Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes
Reload this Page >

E Flite Eratix 3D 25e ARF Owners Club

Community
Search
Notices
Electric Aerobatic & Sport Planes Discuss rc electric aerobatics and rc sport flyers here.

E Flite Eratix 3D 25e ARF Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 08:43 AM
lejongleur
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E Flite Eratix 3D 25e ARF Owners Club

Maybe the 'new' Eratix will actually be 54" (instead of really 52".) Maybe it will have enough magnets in the canopy. Maybe the firewall will be a bit tougher. Maybe the LG mounting area will be a teensy bit stronger.

But we all know that it will actually be a batch of the same ones we currently fly, fix and love! (for $30 more.)
Old 09-04-2009, 07:52 AM
jmir
My Feedback: (1)

Eflite just announced price reductions on most of their airplanes. The Eratix went from $179 to $169, but other reductions were even better. Like the Mini Ultra Stick is back down to $109. The Beaver went from $229 to $189.
This is what happens when sales drop because customers reject new prices they start buying other products.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:04 AM
IdeaBeing

Just put mine together with parts from HobbyKing in Hong Kong.

-Turnigy SK 3548 1100kv rated at 770W

-Turnigy Plush 60A ESC

-Zippy 3S 4000mah lipos

-MKS 9660 Servos

-Spektrum AR7000 Rx with DX6i Tx

The plane flies like a dream and pulls 730W with a 14x7 APC prop. This puts the amps a bit above 60, but as long as I don't hold full throttle the whole time (thoroughly unnecessary) it comes down as cool as it went up.

I did have to add 84g (12 oz.) of lead to the firewall to get it to balance on the forward recommended CG. YIKES!!! The battery is full forward in the tray and I will successively remove the lead 7g at a time as my 3D skills improve. I'm considering bumping up the motor size to a Turnigy 4250 which weighs 230g as opposed to 170g for the 3548. If I upgrade the ESC to a Plush 80 (90g vs 60g for the 60A) I should be able to move the battery back in the tray and fly lead-free!!!

The MKS 9660 servos are an obscure brand I took a chance on, as I could barely find any info about them. They cost $50 each which is quite expensive by HK standards, so I crossed my sticks and hoped I'd get what I paid for. The servos are great!!! they're fast and responsive as well as stubbornly holding my inputs under pressure. They're a little noisy at rest, but I guess that's part of the thoroughbred digital MG experience.

All in all, a great intro to 3D flying and I love the tacky mid-90's raver color scheme for visibility.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:51 AM
speedy72vega

ORIGINAL: IdeaBeing

-Turnigy Plush 60A ESC

-Zippy 3S 4000mah lipos

-MKS 9660 Servos

The plane flies like a dream and pulls 730W with a 14x7 APC prop. This puts the amps a bit above 60, but as long as I don't hold full throttle the whole time (thoroughly unnecessary) it comes down as cool as it went up.

I did have to add 84g (12 oz.) of lead to the firewall to get it to balance on the forward recommended CG. YIKES!!! The battery is full forward in the tray and I will successively remove the lead 7g at a time as my 3D skills improve. I'm considering bumping up the motor size to a Turnigy 4250 which weighs 230g as opposed to 170g for the 3548. If I upgrade the ESC to a Plush 80 (90g vs 60g for the 60A) I should be able to move the battery back in the tray and fly lead-free!!!

The MKS 9660 servos are an obscure brand I took a chance on, as I could barely find any info about them. They cost $50 each which is quite expensive by HK standards, so I crossed my sticks and hoped I'd get what I paid for. The servos are great!!! they're fast and responsive as well as stubbornly holding my inputs under pressure. They're a little noisy at rest, but I guess that's part of the thoroughbred digital MG experience.

All in all, a great intro to 3D flying and I love the tacky mid-90's raver color scheme for visibility.
Idea, I'm running the 42-50 in mine, swinging either a 13x8 or 14x7E prop on 4s 3700ma LiPo battery. Talk about a screamer! I know this plane isn't built for speed, but my vertical is almost unlimited, and hover is at 1/2 throttle.
The nice thing about running 4S is the amperage draw is considerably lower. I'm running a Super Simple 50-60 ESC, and my amperage draw never goes above 38 amps static.
I have my timer set for a 10 minute flight, and the packs barely take 2400-2500ma to recharge. I also have 2 5000ma 2S packs that I run in series, I can nearly get a 20 min flight with them!!
I'm running the HS225MG servos that are suggested, I haven't had any issues with them at all. They were around $27.00 each if I remember right.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:52 PM
speedy72vega

Well, it happened again..........I put my Eratix in HARD today, nothing left of it. I was flying inverted, coming around for the upwind leg, and dumb thumbed it straight in.
I loved flying this plane, so I certainly hope they bring it back........My flying days will not be the same!!!! []
Old 09-12-2009, 06:08 PM
IdeaBeing

Awww, Speedy

I'm sorry to hear that. I almost did the same thing the other day. Flying inverted, coming around the corner, dumbthumb. I'm so lucky our club has a ravine past the field. My plane was out of sight below ground level by the time i forced my fingers to do the opposite of what they knew was the "right" way to fly. I swear there were grass marks on the canopy, it was that close!!!

I think the Eratix flies so well inverted, you forget that it's upside down and proceed, business as usual, to pull up elevator in the turns.

If the components are still ok, I'd replace the airframe and harvest spare bits from the carcass, this plane is that good!!!

Old 09-12-2009, 07:16 PM
jmir

I did the same thing, flying inverted and getting confused. I'm now waiting for the new Eratix to come out.

Just remember: While flying inverted, down is up, and up is very expensive!
Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 PM
speedy72vega

I still can't believe I did it.......I know exactly what mistakes I made too. I was banking into the wind, and it was gusty today. I didn't have enough airspeed, and the wind blew the inside wing over, and I couldn't completely roll over. The plane started dipping, and that's where the dumb thumbs came in......Yep, up instead of down elevator[:@].
I'm definitely going to miss that plane. On the Horizon Hobby website, they list it as due in late December, but for $20.00 more than previous. Not sure if i'm willing to fork out that much dough for one, the original price was kinda high as it is compared to some of the other ARF's out there.
I'm thinking of building something from scratch along the same design, maybe with a foam core reinforced wing with Balsa fuse and use the electronics from the Eratix. I'll figure something out. I'll post pics if I decide to do something like that.

Ideabeing, unfortunately there wasn't much left but splinters. I had an AR6200 RX in it, and even the remote RX had gone flying. I found it in the weeds, and the cord for it was 2 feet away. The wing joiner was bent, the fuse was just splinters in monokote..........was sad to see it like that.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Jim5528

Need help!!I have an E-Flite Eratix 3D 25e and I’m have a problem with aileron flutter, I’m using the recommended Hitec HS-225MG servos at 5 volt and the E-Flite 32 motor. Does any one have any idea’s ?
Thanks
Jim
Old 09-27-2009, 07:28 PM
wrpsr1911

I think this is a COMMON Problem; and it is warned aganist excessive speeds, which we ALL seem to like!! I have sealed the gaps, strenghtened the aileron trailing edge, and made sure of NO SLACK in control arms, TO NO AVAIL!!!! The only way I have found to NOT get any flutter, is to DECREASE my speed in downlines, etc. GOOD LUCK-If anyone has any better suggestions I am up to trying anything within reason. Happy Flying and Blue Skies To ALL !!!!!!~-WOODIE
Old 09-27-2009, 08:12 PM
jmir

I experienced some aileron flutter while flying full throttle. I noticed that the wing was not fitting tight enough against the fuselage. I cut out and glued thin pieces of balsa wood on the edge of the wing fitting against the fuselage. This created a tight fit when attaching the wings and I'm no longer experiencing aileron flutter, even when flying at higher speeds. Check your wings and see if you experience the same problem.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:06 PM
lejongleur

Yes - I sealed my ailerons with Blenderm, and tend to avoid diving or sustained full throttle horizontally. I like it slow - 13x4 prop and an 800 watt motor, all-I-can-get on control surface movements, and an increased heart rate whenever something goes slightly wrong near the ground. If I trash my Rat I will definitely buy another one if/when they do another production run. One of my big favorites.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 PM
bob m2

I have been flying my Eratix for several hundred flights. I have been using the same 5S1P A123 2.3AH pack, Power 32, Phoenix 80 ESC, 14x7 APC or Xoar props and no spinner or pants. I have all the Dick Hanson mods as shown in the following link. RTF weight is 3.75 pounds. Even flying it hard, I have not had any aileron flutter with Dick’s flat carbon aileron mod. With the 14x7APC it has a measured static load of 60 amps, 2.7 volts per cell at 809 watts. This combination provides 215 watts per pound performance, about 8 minute flight time followed by about 8-9 minutes charge.

Bob
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=264
Old 10-12-2009, 03:06 PM
jmir

Well, the unexpected happened.

I was showing off doing some HiRate rolls and spins and the right servo got stuck all of a sudden. The Diamante spunned all the way to the ground as I watched, not being able to do anything about it. Surprisingly, only the fuselage and cowl were damaged beyond repair. Also, I ended up with a bent shaft on my Eflite Power 32 motor.

I'm back on E-bay looking for good deals on a replacement.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 PM
lejongleur

Horrors! During a nose down power loop with ailerons full right and rudder full left one of the battery leads came off at the Dean's plug - can't imagine why it did it at that exact point in time. Presumably my incompetence, as I soldered it on myself soon after I got interested in the hobby. Reinforces my thoughts that most RC aircraft hang by a thread - any small failure can bring it down.

The Eratix (recently repaired after a battery ejected through the canopy in a similar maneuver) came down nose first, and the fuse snapped in half behind the wing, trashing most of the little stick-like skeleton that makes up the middle 1/3 of the plane. The fuse is significantly damaged and the firewall is smashed back, so I think I am in for a new fuse (or ARF if one appears on Ebay.)

This was the 96th flight of my Eratix, and I look forward to flying one (or it) again. In the meantime, what do you think of the Frenzy 100? It looks like an Eratix on steroids, even down to the garish color scheme and huge square wings. I may have to have one.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:05 AM
jmir

I've had my Eratix for over a year. Not long ago, I was doing some Hi-Rate fast rolls on a dive and the right aileron servo got stuck. Not knowing what was happening at the time, I tried everything I could think of in only a few seconds but could not recover and it came down fast and hard. Well, you can imagine what happened. There was just too much damage to recover. Even the shaft on my Eflite 32 got bent. The battery was smashed (4 cell - 3600mah). Only one servo survived along with the receiver.

Luckily, I found a slightly damaged Eratix on E-bay for $86 which arrived about two days before leaving on a 3-week vacation. I got back on Monday and plan to fix and assemble it this weekend. Looking forward to flying the Eratix again. It has been my favorite plane so far. Eflite

I understand Eflite has resumed the production of this plane or perhaps a new version which will be coming out soon.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:02 PM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega

-Turnigy Plush 60A ESC

-Zippy 3S 4000mah lipos

-MKS 9660 Servos

Idea, I'm running the 42-50 in mine, swinging either a 13x8 or 14x7E prop on 4s 3700ma LiPo battery. Talk about a screamer! I know this plane isn't built for speed, but my vertical is almost unlimited, and hover is at 1/2 throttle.
The nice thing about running 4S is the amperage draw is considerably lower. I'm running a Super Simple 50-60 ESC, and my amperage draw never goes above 38 amps static.
I have my timer set for a 10 minute flight, and the packs barely take 2400-2500ma to recharge. I also have 2 5000ma 2S packs that I run in series, I can nearly get a 20 min flight with them!!
I'm running the HS225MG servos that are suggested, I haven't had any issues with them at all. They were around $27.00 each if I remember right.
Hi

I've bought a 42-50 for mine.

I had a Power 32 in it before and seem to remember using the small stand-offs but this motor seems to be way too short. I thought that the motors were a similar size. Am I missing something here ?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71512.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1343683  
Old 12-28-2009, 02:18 PM
lejongleur

Mine had a Scorpion 3020-12 weighing 5.5 ounces, and a Chinese 80A ESC weighing 2.6 ounces. I used spacers to jack the engine as far forward as possible without fowling the cowl, and mounted the ESC under the motor box. With this arrangement, I would put the battery (typically a 4S 3000-3850 mah) as far forward as possible and the cg was fine in flight. Weight was just about 65 ounces and the motor gave me 780 watts with a 13x4 TGS or APC prop, i.e. 192 watts/pound. No complaints about the performance.

I also used 225MG servos and they are fine. If you hang around Ebay and leave a search out there, you can usually get them delivered for just over $20 once in a while.

If only a Dean's plug had not come off a battery lead in flight I would still be flying it <sob>. Eratix = very cool plane.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:58 PM
netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: lejongleur

Mine had a Scorpion 3020-12 weighing 5.5 ounces, and a Chinese 80A ESC weighing 2.6 ounces. I used spacers to jack the engine as far forward as possible without fowling the cowl, and mounted the ESC under the motor box. With this arrangement, I would put the battery (typically a 4S 3000-3850 mah) as far forward as possible and the cg was fine in flight. Weight was just about 65 ounces and the motor gave me 780 watts with a 13x4 TGS or APC prop, i.e. 192 watts/pound. No complaints about the performance.

I also used 225MG servos and they are fine. If you hang around Ebay and leave a search out there, you can usually get them delivered for just over $20 once in a while.

If only a Dean's plug had not come off a battery lead in flight I would still be flying it <sob>. Eratix = very cool plane.
Thanks. I have the 225MGs ready to go but I just don't recall having to push the Power 32 out far to get the prop on the end.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:46 PM
lejongleur

Sorry, but I meant that I positioned the motor as far forward as possible to help with the cg - it wasn't a matter of getting the prop to clear the cowl (no issue there), but to get the motor as far forward as possible without the rotating bell touching the cowl - to help move the CG forward.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 PM
speedy72vega

ORIGINAL: netdudeuk

ORIGINAL: speedy72vega

-Turnigy Plush 60A ESC

-Zippy 3S 4000mah lipos

-MKS 9660 Servos

Hi

I've bought a 42-50 for mine.

I had a Power 32 in it before and seem to remember using the small stand-offs but this motor seems to be way too short. I thought that the motors were a similar size. Am I missing something here ?

Thanks

Hmmmm............It's been awhile since I had my Eratix, bit I seem to remember having to make Balsa spacers, somewhere around 3/4' or so. I made them just long enough to where the prop adapter cleared the cowl with the prop installed.
The difference is that the E-flite motors all use Collet type prop adapters, and they stick out quite a bit farther than the bolt on type adapters the Turnigy motors come with.
The performance of the 42-50-650 is awesome on 4S though, you will be very happy with it. I spun either a 13X8E or 14X6E APC prop, and got 10 minutes of flight time on a 3700ma 4S pack with capacity to spare.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:02 PM
netdudeuk

I used two 1/4" ply spacers and two washers to get the spinner backplate where I need it to be.

How has anyone mounted their ESCs ? If I'm to install my 60A HiModel Opto ESC where E-Flite shows their own in the manual I'd have to add an extra 4 1/2" of wire on the battery side giving a total of 6 1/2". There's another 5" on the lipo pack as well.

I've read that extending the battery wires is not the best thing to do so hearing how others have installed their own would be interesting thanks.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
lejongleur

I mounted mine as far forward as possible under the nose - in fact I had to remove the covering there to get to it afterwards.

And, yes - I did need to use an extension on the battery side. I've had to with a few planes, and I think 6-8" or so does not seem to be a problem. I also experimented with using extensions on the motor side, and found that 4" or so had negligible effects on the motors power or anything else. Obviously fat wire is a good idea is you are running 70A or so.

Hope this helps...Chris
Old 01-18-2010, 07:20 PM
jmir

I placed my ESC under the battery compartment. Also had to remove the covering to place it there, but you can hardly notice it.
I did not have to ad any extensions to the battery wires since I fed the ESC battery wires to the battery compartment through the back (away from motor).
Plenty of room to slide the battery back and forth as needed.

I love the way this plane flies. It's the best one in my hangar (also have an Ultra Stick 25e, a Stryker 2B, a Mini Showtime and an Eflite Beaver 25e).

Old 01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
jmcmike
My Feedback: (45)

Well sign me up! After flying my brothers eratix the last two week ends, I had to have one. After calling every hobby shop in the country i found one and it will be here friday. There are three flying at our field and all using the same setup,power-32,e-flite-60 esc,hs225mg servos. My question is, has any body done a light weight setup? Power 25, light servos and battery. This thing has silly power on the 32 and 15min flight on 4s 4000 packs only puting back 2000-2200mah. Im going to buy my setup soon and was looking for some suggestions. thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.