Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

hop-ups

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 AM
mystery7k7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hop-ups

anyone know of any sites I can get some good hop ups for my volcano? (Stx)
Old 10-12-2009, 09:18 AM
RCToysNh

Default RE: hop-ups

ORIGINAL: mystery7k7

anyone know of any sites I can get some good hop ups for my volcano? (Stx)
STX, older model , but some upgrades are still available.
What are you looking to upgrade ?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 AM
mystery7k7

Big air filter, better shocks other than the ones on redcat website, simply more power The only thing I have at the moment is a different manifold and some lights to wake the neighbors up @ 2 in the morning. lol
Old 10-12-2009, 09:30 AM
RCToysNh

Big air filter, better shocks other than the ones on redcat website, simply more power The only thing I have at the moment is a different manifold and some lights to wake the neighbors up @ 2 in the morning. lol
This kit will work

http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=2653

or
Air filter
http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/adva...?keywords=4104
Shocks
http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/prod...oducts_id=2518

More power= bigger motor
Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
mystery7k7

Thanks for the help. So how big of a motor can I put in my volcano? fill free to AIM Im me @ mystery7k
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM
RCToysNh

Thanks for the help. So how big of a motor can I put in my volcano? fill free to AIM Im me @ mystery7k
As the saying goes you can put anything in anything if you have a welder and a big enough hammer.....
The STX is geared for low end, and is not a track burner. You could swap in a 21 but by the time you get done changing everthing to fit you would be better off buying a new truck or buggy. If you are looking for all out top end change the wheels and tires on it to change gear ratios.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:22 PM
chevyderek72

I would stay away from aluminum, the filters he posted are good. For shocks i got the one from the landslide 1/8 ultralite on my electric, had em on my nitro and i love them. Worlds better than stock. And im actually gonna put the front 1/8 pro series ones on my nitro volcano. And the redcat tuned pipe is good, thats what i got. And if you want more power get the sh .18, its only 45 bucks with redcats engine replacement program.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

I would stay away from aluminum, the filters he posted are good. For shocks i got the one from the landslide 1/8 ultralite on my electric, had em on my nitro and i love them. Worlds better than stock. And im actually gonna put the front 1/8 pro series ones on my nitro volcano. And the redcat tuned pipe is good, thats what i got. And if you want more power get the sh .18, its only 45 bucks with redcats engine replacement program.
The STX is an older model that was sold when they were still part of the ATV Redcat. Do not believe it qualifies, but that would be up to RedCat.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:20 PM
chevyderek72

Huh, i wasnt around then i didnt know that. Ive always wondered though whats up with the atv's? Did they used to make them and stop? Or branch out, or sell that part of the company?
Old 10-13-2009, 02:27 PM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: chevyderek72

Huh, i wasnt around then i didnt know that. Ive always wondered though whats up with the atv's? Did they used to make them and stop? Or branch out, or sell that part of the company?
RedCat was atvs and they brought in the rc's. The RC part was bought and separated several years ago.
The atv branch is redcatmotors now, I think.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:16 PM
jwilson2536

Has any one put a sway bar on their volcano? If so what kit and how? Also are there any major differences in parts between the stx and the new sv 30?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:01 PM
chevyderek72

Ya the sv is a pb suspension, i think the stx is a c hub, i get it mixed up, but the suspension is different, and the top plate is different. Some parts fit but not all.

And im wondering on the sway bar too, cause i think someone said they have them, but i looked a few days ago on redcats site and couldnt find them
Old 10-15-2009, 08:32 PM
jwilson2536

So the upgrade aluminum upper plate wont fit an older model. I noticed it looked different but i was wondering if it would work. Also recently my e-starter backing plate fell off and I lost the one way hex nut. I ordered what I thought was the right one but it is the bearing part R025 and it is too small. It is 12mm outer diameter and the starter gear is 14mm inner diameter. Is it supposed to have a sleeve or is it the wrong nut? Do you know?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM
chevyderek72

For the backplate on the motor, it should just be the owb and nothing around it. Maybe it was to a different motor. Im not sure. I wouldnt get aluminum if i were you, and a lot of people agree. Aluminum costs more, and once you bend it, it either breaks bending back, or it loses a lot of strength. And to get a new aluminum part your paying a lot of money again. Versus buying a few plastic ones fer the price of one aluminum. Usually aluminum is for looks, like the top plate, i would rather upgrade it to make it faster than have it look cool.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:35 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Derek....some of the so call alium hop-ups are actually hop-downs to me....for instance...I had the aluim arms on one of my older 1/8th buggies...I was always breaking arms either the arm or plastic pieces away from the arms...plastic arms seem to absorb shock were aluim sends it down the line to other parts....one of the huge troubles I had with the alium arms was the adjustment screw between the 2 pieces on the front upper arm..I was breaking alot of them...but once I put plastic arms on the buggy I started breaking alot less...actually I only broke one plastic arm (it broke up were the arm attaches to the bulk head) and was way harder on the rc after I put the plastic arms on....
Old 10-17-2009, 10:02 AM
jwilson2536

Guys thanks alot for the advice. It is something to think about. I currently have aluminum front suspension with the old c hub style. I wanted to upgrade to ball joint suspension with the hop up kit available, but after what you were saying I think it would be smarter to just go back to plastic. Buy some extras and keep them in stock for when I break something. Also I figured something out with the owb. I shimmed up mine for a tight fit. We will see how long that lasts. I also found another part that has a plastic shim around it.