Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Pylon Universe - RC Pylon Racing > Q-500 Racing
Reload this Page >

KCRC Fall 424 Race – October 10th & 11th

Community
Search
Notices
Q-500 Racing Discuss AMA 428, AMA 424, and any other variants of Quickie 500 racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:44 AM
aseaholm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KCRC Fall 424 Race – October 10th & 11th

The MOKAN Racing Series is getting fired up for the fall season.

Wichita, KS (424 Short Course, 428, 422) – September 19th & 20th
Olathe, KS (424 Short Course) – September 26th

And the season finale at KCRC:

Lee’s Summit, MO (424 Short Course) – October 10th & 11th

This is KCRC’s first 2-day race and will be scored, trophies will be awarded, for 2 individual one day races. Fast time will be cumulative for both Saturday and Sunday.

CAPS has offered their digital system to help improve our race ($5 from your first day of racing will be donated to CAPS to show our appreciation). This system has digital displays that show laps and cuts in plain sight for the callers. This should really be nice for the participants.

Jim Allen from Phoenix Arizona is coming up to get a taste of Mid-America racing. There are a number of WIPRO and CAPS racers coming out West also. Add this to our 20+ local racers and this is sure to be a well attended and hotly contested contest.

Come on out, enjoy the cool fall air and some of the hottest racing anywhere.

See the attached Flyer for complete details and directions to the field.

Pre-registration information on the Flyer.

AJ Seaholm
Starter/The “Missile’s” Caller
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50835.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1270393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15514.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1270394  
Old 09-07-2009, 11:23 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: KCRC Fall 424 Race – October 10th & 11th

AJ - I'm working on a couple of out of town buddies to come and race, too - I'll let you know.

I just might be in Venezuela for this one, though. I've been told to expect a trip, but AFTER my vacation - we get back from vacation on the 16th, so I should make Wichita, hope to still be in town for our race on the 26th, and I'm not real sure about October. Cross your fingers for me, and hope that I can go and be back by then!
Old 09-27-2009, 08:22 AM
aseaholm

Gordon,

Hope you can make it, though I'm thinking Eddie would prefer you go to Venezula.

All,

The KCRC Fall 2-day race is shaping up to be a real Barn Burner. 2 one day races, cumulative Fast Time. Competitors from the WIPRO and CAPS series, the talented MOKAN crew, Jimmy Allen from Phoenix, and many others. Great Futaba prizes and a Red Great Planes Viper up for grabs.

The fall in the Heartland is beautiful, CAPS wireless digital lap counting system, experienced work force, pretty girls everywhere... Am I over-selling this? [8D]

Please pre-register to make Saturday morning more efficient by sending the following information to [email protected] :

Name
State
Phone Number
Frequency
Teammate (Max 1 only)

To see who's registered - http://www.kcradiocontrol.com/fallrace2009.htm

Look forward to seeing everyone on the 10th. Though with a full contingent from the Show Me Racing Team, taking hardware home will be pretty challenging (impossible).

Old 09-27-2009, 10:36 PM
scausey
My Feedback: (2)

I think you stepped over the line when saying there would be pretty girls everywhere ..... I have been racing pylon for a couple of years now and YET to see ANY girls at a race.... Gabrial's wife does not count ..... Hope everyone attends your race AJ, you put on an excellent race and all your course workers are top notch.... Is your assistant starter going to be there, I dont think it would be a race without him being there.

Scott

Name:	Sq46012.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	1283887  
Old 09-28-2009, 09:25 AM
DaAV8R

Alex will be there, ready to go. Today he is in school today thinking about his new Futaba 2.4 that the UPS guy is supposed to bring today. It will be going into a Falcon he has built. I'm sure he is not concentrating on school What have we started? I'm trying to get him to wear his Air Force helmet, complete with oxygen mask and visor at the start line. It would show the flatlanders and out of towners that we take our racing seriously here. Sometimes we even suck on oxygen for a little extra edge.

We're looking forward to a great race.

Robert
Old 09-30-2009, 09:19 PM
aseaholm

ANNOUNCEMENT:

The KCRC 2-day 424 Race will feature a Cranfill Style BBQ Saturday night. The cost will be $20 for a Steak dinner, fixings, and frostie beverages. The BBQ will be tended to by the experienced cook, Dan “The Chop” Ulledahl. Dan can flat out cook, should be tastey.

This type of event has proven to be successful at other venues like the NATS and Phoenix. We hope the pilots will stick around and enjoy a fun evening of good food, company, and a little bench racing.

We’ll have more details to be announced during the Saturday morning Pilot’s meeting.

Shaping up to be a great contest…
Old 10-01-2009, 05:47 PM
s-10promod

AJ, Count Carla & I in for the dinner! If Chops cookin it's on![sm=tongue_smile.gif]
Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM
sahartman21

I plan to make the race and the dinner.

Scott Hartman
Old 10-05-2009, 09:51 PM
DMUCOP
My Feedback: (4)

Note to all if you need ANYTHING!!! 816-305-4717 Call me I will be off work from Tuesday thru Monday I can help build fix and go fast! I can help with directions places to stay and so on just let me know! I have room at my house too.

,causey you comin?

Dan "The Chop" Ulledahl
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 PM
DMUCOP
My Feedback: (4)

A.J.-Is Rick Smilely staying at my house?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM
aseaholm

Rick is staying with me.

Causey is coming Sat. morning with the CAPS stands and golf cart.

Jimmy Alllen will here in Friday evening. Parks mowed the field today.

We're meeting at the field on Thursday to set-up for a North wind.

Look forward to seeing everyone Saturday morning.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
AusPylon

ORIGINAL: scausey

I think you stepped over the line when saying there would be pretty girls everywhere ..... I have been racing pylon for a couple of years now and YET to see ANY girls at a race.... Gabrial's wife does not count ..... Hope everyone attends your race AJ, you put on an excellent race and all your course workers are top notch.... Is your assistant starter going to be there, I dont think it would be a race without him being there.
Hi Scott...

We are setting up for a once per month race schedule for Q500 over in Aussie Land and are having trouble getting info on building our own start clock...
The clock in your post there looks like a beauty!!
Any info on what was used to make the clock?

Or does anyone know of any plans with a parts list to make a Start Clock?

Sorry for being off topic but I saw this clock and just had to ask...

Steve...
Old 10-06-2009, 10:00 PM
fizzwater2

auspylon - the clock was a club project we did a while back. the plans and info were from an older issue of RCM, I'd have to dig up what one.

There is a magnetic switch inside the clock, and a small magnet glued to the back of the needle, that stops it at zero each time. It took a while to get the magnet set up, and everything positioned correctly. The gear motor came from an outfit called "stock drive products". Let me dig a little in my records at the office, see if I can come up with the article we based this on, the particular motor we used, etc.

The electronics were all built on an experimenter's "perf board" - just a few parts, a relay or two, etc. There is a voltage regulator so the clock speed stays constant as the battery runs down. Uses an 8 cell AA battery older on the back of the clock.

Clock face was done in AutoCAD, printed on an HP color plotter, and the paper was glued to a piece of 1/8" tempered masonite painted white so it didn't darken the face a whole lot (like it would have had we left it brown).

One of our club guys is a wood worker as a hobby, and made us the nice case based on the plans in the mag article.

All in all, it's been successful so far. As I said - let me look at work, gather up some of the details, and I'll try to remember to get back with you. If you don't hear from me, don't be afraid to send a PM to remind me!
fizz
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
s-10promod

Fizz, you home yet? I just got mine fixed from your sawblade[sm=lol.gif] Now I'm starting to get a complex with You, Duane, and Chop after me I don't stand a chance! lol
See you all this weekend
Old 10-07-2009, 01:05 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Steve, subject: Start Clock
Here in the States our liquor stores often have motorized displays to advertise and help sell products.
The drive device is a self contained motor and gear drive train. There are different gear ratios that result in a rotational speed of about 1 to 5 revolutions per minute. These units make an excellent clock motor for our start clocks, but need to be slowed down. I found a voltage regulator construction article in a "Project" book from Radio Shack. A simple variable "pot" will not do the job, because as the voltage from the battery supply drops the clock will slow down. The motors I used came from the Stock Drive Products/ Sterling Instruments Co. This company makes a wide range of motorized units, but the cheapest ones seem to work fine. There is a good chance you could find an old display that you could rob the motor out of. We find that the employees like to claim the displays when they go out of date. Also some distriburators pick up the displays when they are out of date. You might find other products such as potato chips or snack foods are
promoted with motorized displays too. Also it seems that around holidays such as Christmas, there are more motorized displays, so after the holidays might be a good time to go begging! These units are usually powered with 2 or 3 D size batteries. I used an RC car battery pack (6 cell, 7.2 volt). That is a little over kill, but you never had to worry about it slowing down. Also the voltage regulator needs more than 3 volts input to make it work. We wired a push button start switch that bypassed the stop switch. The stop switch is a micro switch that was triggered by a wheel collar with an extra long screw. The wheel colar was mounted to the out put shaft of the geared motor. The clock "hand" was made from a piece of wood dowell, but I suggest you counter ballance it, because the clock will slow down slightely going up hill, and speed up going down hill. Somewhere I have a file folder with all my clock information safely hidden, so if this dosen't get you started in the right direction, drop me an e-mail, and I'll see if I can't find it.
Stock Drive Products/ Sterling Instruments
http://www.sdp-si.com
2102 Jericho Turnpike
New Hyde Park, NY 11042
ph: 516-328-3300
fax: 516-326-8877 Greg Doe e-mail: [email protected]
Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 AM
AusPylon

Thankyou for your help Fizzwater & Greg... I'll follow up on what I can for now and hope that Fizz can find those plans etc...
I'll check out Stock Drive Products and see what I can find there...
I know the local Coca Cola Rep here in my town... I'll ask him if he has any motorized display stuff lying around too...

Steve...
Old 10-09-2009, 08:53 PM
fizzwater2

I'll see my friend this weekend that I got the plans from in the first place, he might be able to tell me what mag they were in. Hang in there..
Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Kevin Matney

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats is the score.Who did what info info Please
Old 10-11-2009, 08:26 PM
DHULEN
My Feedback: (11)

I want to thank everybody for showing up. it was definitely cold this weekend. about 35 degrees cooler than normal 29 entries and 6 different states it was definitely a good race. thanks to AJ for puttin on such a great race. chop put on a great dinner saturday night good food and cold beer. all in all it was a great time. thanks to all the kcrc members that helped

Duane
Old 10-11-2009, 08:29 PM
DHULEN
My Feedback: (11)

sorry i forgot to thank the caps org. for loaning up the lights system which worked awsome we need to get something like that.

Duane
Old 10-11-2009, 08:37 PM
aseaholm

The first 2-day KCRC 424 race is in the books. The weather was frigid but the competition was hotly contested. The out of towners showed the MOKAN crew a couple things but I think we showed them a thing or two as well.

Thank-you to everyone that traveled to our AMA 424 Q-500 Short Course Race. Thank-you to the KCRC workers that toughed out the cold temperatures both days. Thank-you to my main man/co-starter Alex Williams. Thank-you to the MOKAN racers that continue to be the life blood of this series. Thank-you to CD Craig White. Thank-you Duane Hulen for all the support, Steak Dinner facilities, and the workers. Thank-you Robert Williams for the race coordination support and Dan Ulledahl for the PHENOMINAL steak dinner Saturday night. Thank-you to everyone else I’m forgetting because my brain is still frozen.

Jim Allen made the trek from Phoenix. Duane Gall came over from Colorado. Scott Hartman made the 600+ drive from TX. Mick Warning, Jim Nikodem, Jay Cappis, and Darwin Larson came west from the WIPRO series. Rick Vogelsang came west to represent the CAPS series and delivered the awesome CAPS wireless system. The CAPS system really improved the quality of the race we were able to deliver to the competitors.

There were 29 registered pilots on Saturday and 21 returned to brave the 40 degree temps and stiff winds on Sunday. We flew 5 rounds each day.

Saturday came down to a fly-off for 1st place between WIPRO Top Dawgs Mick Warning and Jim Nikodem. Jim proved too much to handle and took the fly-off. MOKAN racer Dan Williams brought home 3rd place.

Sunday also was decided by a fly-off between Jim Allen and Duane Gall. Jim and Duane battled it out until Jim cut Pylon #3. Duane with caller Gordon McWilliams sealed the victory after numerous hard fought heats. MOKAN regular Darwin Ulledahl, Chop’s Father, took home 3rd place.

The Big Kahuna for the weekend was Jim Nikodem who secured the cumulative FAST TIME trophy with a blistering 1:22.10. Well done Jim.

I’m wind burnt, chilled to the bone, and ready to do it all over again. GREAT Q-500 RACING!

Attached are the full results for Sat and Sun. Photos to follow later this week.

AJ Seaholm
Starter/Michele’s Husband

Name:	Hf99092.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1292920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93431.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	1292921  
Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 AM
fizzwater2

AJ - thanks to you and all of the KCRC crew that make that race possible! As usual, it was a class act, lots of good racing, good friends, and the steak feed after the races on Saturday was superb!

It took me a while to type this, my fingers are still cold..

Thanks to the guys that came from so far out of town to fly with us, and for the awesome digital lap counter / cut display! Made a caller's job easier, knowing what was going on.

Looking forward to next season!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:47 AM
GSJames

This REALLY makes me wish that I still lived in Kansas City. ROCK CHALK, JAYHAWK!

JAYHAWKS RULE, Tigers Drool.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
fizzwater2

Gary - Scott Hartman drove up from Texas to race with us a couple of times this year. You'd be more than welcome to come and race, we're having a blast up here with this 424 stuff!
Q40 sport (Q40 planes with TTpro 40's) are starting to make appearances, we had three of them in the cars at this race, but it was too cold to do much fun flying / demo racing after a full day of 424.

Between KC, Hillsdale, and Wichita we've had 6 weekends of races, a couple of them both Saturday and Sunday. C'mon up and play!
Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 PM
blindfaithnogod

thanks KCRC for the great race! Thanks AJ, and a BIG thank you to Jim Allen. That really made my day!

I'm looking forward to doing it again next spring.

-Paul F.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.