Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Need advice from the electric experts

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Need advice from the electric experts

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:09 AM
bash-ace-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice from the electric experts

Hey all, I've decided to dive in to the world of electric heli's and think I may have bought without completeing my research. I am only a novice heli pilot (have 2 nitro heli's) but have flown planks for 23 years. I bought an Axe CP to pass the time while I am in Iraq and love it, haven't had any of the standard Axe problems yet, got about 30 flights on it. Anyways, here is a list of stuff I bought to build my next electric heli. What I need to know is what needs to be changed to make a better heli for general flying and basic aerobatics (baby steps towards 3D). Money is not a problem so don't be shy, I'll save what doesn't get use for future projects or spares. Endurance is more important at this time than power.

X-cell Furion 450
Scorpion Commander V2 60 Amp 4-cell ESC
Scorpion HK-2221-6 V2 Brushless Motor
Futaba S3156MG Cyclic Servo's
Futaba S9257 Tail Servo
Spartan DS760 Gyro
RotoTech 320mm CF Main Blades
11.1V 3s1P 25C 2200 mah Li-po

Been thinking about getting a Neu 1107H/1.5Y to replace the Scorpion.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:27 AM
noobflyer01

Default RE: Need advice from the electric experts

i'm no expert but been around this hobby for almost 2 yrs. 

1. scorpion sucks.    I had 2 scorpion #6 that had bearing failures.  and 1 scorpion commander 60a esc died.    the neu motor you suggested is better.    get a Jazz 40a esc if you have bucks to spend as these esc have amazing governer mode.   castle creations new ice controllers are sweet as well.  
2. the futaba servos 3156mg's are high in price but crappy in performance.   suggestion:  hs65mg's for cheap, JR 285mg's- performance,
 great all arounder  ino lab 202mg's.
3.Thunder power 325 carbon fiber mains.
4. your good to go with the gyro as it remains the market leader for the number one gyro.
5. change out the s9257 and get the JR 3500G or JR 8900G.

your bill of course for all this high end electronics is going to be STEEP!

Old 09-20-2009, 11:27 PM
bash-ace-RCU

Thanks Noobflyer,
everything I bought was "recommended", I researched everything and read the reviews (new about the bearing issue with Scorpion motors prior to buying). Looks like the Jazz ESC you recommended is the "bees knees", it's only $130 at Heliproz. In your opinion, what do you think would be the best motor for this ESC in the Furion?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 04:08 AM
noobflyer01

well.  the motor option is going to depend on you.  what kind of flying style you intend to do?  are you looking for high headspeed at the cost of flight time? 

1.  most 450 size motors nowadays are pretty good. 

the scorpion #6 is actually a very good and strong motor,  the only problem with them is the bearings.    most owners of  these motors are swapping the bearings out with boca ceramic bearings and are now very happy with them.   you could go that route if you want.

the Neu brushless motors are very good.  pricey, and does require a good lipo pack to deliver the power it commands.  30C rated or above is highly recommended with this motor.

I like the JustGoFly motors on the 450.  they run very efficient,  good power,  good flight times, good bearings.  I've had the same 500Th 3380kv motor for over 9 months and is still running strong.    If you want to go with 4-cell setup on the Furion than this motor is a pretty good choice as i have run it with 4S and 350 main blades with excellent results.

some good brands to also consider for motors
JustGoFly
Neu
Hacker
Common sense Rc

Old 09-21-2009, 05:05 AM
bash-ace-RCU

I'm a conservative flyer with heli's, I really hate to bang them up. Since I already have 4 3S packs just for the Furion, I would prefer to stay with that for now. I ordered the Neu 1107H/1.5Y as well as 3 JR 285MG's and 1 JR 3500G. I liked the reviews on the Jazz ESC and decided to order the 40-6-18 as well. And to top it off, I tossed in a couple sets of TP 325 CF main blades. I think I paid more for these parts than what I paid for my Raptor 50 Titan and engine (O.S. .50 Hyper). What do you know about the Hacker motors? In the plank world, Hacker was what you wanted in a plane if you went electric (at least it was when I was back stateside).
Old 09-21-2009, 08:55 AM
noobflyer01

hackers are great motors,  reliable and powerful.   these motors will put a hurting on low C rating lipos.   get a high C rating lipos with these.  ie... 25C at least and 30C and up for optimal performance.

hackers are not only good with planks but great with heli's as well.  they are pricey.