Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Counterfit Little Extra; UPDATE

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Counterfit Little Extra; UPDATE

Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 PM
Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Counterfit Little Extra; UPDATE

Well, I dont think the the HB .25 of old puts out anymore Power than the modern day Magnum XLS .15 I am not sure of the weight of the XLS, but I bet the HB is very close to it.
Now.. the K&B .21.....I KNOW will perform way beyond the XLS.. What a blast that would be. But it is heavier, It weighs the same as a Conquest .15
The wing area of the little extra is plenty for these hot applications...enough wing for the extra weight
Old 09-09-2009, 11:16 PM
sportrider_fz6

the advertised weight of the xls .15 is 6.8oz, I don't have a scale so I don't know if that is accurate. but it's pretty light
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 AM
ProBroJoe

ORIGINAL: sportrider_fz6

the advertised weight of the xls .15 is 6.8oz, I don't have a scale so I don't know if that is accurate. but it's pretty light

That seems to be about what I remember when I weighed mine... and Toad's right there's plenty of wing on these things. Mine's a floater with a Mag .15, 2 HS-81s, 3 HS-55s and a 750 mAh NiMh.... the AUW RTF is 30 ounces.

-Joe

Old 09-10-2009, 08:40 AM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George - you have to put me in your will and leave me that header/piper for the K&B 3.5!

I've been looking for a header/pipe for 3.5cc for quite a while and haven't been able to fine one that somebody didn't want an arm and a leg for. [X(][&o]

I say go for the 3.5 in you Lil Extra. And what's wong with taking 4 of the same plane out to the field to fly? We'll be waiting for the flight report.

Hogflyer
Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
ktaylor

Anyone have any idea what the plane he calls "46-55 Screamer Scale Racer Racing " is supposed to be a copy of? I am on my second Screamer. THe first flew fabulously as an electric conversion with 1000 watts. It crashed due to a bad receiver crystal. I caught an acution from the same guy two days later & got a replacement for $1 less than I paid for the first one.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:21 PM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: hogflyer

George - you have to put me in your will and leave me that header/piper for the K&B 3.5!

I've been looking for a header/pipe for 3.5cc for quite a while and haven't been able to fine one that somebody didn't want an arm and a leg for. [X(][&o]

I say go for the 3.5 in you Lil Extra. And what's wong with taking 4 of the same plane out to the field to fly? We'll be waiting for the flight report.

Hogflyer

Even though I already had a few of the K&Bs lying around, I had to buy the one in the pic, ............... just so I could get the pipe. Appears to be home-made, but a pretty sanitary job. ................. George K.
Old 09-17-2009, 04:21 PM
mtntopgeo

Well, looks like I spoke too soon about the covering/trim being better than the Lil' Extra. The stuff is just as bad, maybe worse. Just took longer to start peeling off. The trim is sliding off as though it was applied on a layer of castor.!!! The covering is better, but is starting to slightly lift at the edges. No more structure problems since I re-enforced the landing gear mount area. ..George K.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:22 PM
salat
My Feedback: (4)

Will it fly with Norvel 074?
Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 06:25 PM
BTerry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: mtntopgeo

. The trim is sliding off as though it was applied on a layer of castor.!!! The covering is better, but is starting to slightly lift at the edges.
A few years ago I started sealing down all the trim colors on all of my planes before flying them. This works on anything up to 100cc size (don't have any larger planes).

I take a Q-tip, dip it in polyurethane, and rub/paint a thin coating right on the edge of the trim, then let it dry. Do this before anything else, and the seam will remain perfect for a very long time (at least 5 years on one plane when I sold it).

Best thing is it is completely invisible from anywhere over 3 feet away in direct sunlight. Polyurethane dries by dumping water from the chemical structure so it is very lightweight.

Works for me anyhow, thought I would share.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Rube Goldberg

Good luck with that ebay dealer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=ebay+gem

Rube
Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM
mtntopgeo

ORIGINAL: salat

Will it fly with Norvel 074?
Thanks

Probably not very well. Some here have tried that (on the Herr Lil' Extra) with varied results. Ranged from "flew OK" to "couldn't get off the ground." The plane is quite large, & is gonna weigh 'bout 24 OZs with the Norvel. Also, even with more power (Enya 11 CX) the plane favors a 7" diameter prop. It's been my experience that if a plane is big enough, heavy enough, & dirty enough, to need a 7" (or larger) prop, then a old "plain Jane" .09 Enya, with a 7x4 or 7x5 MAS2 will totally out-perform the Norvel. Save that sweet (and getting rare) Norvel for something else. See the pic, Near copy of the Simple 400 fuselage, MSS wing, baloon tank, 3 servos, & with the .074 Norvel, gonna weigh 'bout 15 OZs. The Norvel runs a MAS 6x4 close to 20K. The profile version has been a real hoot. ................ George K.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66669.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	1278696  
Old 09-20-2009, 10:10 AM
mtntopgeo

ORIGINAL: Rube Goldberg

Good luck with that ebay dealer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=ebay+gem

Rube

Rube, You would post that "bout the time I'm thinking of getting another of the Counterfit Lil' Extras. Jeeeze, your example of that guy's product was pretty grim! Hope you get satisfaction out of that deal Please update us. ................... George K.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

the pipe setup you have on the k&b is a mac's products 3.5 wizard pipe setup for ducted fans, used on K&b 3.5 and os 21-25 dfvrf engines its a goodie
Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
aphexian

Heres the manual for this plane by the way fellas....

http://www.yiyinet.com/15-ExtraSportster.pdf

Looks like I'm gonna try picking one up somewhere and wringing her out alongside my genuine Lil' Extra. All I need is a new P/L set for my 15FP and I would be in business...
Old 04-27-2010, 06:32 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front of the wing has a piece of plywood that goes into a slot in a vertical orientation. It is the same as using a round dowel, just a piece of plywood instead.
I bought and put one of those together using one of my old FOX .15's.