Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - Electric
Reload this Page >

LiPo puffy

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - Electric For all your electric boating needs.

LiPo puffy

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:13 PM
deslok113

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LiPo puffy

Question: When LiPo pacs puff out do they feel squishy? I have an older set of LiPo pacs that I've been running in my BJ 26. They are not hard case. They have been submerged in water a few times but I've drained them good and they have so far performed flawlessly. After being wet and then charging them they have slightly puffed out. They seem squishy not hard puffed. So are they just water logged or are they puffed out from too many cycles? After reading several articles about lipos catching fire and exploding i'm kind of leary of cutting off the shrink wrap before I know for sure they are damaged or water logged. I hope someone responds fast as these cells are now fully charged and in my house.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:09 PM
djr01974

Default RE: LiPo puffy

Get rid of it asap.... put in in a fireproof box or something and dispose of it ... Its not suppose to puff up at all . It will catch fire if not explode on you . Do yourself a favor and junk it .
Old 09-27-2009, 10:16 PM
deslok113

I put them in my BBQ pit and moved it about 10yds away from my house. If they explode maybe a risk of shrapnel but how powerful can a lipo explosion be?
Old 09-27-2009, 10:24 PM
rebuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good move..................keepin' the family safe is job #1..............you can always get new lipos...................
Old 09-28-2009, 02:04 AM
wetsleeves

Your pack probably swelled due to shorting out when the pack got wet. I have heard of people taking the shrink wrap of the pack, checking each cell and replacing the fault cell.
I wouldnt replace cells if the pack are only 2-3 cells but then if you had a pack with 8-10 cells then I would think twice before throwing the pack away. I also know of people who have had Larger packs that a cell went bad so they split the pack into two packs. Id only do it if you new a fair bit about lipos.
Good luck
Old 09-28-2009, 02:07 AM
WakeBoardnBash

Dispose of them properly?

What does that mean?

Keep running those things man!
They are completely safe and not harmful at all once they EXPLODE!

Good lord, why cant anyone do research on stuff before they jump the gun.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:15 AM
dicko

To dispose of a lipo properly you need to drop it into a tub of salt water overnight. I cut the plugs off before I do this if they're still in good condition.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
deslok113

Well, after watching several videos on you tube of Lipo's catching fire and exploding I can say that their explosive power is maybe that of black powder a low explosive. It may not even be as powerful as black powder, but I wouldn't want one exploding in my hand! The main concern seems to be the very hot long burning fire that can happen with a faulty pack and it igniting other combustibles around it. Therefore I think the BBQ pit is a safe place for them for now; until I can dispose of them by imersion in salt water. Thanks for all the help! I greatly appreciate it.
Ed
aka Leader Deslok of Planet Gamalon
Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 PM
doby
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: WakeBoardnBash

Dispose of them properly?

What does that mean?

Keep running those things man!
They are completely safe and not harmful at all once they EXPLODE!

Good lord, why cant anyone do research on stuff before they jump the gun.

Do you have any knowledge at all about LiPos?? From your post, I would have to say none at all. This is the type of stupidity that can get people hurt.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:43 AM
deslok113

To wakebd and doby: these forums would be a whole lot better place w/o all the childish name calling. If you think someone has given bad advice just say that their advice is not recommended and why you think so. Backing up your statements with experience and/or established facts makes you seem more intelligent not making the other guy look less intelligent.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
animalnut

ORIGINAL: dicko

To dispose of a lipo properly you need to drop it into a tub of salt water overnight. I cut the plugs off before I do this if they're still in good condition.
just do this it is the proper way and for your sake and your boat the safest thing to do with them lose them there not worth the risk I have had 3 fire's they rage when they go no joke[X(]