Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Midwest Tri-Squire

Old 07-28-2009, 11:05 AM
kamakazi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Tri-Squire

I bought my 1st R/C plane , a Midwest Tri Squire from Duke Fox's hobby shop in Ft. Smith, Ar in 1970. I also bought an EK "little red brick" 3 channel radio and a plain bearing .15 Fox R/C engine. That little engine was a screamer with Duke's missle mist. After learning to fly with it, I bought another one for relaxed flying and built it for looks. I flew that one for years. Finally traded it off at a swap meet and have regretted it ever since. Wish Midwest had never quit building them, a great little plane and excellent trainer.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:49 PM
jaof

Hi

The Tri Squire was my second r/c plane way back when.

The Midwes Esquire was my first for r/c with a Vec0 19 c/l engine, Kraft Single channel, Bonner Escapement. I think that plane ende up in a tree somewhere hehe

Anyway the Trisquire had an OS 15 r/c engine and a Citizenship 3 channel Proportional and I had a great deal of fun with that plane as I was able to solo on that plane and all the good stuff that comes with being able to fly and rc plane. It was great to be able to taxi it, take off, fly it around and land and bring it home in one piece.

I still have plans for the Tri Squire and will scratch build one this coming winter and probably set it up using electric power.

I also have another Esquire ready to go.

Thw Midwest stuff was really good and also have had their Sky Squire and still have plans for it as well.

Sometimes the simple straight forward designs were and still are the most fun

Anyway take care and have fun-even after all these years it still is a great hobby (over 40 years-time sure goes by).

Frank
Old 10-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Greenaero17

TRI-SQUIRE and Super Tiger .23

Wow! Nostalgia reigns here!

Here is my Tri-Squire that I learned to fly R/C with in 1974. I have many nostalgic memories of it. It was powered with a Super Tiger .23 and a Simco super flow-Thru muffler. At least I think it was spelled simco or semco. Anyway, I acquired this airplane as a kit from Tom Stennis who was the Mayor of Ocean Springs, Mississippi at the time. He taught me to fly and I was on my own in three days (Thanks Tom). There were no buddy boxes in those days, just the "hand and yank" type of instruction. (you know: hand the radio to the kid and yank it away when he is in trouble) I don't know why anyone gets rid of their stable of aircraft, but we do and later regret it! I just purchased a Tri-Squire Kit on Ebay and surley paid way too much for it, but, Hey, I wanted it! and I got it. I hope he regrets selling it!

Well, I will reproduce the plans if anyone is interested I will make them available for $25 dollars, ROLLED IN A GOOD MAILING TUBE FROM STAPLES or HOME OFFICE SUPPLY, plus shipping and (whatever your shipping cost in your area is) (I would have gladly paid this price if someone had made the plans available.)

I went on from that airplane to the Alley Kat by Southern R/C (another article on RC Universe) powered by a K&B .40 and both planes sported the Kraft Super Sport Radio (Grey Box).

If anyone has the simco mufflers that will fit a .23 - .25 size engine, contact me.

Many happy flights and remember: "Keep your thumbs on the sticks and your head out of the clouds!"

[email protected]
http://www.Burnsmodelaircraft.com
AMA 62678
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55043.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	1294975  
Old 10-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Trisquire

Nice plane Larry. Did you add some extra area to the rudder?

Tom
Old 10-15-2009, 03:42 AM
Greenaero17

Thanks for asking. It has jarred my memory and I now remember changing the tail-feathers to make the airplane more responsive as suggested by my trainer back then. Once I enlarged the rudder, it flew a lot more responsive and stable. It definitely changed the tail moment. If you had not noticed, I may have never remembered making the change. [8D]

-Larry

Old 10-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Greenaero17

Thanks for asking. It has jarred my memory and I now remember changing the tail-feathers to make the airplane more responsive as suggested by my trainer back then. Once I enlarged the rudder, it flew a lot more responsive and stable. It definitely changed the tail moment. If you had not noticed, I may have never remembered making the change. [8D]

-Larry

The Tri Squire was popular in Class I. The rudder only guys installed a larger rudder, removed one rib from each wing panel and installed a hot .35.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:22 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Michaelj2k
The Tri Squire was popular in Class I. The rudder only guys installed a larger rudder, removed one rib from each wing panel and installed a hot .35.
Wow, a 35. I have one for class II with a .15 and it is rather hot, I can't imagine RO with a 35 and a shorter wing.

Name:	Rp44800.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	1295313   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27501.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	1295314   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tz66969.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	1295315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47772.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	1295316  
Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Pro from Dover

ACS,

What combination of electric motor, ESC, and batteries are you using? I've decided to go with a non slimer for my Tsquire.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Greenaero17

Hey Dan,

I really like your color scheme on your Tri-Squire, I just might steal it! (the color scheme that is)

-Larry
http://www.burnsmodelaircraft.com
AMA 62678
Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: Greenaero17

Hey Dan,

I really like your color scheme on your Tri-Squire, I just might steal it! (the color scheme that is)

-Larry
http://www.burnsmodelaircraft.com
AMA 62678
No problem, use it as you like. I am not sure I was the first to do so. I am not good at artistic design, so I have used that scheme for years. Also it is quick to put on. Usually when I get to the trim stage, I am ready to fly it and do not want to spend a lot of time dolling it up.

Most all of the planes I build are yellow. I was asked why I favored yellow. I say "First, I like the color and second the wife doesn't know I have another plane." All yellow planes look a like to the disinterested.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Greenaero17

Hello Dan,

When I was stationed in Berlin Germany 1977-1981 while active duty with the Air Force, We had an R/C Club at Tempelhof Central Airport called the "The Flying Bears." Some German citizens were allowed to be sponsored on Tempelhof Central Airport. I had a German friend named Rolf Stein. All of his planes were yellow and black. One day I asked him why he always chose yellow and black and no other colors and his response was that he was color blind and the contrast of the two colors made it easier to see against the often grey skies of Berlin.

Well, I wasn't sure if he was telling me the truth or just had a good deal on black and yellow shrink covering. Well I found out when Rolf and I took a trip to Western Germany to fly R/C gliders on Mount Wasserkuppe (this is the place where a man actually was flying around before the Wright Brothers. Engineer Otto Lilienthal, the father of aviation and of hang gliding. Germany, 1895).

It was night, Rolf was driving and we were passing through a small town when all of sudden Rolf said, "Larry, quick, what color is the stop light ahead?" During the day he could tell which light was on because he could tell what position the light was lit up in relation to the other two (top, center or bottom), but at night he couldn't see the other two unlit lights. I no longer had my doubts after that! I managed to acquire several of Rolf Stein's planes and all of them were black and yellow.

Also, by this time I no longer had my Tri-Squire (I sold it and never crashed it) but I got another plane very similar called the "Minnie Mambo". That would call for another story later.

-Larry
Burnsmodelaircraft.com
AMA 62678

remember: "Keep your thumbs on the sticks and your head out of the clouds!"
Old 10-15-2009, 03:32 PM
Greenaero17

There were four versions of the Mambo and "Minnie Mambo" was the third one.

-Larry
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Still here and after more than 2 years I am finally getting back to the Tri Squire. [sm=what_smile.gif] Lot's of life has happened and until a few months ago I was mostly away from the hobby. I have done a little more on the TS recently and tonight I stripped it all down to get ready for covering. Hope everyone is still around... I'd love to see some shots of your finished builds.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:32 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Nostalgia just struck. The Tri-Squire was the last plane I built before going into the AF. Powered by a Fox .19 RC. Actually, that engine may not have been recognizeable as an RC, since it had a rotary valve in the exhaust stack. Did work pretty well, as long as the motor control escapement didn't hang up. I used a cascaded compound Bonner Varicomp pair. Actually got 2 flights, till I got hit by something that was too common for me. Forgot to wind the rudder rubber. I think I still have the planes.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 AM
buzzard bait

Anyone have a scan of the TS plans they could post?

Jim
Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
iflyj3

No plans are here but some pictures http://photobucket.com/VRCS
If you don't have success find a plan visit http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/vrcs
This is the Vintage R/C site
Old 08-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Greenaero17

If you are interested, I have one orginal kit and one refurbished kit of the Tri-Squire for sale. The original kitincludes the original plans. The refurbished kit includes original balsa and replaced balsa and new plans in an original box. Either kit is $130.00 plus shipping. These kits are selling on Ebay between $130.00 and $140.00. I also have the new reconditioned plans for sale for $25.00 plus shipping and these are rolled in around mailing tube. Unless you request otherwise, I do not fold plans. It is cheaper to mail folded but they begin to wear at the folds.

Many happy flights and remember: "Keep your thumbs on the sticks and your head out of the clouds!"

Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Here is the Lil Tri Squire and the Minnie Mambo mentiond earlier:
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/Minni...o-GeneRock.pdf
http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/Lil%20Tri%20Squire.pdf

Gene Rock did the cad on the Mambo, I did the Lil Tri Squire

Dave
Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Acs_guitars

Awesome! Thanks for posting!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:56 PM
buzzard bait

Thanks very much Dave, I can just enlarge the Li'l TS to 52 inch span and adjust the structure.

Jim
Old 08-17-2010, 09:24 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Lawdy, this topic just reminded me I have a partially built Li'l Tri Squire setting in the garage. Somebody gave it to me years ago. It has a small bit of hangar rash on the back of the fuse. Have to put it on my to-do list.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Michaelj2k

Here's mine, it was a freebie from an estate. Got it with the OS .20 installed and Kraft KPS 14 servos installed. It now has a Kraft three channel Sport Series radio with Futaba four channel receiver and Hitec servos. I triedk a first flight the other night but the wheels were a bit too small for the grass. I replaced the wheels and will try again soon.

Name:	Vt56095.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1486311   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19370.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	1486312  
Old 08-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Acs_guitars

Nice looking slimer!

Great news! (for me)
This evening I FINALLY started the covering process!

I am still covering in Thermal Span and did the first 2 coats of Nitrate on the airframe this evening. Just a light sanding and I can get some skin on her this weekend. Hopefully I'll remember to get some pics along the way.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:03 PM
jfuller
My Feedback: (8)

Hi,

The old man checks in. The Tri-squire was my third airplane and was built in (I think ) 1961 or 1962. Whatever year it first came out. It was also my first plane with a reed radio. It had a non throttled .15 engine. The thing that I remember most is that I could pull up elevator
into a half loop, and then by holding full down I could fly around inverted. I also remember that one of Walt Schroeder's sons won first place in rudder only with a Tri-squire in the early 60's. (Schroeder was the editor of M.A.N. at the time.)

Jamesf
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 PM
Acs_guitars

I sanded the TS and took a few pics before calling it a night... next step is Thermal Span! Here is a pic of everything as of now. I went ahead and took a few close-in shots of the new battery hatch and cowl. I am excited to be back on this after more than 2 years, can't wait to get her in the air.

Name:	Sp45530.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1486855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg15026.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	1486856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89645.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1486857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq43004.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1486858  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.