Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Quadra 35?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quadra 35?

A friend has what looks exactly like an old Quadra 35. Engine was pulled off a Canadian made ice auger. Problem is it runs clockwise. Is there a practical way to reverse the run direction without spending a fortune on parts? What needs to be done to make it run counterclockwise? Thanks for any advise.

Kevin
Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Quadra 35?

A piston ported 2 stroke can run either way, if the magneto is set for the right direction of rotation. You may need to get the coil and flywheel from a CCW rotating Quadra, and/or recut the keyway in the flywheel you have. Check the flywheel, it may already have another keyway cut in it for universal use. The coil may have to be exchanged for a CCW type engine. For glow operation, remove the coil, install a glow adapter and glowplug in the sparkplug hole, recalibrate the carb for glow fuel and go fly.

Or, use pusher props and run the engine clockwise as is; probably the simplest approach.

I have never done this to a Quadra, but it should work.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Tipover
My Feedback: (44)

Spaceworm, Thanks for the fast reply. Sounds reasonable. A pusher prop may fly a little strange, P factor would be reversed I suppose.

Thanks

Kevin
Old 09-24-2009, 04:31 PM
arobatx

Or take this opportunity to convert it to electronic ignition, it is easy to set the timing, and you'll end up significantly lighter
Old 09-24-2009, 08:31 PM
spaceworm

Hey, good thought, I wish I had thought of that. I am just installing a Zenoah G23 converted to electronic ignition with a Ridge Machine (D&B Engines) system into a Sig 1/4 scale J3. Chinese systems can be had for as little as $25.00 although $50.00 is more likely. Solves all the problems and reduces a lot of weight also, like you said. Does anyone make a prop driver with the magnet built in for the Quadra?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The two best sources are RC Ignitions and CH Ignition.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:23 AM
spaceworm

Here is another thought: Since the auger turned clockwise and was driven off of the other end from the flywhell/pullstarter, just fit a prop driver to the auger shaft end and turn the whole thing around. Talk about strange, but everything is then unmodified except how the engine sits. :-) Electronic ignition still is the best option, IMHO.