Yak early on. It wasn't consistent at all. I ended up finding the problem was an Air Leak between the Case halves. I talked to Scott about the issue. He told me that he used anaerobic gasket maker on some of them and It didn't hold up as well. I split the cases sealed it with Permatex Ultra Grey and it hasn't given any trouble since. My second Brillelli in my EF Extra has alway run great until recently. I have noticed the power has diminished slightly over the last couple months. Now it's not consistent and the tune seems to change mid flight. It just started leaking fuel the same place the other motor did. I'm going to pull it down, reseal the Case, and Port/Polish the jug like I did on the first one. Not saying this is your problem, but you might want to keep an eye out for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18464.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1266245  
Old 08-31-2009, 01:44 AM
cjcyclesrc

ORIGINAL: diamondave

well i mentioned this a while ago and finally it timed out, here is a vid of me and my buddy with his 88, this was sooo fun, its kinda long but there is some good stuff including a nice insync landing...we want to do some more crap like this but im running out of time, moving soon to archer's neck of the woods, what do you think jeff, you up for it?
ps mine is the black and yellow one[sm=wink_smile.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSgDS5eAdfQ
Dave,

[sm=thumbup.gif] You're going to fit in just fine here in Texas.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 AM
ArcherIIDriver

ORIGINAL: diamondave
we want to do some more crap like this but im running out of time, moving soon to archer's neck of the woods, what do you think jeff, you up for it?
I'm in!
Old 08-31-2009, 10:26 AM
EAGLE PILOT
My Feedback: (3)

[quote]ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

Mark Brill still operates[link]http://www.brillellicustoms.com[/link]. I could have mailed the engine to Mark, but if the ignition module is faulty, I would have to send it to Roy Sholl anyway. I really like the 366GT. It has a ton of power and it's finish quality is as nice as a DA. I will use it on another progect when I get it dialed in. I took this oportunity to get a great deal on a DL-55 and lighten my Yak![sm=devious.gif]

cjcyclesrc, That is the same question that Roy Sholl asked me. The engine is clean and the pulse tube between the carb and the case is good, no leaks. I seem to think the ignition system is the cuprit. After extensive carb tweeking and retiming the ignition, the engine starts on the 1st or 2nd flip and idles beautifully. But when the throttle is increased, the engine studders at all RPM's above idle. Different carb settings have no effect and changing ignition batteries have no effect on the studder either. All ignition wires and plugs are good. I'll send it to Roy and let him test the ignition and look for anything I may have missed on the engine.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:16 PM
diamondave
My Feedback: (29)

looking forward to meeting you guys, charles you will have to come over, or down, which ever it is once jeff shows me around, thatd be cool, the green grass might throw me off, used to seeing brown everywhere i fly
Old 08-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Richard D Bahmann aka/Wrongway
My Feedback: (42)

Today was a bitter sweet day.

Rockey put in for a transfer....got a pro bro buddy near Jacksonville will take good care of Rocky. First Giant Scale for him.

After 2 years and about 4 months Rocky lives on, a little older, wiser and heavier Rocky will put a smile on faces in another town.

Farewell Rocky, was a great....and I mean GREAT ride.

WW
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48058.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	1266593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uq50002.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1266594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11508.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	1266595  
Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 PM
diamondave

i miss mine from time to time too[&o]
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sniff sniff...that couldn't have been easy....
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
diamondave

no it wasnt, but i have to say i LOVE the 110, and i needed to sell something to offset the cost a bit, i wont go as far to say it was worth it cause the 88 was my fav up until the 110, ideally wanted both just couldnt swing it, at least not as soon as i wanted the 110
Old 09-02-2009, 09:12 AM
JoeAirPort

That's the only way I'd let my 88 go. I'd have to be for a 110.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
cjcyclesrc

WW,

Sorry about your loss. I know rocky must have felt like part of the Family. I'm glad he went to a good home.

Dave,

I hear you. I did the same. I was between jobs, moving, and building the 110" Yak. I opted to keep the 88" Extra, but I still miss the 88" Yak. I kept telling myself I'll get a new one. I bought the first one used and there was a couple things I would have done different if I had built it. Flying it last weekend just brought back how much I miss it. I wouldn't get rid of my 110" or Extra, but I would like to add another 88" Yak to the stable.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
diamondave

speaking of moving charles, just booked the uhaul for the 25th, so should be there that sunday or monday, feel free to come down and help unload
Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 AM
flygilmore

I don't guess anyone has a spare tailwheel and wire....mine vibrated off in the air yesterday. I still have the carbon fiber arm and the tiller/springs...I am in need of the wire/wheel. I guess I could call Extreme Flight and see if they have just those two things.

I need to post a pic of the cooling louvers I made for the oil cooler cutout-I used 1/32 ply and then painted them black...looks pretty good. Hopefully, they will be enough for good cooling.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:44 AM
jnj55024

[quote]ORIGINAL: EAGLE PILOT

ORIGINAL: cjcyclesrc

cjcyclesrc, That is the same question that Roy Sholl asked me. The engine is clean and the pulse tube between the carb and the case is good, no leaks. I seem to think the ignition system is the cuprit. After extensive carb tweeking and retiming the ignition, the engine starts on the 1st or 2nd flip and idles beautifully. But when the throttle is increased, the engine studders at all RPM's above idle. Different carb settings have no effect and changing ignition batteries have no effect on the studder either. All ignition wires and plugs are good. I'll send it to Roy and let him test the ignition and look for anything I may have missed on the engine.
I have been reading but not posting for a while now. I had this same problem of stuttering at anything over idle. It turned out to be a bad/broken wire right at the head of the hall sensor for the ignition timing. It worked most of the time at idle but when the vibration started to shake the engine a little it would break the wire connection and stutter. I have the DL-50 with R-Xcel ignition. I found it one night by turning the prop by hand past the sensor with an old spark plug stuck in the plug cap. It should fire every time. When I held the wire one direction it fired, when I moved it the other way it wouldn't fire. $5.00 part from Jodi at Valley View RC fixed it.

I haven't posted in a while because I crashed my EF 88 Yak this spring. I bought a BME Edge 540 already built from a club member to fly for this summer and plan on buying another EF 88 Yak this winter.

I am thinking of using the BME 58 engine on the new Yak. Any thoughts or criticisms are welcomed.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The BME 58 has been an excellent motor for me so far. At my elevation, I need the power on this plane!! Excellent combo.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
jnj55024

ORIGINAL: Steve

The BME 58 has been an excellent motor for me so far. At my elevation, I need the power on this plane!! Excellent combo.
The guy I bought the Edge from says he doesn't like the side port carburetors for some reason? He didn't says exactly why. I think it had something to do with less power than the straight through styles such as the DL-50 and DA-50's

My yak had the DL-50 with MTW header and KS 1060 aluminum tubed pipe and weighed in around 18lb 6oz and was a little slow to pull out of a hover. Having come from the H-9 extra 260 at 15lb 11oz it was a rocket from hover so I am just looking for a little extra power the next time around. I loved the plane as it was but just want a little improvement so it is that much better.

Where do you get good service for the BME motors?

I would also welcome suggestions on forums to subscribe to to learn more on the motor.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
JoeAirPort

My 17# 13oz EF Yak has a DL-50 on stock exhaust. 7400 RPM on a Xoar 22x8 makes this thing rocket out of hovers. Your pipe setup is slow to pull out of a hover? Something is wrong with your setup. The pipe should be better than my setup by a few hundred. I'm no pipe guru but the header could be the wrong length....and/or wrong prop.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
jnj55024

ORIGINAL: JoeAirPort

My 17# 13oz EF Yak has a DL-50 on stock exhaust. 7400 RPM on a Xoar 22x8 makes this thing rocket out of hovers. Your pipe setup is slow to pull out of a hover? Something is wrong with your setup. The pipe should be better than my setup by a few hundred. I'm no pipe guru but the header could be the wrong length....and/or wrong prop.
You might be right. I thought I had measured everything and adjusted the length properly but I was only seeing 7400 with a 22x8 Mezjlik as well and I had the extra weight of the pipe to haul around. I tweaked the pipe in the crash so something new is in order for the next plane. A friend just bought a new DL-50 and is turning 7900 with stock exhaust and a 22x8 Zinger (junk in my opinion but he likes them for the break in) I haven't put a tach on his new Xoar prop to see what RPM's he is getting now. We are flying together on Sat so I'll check then.

The same motor on stock exhaust on my 17lb 6oz Edge is a rocket at 7400 RPM with the Xoar 22x8 sword prop.

I heard the BME-58 is lighter than the DL-50 and has more power. Sounds good I think. I have to check out the facts before I get anything though. Just starting my discovery process, so much to learn, so little time!!

If the box was longer on our truck I would think about the 110" Yak.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
JoeAirPort

I've never done the pipe thing but have read where people got poor results with the wrong length header (and wrong prop). Just a guess but you should be getting around 7600 RPM on the 22x8 Mez. That prop spins higher numbers than my Xoar 22x8 beech (Mez has smaller blades).

That 110 Yak would be incredible. I have no way to do that kind of project right now. It's 50cc only for a while. But the EF 50cc planes are pretty big which is why I fly them.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:26 AM
eddiec28

Hi Guys
Long time reader,first time poster
I have almost finished my yak
Did anyone run into same problem
i have with the fairings mine are so
tight i have a gap between the fuselage
and fairings if so what would be the
best option i think i might have to
sand the fairing any help would be
Appreciated
Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 AM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

I put some white foam tape on top of mine to hide the gap worked great....hope that helps you .
Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 AM
eddiec28

Thats a good idea
I would have to get some black foam tape as i have the yellow/black
version.Is this a common problem

Eddie
Old 09-17-2009, 02:07 AM
flyingcrazy
My Feedback: (28)

Cool good luck with your yak you will love it im sure
Old 09-17-2009, 06:38 AM
xtraflyr
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: eddiec28

Hi Guys
Long time reader,first time poster
I have almost finished my yak
Did anyone run into same problem
i have with the fairings mine are so
tight i have a gap between the fuselage
and fairings if so what would be the
best option i think i might have to
sand the fairing any help would be
Appreciated
Hello,
My second set was very tight,so tight that I had like a 1" gap. I ended up sanding the inside of the fairing until they went on. So far they seem to be holding up fine..
Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tom, the new owner of BME provides great support for the new line of engines. As far as power, I could only get 25 lbs of thrust out of my DA 50 on a can-header system with a 22 X 8 prop at best. Other guys at the field could only get 23 lbs of thrust on theirs with the same system. Don't know why. The BME 58 is getting 28 lbs of thrust on a pitts muffler out of the box on a 23B prop. It should settle in around 29 lbs once the rings are seated. Would be even better on a pipe!! These thrust readings were taken at about 5600 feet above sea level.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.