Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

2.4 module questions

Old 09-17-2009, 01:05 PM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 module questions

I just picked up the 2.4 module and a couple 7 channel RXs at the LHS and read the instructions while eating my lunch. Those instructions left me with a couple questions. First off I'm planning to install this module in a 9C and hopefully have a chance at an Aurora before the weather shuts me down for the year. To the questions:

1. All the diagrams in the RX instructions depict installations with up to 6 servos plugged into the 7 channel RX. Is there a problem with running 7 servos and having one channel take a Y with the switch/battery and a servo?

2. I may have missed it but I didn't see any guidance about how the RX antenna should be installed in the plane. Being new to 2.4 I want to make sure I don't create any "original" problems with my install.

3. The module instructions discuss following range check instructions on page 12. THe module instructions like the RX instructions are a large multi-fold page with print on both sides. I assume the directions must come from a manual for an upcoming TX and can easily understand how this error could happen. Can you detail the recommended range check procedure in case it differs from what I am used to with 72mghz?

I'm fired up to give this equipment a try but I am going to start out flying this stuff in an electric foam Wildcat and then migrate it into lower risk glow airframes and eventually into some gas powered planes with higher torque servos but first I want to make sure I give this stuff a chance by not making mistakes on my part.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-17-2009, 03:41 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2.4 module questions

ORIGINAL: CSpierings I just picked up the 2.4 module and a couple 7 channel RXs at the LHS and read the instructions while eating my lunch. Those instructions left me with a couple questions. First off I'm planning to install this module in a 9C and hopefully have a chance at an Aurora before the weather shuts me down for the year. To the questions:
1. All the diagrams in the RX instructions depict installations with up to 6 servos plugged into the 7 channel RX. Is there a problem with running 7 servos and having one channel take a Y with the switch/battery and a servo?
2. I may have missed it but I didn't see any guidance about how the RX antenna should be installed in the plane. Being new to 2.4 I want to make sure I don't create any "original" problems with my install.
3. The module instructions discuss following range check instructions on page 12. THe module instructions like the RX instructions are a large multi-fold page with print on both sides. I assume the directions must come from a manual for an upcoming TX and can easily understand how this error could happen. Can you detail the recommended range check procedure in case it differs from what I am used to with 72mghz? <snip></snip>Chris
1. No problem should be experienced when using a quality Y lead of appropriate guage for servos being used. (If servo leads are twisted,the Y leads should also betwisted).
2. Range Check Function
"It is critical that before each flight session you perform a range check that confirms the signal between the receiver and transmitter is appropriate. Unlike the FM/PPM or PCM signal radios, 2.4GHz systems use a fixed shorter, stubby transmitter antenna so the traditional method of range checking your system by lowering the transmitter antenna will not work.
We instead use a power-down mode to reduce the transmitter signal strength. Once the power-down mode is activated it runs for about 90 seconds, shortening the effective range 100 feet (30 m). During this power-down mode that you should walk away from the secured aircraft carrying the transmitter to a distance of approx. 30 meters, testing the effective range.
How to use Power-Down
a. Press the button on the module for 3 seconds, then both the blue and red LEDs will turn on with single beep sound. Release the button. The 90-second countdown starts from the time the button released.
b. Walk away from the secured aircraft carrying the transmitter to a distance of approx. 100 feet (30 m), testing the effective range.
c. To exit the power-down mode before the 90 seconds, press the button again to escape.
Set-up and Use of the Hitec 2.4GHz System
- If FAIL-SAFE is deactivated, the FAIL-SAFE position settings are also deleted!
- The FAIL-SAFE settings should be checked every time before you run the engine/motor.
Warning If you are unable to accomplish a successful range check of 90 feet, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLY."
3. Limited experience using the Optima receiver in different models, butfollowed past guidelines as far as possible.
Guide to receivers - and solving apparent RX & "Interference" problems
RC Installations for best reception.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 09-18-2009, 07:50 AM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

Alan,

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping the Hitec folks will respond so that I can get official word on these questions. I went back and re-read the directions and notice there is a bit about range checking and powering down.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 09-18-2009, 11:13 AM
tohm

Alan is correct on all points. I'll just expound on the antenna placement. On larger or carbon planes, all you need to expose out of them is the boosted omni-directional antenna (the metal tip with the short wire exiting). With Balsa or foam planes, you can keep the antenna in the fuselage.

Tony Ohm
HItec/Multiplex USA
Old 10-07-2009, 08:43 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: tohm

Alan is correct on all points.

Tony Ohm
HItec/Multiplex USA
There are detail differences between the manual descriptions and what really happens. I have my module in an Eclipse 7 Tx. When the power down mode is entered the module starts beeping rapidly and both LEDs flash in time with the beeping. This continues until I push the button again to exit power down. I haven't needed 90 seconds to do a range check so I've not let it time out.

We've had a bit of info exchange on the antenna in another thread. It would appear to be a coaxial dipole, so the antenna is both the fat cylinder (balun) and the exposed stub. I'd suggest that you fly the Rx in a carbon fibre fuse with only the stub exposed and see what happens to the telemetry signal at, say, sailplane ranges in altitude.

CR