Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

engine dies on landing

Old 10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine dies on landing

this engine dies when ya land from a jump on the hard side. its a new dynamite mach2 21. i replaced the clutch springs and have tuned it and retuned it .. the only way to keep it running is to set the idle really high .. the car wont move but it sounds to be screaming LOL ... never had a motor do this .. its only got a 3/4 gallon through it and has never been over 220f
Old 10-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: engine dies on landing

I wonder if your batteries are a bit loose. On impact, the power may die and the servo could move and bring the throttle back too far and cause the engine to die. If that is the case, you will have to fix the battery case and adjust your engine throttle stop screw so it controls the idle speed.

A bad glowplug can cause an engiine to die on impact, but it usually won't restart and a replacement plug is required.

I would guess that you are running a bit rich as well. Not sure if fuel loading up in the crankcase could cause it to stall on impact or not, but a little tuning wouldn't hurt.
Old 10-04-2009, 12:55 PM
vwdavid
My Feedback: (3)

Igot a dynamite mach.26 and my motor is doing the same thing. when u jump it dies and the idle has to be set high but not high anuff to move .i broke in the motor and i ran 6 tanks in it. 3 where idle 3 where putting aroundbefore i started tuneing it and now i got 1/2 gallon run in it and it is still acts like a butt.i've had a lot of engine brake in's with no probs but this thing is blowing my mind i'm going to check 4 air leaks to day in the motor and the tank. oh yea i seen after i jump that the fuel line would be out of fuel thats why i'm going to check 4 air leakes..so maybe some1 will tell us someting me and u r missing.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 PM
MCSRacing

i'm kinda leaning towards bad bearings ... i spent some time messing with it today and my son hit me head on with his drake and killed it LOL
Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 AM
vwdavid
My Feedback: (3)

well i guess ill check the bearings to day. thanks for your help
Old 10-06-2009, 09:47 PM
MCSRacing

i gotta buddy that worked for horizon a while back ... he is saying to send it in and they'll make it right. so i'll send it in i guess
Old 10-07-2009, 04:11 AM
tommygun32

I'd check the cb bearings first before going through that hassle.

I'm 2/3 gallon through a new engine when I noticed every time I'd hit the brakes, the mill would die. this tells me the clutch bell isn't spinning freely at idle, it's remaining constantly engaged, so when i hit the breaks, I'm actually stopping the crankshaft from rotating. Took the engine off and tried to spin the cb, it was locked in place. Took it apart and 1 of the bearings was completely DISINTIGRATED[X(]

gon'na have to check them now every half gallon.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:16 AM
hrdcoreglf

What kind of chassis braces? Are you getting excessive chassis flex. Check that your CB spins freely,not only bearings, but proper clearance of the shoes/pivot pins. I would pull the engine open it check it for visable problems. Reassemble using proper sealant. Install CB with good bearings and proper shimming, and try from there. Harder springs may give a quicker clutch return as RPM's slow.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:55 AM
larryf333

What kind of vehicle is it in? It sounds like something is hitting the flywheel and stopping the engine when it lands. Excessive chassis flex could easily cause this issue. Do you see any spots on the chassis where it looks like the flywheel may have been hitting? It the edge of the flywheel all chewed up?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:21 AM
MCSRacing

its in a hyper7 .. there is nothing binding and the bearings spin free, the flywheel is recessed up in the chassis a bit as it should be. the fly wheel thing got me goin for a minute till i remembered that the drake killed it. i really wouldn't think runnin fat on the lsn would cause it, it's already plenty snappy and don't load up, it can sit for half a tank and not load up. i'm just gonna try to get more time on it and see what happen's, set the idle up a bit mebe.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:22 PM
rider313

my guesse would be chasis flex, if you land hard the chasis plate will flex and pinch the CB. and when you hit the drake the chasis flexed and pinch the CB.  just my .02 cents
Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 PM
MCSRacing

hmmmm very weird, took it out and ran about a half a gallon though it and now the prob is gone, and i made no changes.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:29 PM
rider313

?????? wow guesse you cant complain there. lol
Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM
larryf333

Might've been a small pebble trapped in an inconspicuous location. Sometimes that happens. Glad it's doing right again!