Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Exceed 400 motor issue

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Exceed 400 motor issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 03:35 PM
wake133

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exceed 400 motor issue

I put a exceed brushless 400 (920kv) and 30 amp esc in my j3 cub. It is all mounted and wired, but when I turn the radio on with the throttle down and put the battery in the plane the motor makes a short musical type tone and then goes beep beep beep beep on and on the motor twitches as if it wants to turn but does not. I have tried different batteries all within the specs in the manuel. Am i missing something? What is going on here?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
opjose

Default RE: Exceed 400 motor issue

Take OFF the prop first!

You may have your throttle input reversed, so the ESC is seeing FULL throttle.

It is waiting for you to bring the throttle all the way down ( or in this case full up with full up trim because of the reversal! ).

Reverse the throttle on the TX and try again ( WITHOUT A PROP INSTALLED!!! ).

Do not put the prop on the plane until you resolve this.

A constant Beep-Beep-Beep also may be due to the ESC NOT seeing a signal from the receiver.

Do your other control surfaces move? If so check your wire from the ESC to the TX.

If that is correct and OK, see my first suggestion above.

On many of my ESC's, they will not "ARM" until I take the throttle all the way up, then down again.

This causes the ESC to ARM and the throttle then works. It's a safety feature.

Two or three beeps are normal, many ESC's will beep once, pause, then beep again, one for LiPo cell, to alert you to what the ESC "thinks" is installed.

Have a look at your ESC's programming manual for more info.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM
wake133

thanks for the PM it works not really sure what the programing did but hooking it up to the elevator channel let it program it works now and it is FAST!!!! The motor is the alpha exceed 400 920kv and exceed 30amp esc prop is 10 x 4.7. I better not use full throttle this thin will move. Its all in the exceed j3 cub. Any info on the program stuff would be helpful too thanks OP!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2009, 03:17 PM
opjose

No problem!

I'll try to dig up the ESC programming manual...

You may want to try a smaller prop to start with say a 9x4 or a 9x5.

This will produce less thrust, but keep about the same pitch speed.

That means the plane will unload in a dive to about the same speed you see now, but it may tend to fly at a slightly slower rate.

Real Cubs fly at a walking pace, so to be more scale like you should not have your plane too "hot".

Old 10-02-2009, 04:16 PM
wake133

thanks. I wanted to have lots of power the main reason i upgraded is because the power was so much on the weak side of things being stock. I don't want to have any stalling issues. thanks for the info its been a great help!!!
Old 10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
opjose

BTW: The manual for that ESC is available on the web site.

You can download it here: [link=http://site.exceedrc.com/resource/product/volcano_esc_manual.pdf]Volcano ESC Manual - Click me![/link]