AquaCraft Alligator RTR

Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

AquaCraft Alligator RTR

Old 08-29-2009, 11:17 AM
donahue_85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AquaCraft Alligator RTR

I heard that there is no type of warranty on these boats. Just what I heard though. They will probably tell you that if it wasn't a defect right out of the box, then it's not their problem. Not trying to be offensive here, but that's probably what they will say. I guess it is worth a shot though. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:19 AM
donahue_85

As for the video, I guess you noticed some points that I wasn't even paying attention to! Still, it seemed likea good idea.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: WCB

Yall are right. I've been messing with glo engines long enough to know to check ALL the bolts. My mistake. It's still worth filing a warranty claim. What have I got to lose?
Don't hold your breath. What you have is a preventative maintenance issue. You are just wasting your time. Like mentioned before, it's your responsibility to see that your boat is in safe operating condition before you set it in the water.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 PM
WCB

Maybe I've just been extremely lucky because I've been messing with glo engines since the early 70's and I have NEVER had a carb come off while the engine was running. If the carb is that loose it will tell on itself. If you do manage to get the engine started it won't run worth a flip. This engine was running good. Maybe the o ring on this engine sealed tight enough that it being loose enough to come off didn't affect the performance of the engine. If that's the case it would be the first one I have ever seen or heard of.
That's why I didn't think about checking it.
I know to check the obvious like a prop nut but I don't go over every single nut and bolt and screw everytime I run it. If I had an engine that I had to do that with I would probably get rid of it.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

carb is not something that normally that needs to be check, you are correct, if the carb is loose, it would run like crap. In most cases this something that will happen all at once. Really the only screws that I check are the mounting screws, I myself do not go over ever screw on the boat, but do recommend doing so.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:05 PM
WCB

I don't check to see if the lug nuts are tight on each wheel before I drive my truck but if the wheel comes off then technically that would be my fault.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:27 AM
donahue_85

I do the same. I check everything once over when I am finished everytime. Reason being, if your prop is slightly unbalanced it will make everything vibrate like heck & WILL make a screw or 2 fall out, if not get really loose. It does sound like a lot of work, but it is just preventitive maintenace. As I said, I do it each time & it is a good thing to get into the habbit of!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:29 PM
crispyspa

ORIGINAL: WCB

I don't check to see if the lug nuts are tight on each wheel before I drive my truck but if the wheel comes off then technically that would be my fault.
Not necessarily.....If it happens on a truck that is only a month or two old, the manufacturer is responsible. Why should you have to check something that is not part of regular everyday maintenance. This would hold true too if a tire came off after a shop just got done rotating your tires.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:52 PM
DJLaPalme

I agree with WCB and Mr. Cajun Gator. I will check all the main components that you might expect to loosen up under normal operating conditions, but I very seldom check to see if the carb is tight because if it is loose the engine will not run worth a crap. I can not remember a carb coming off an engine of mine, but I can remember one getting loose and I knew about it immediately by how it was running. Be realistic. Who checks every bolt, screw, or nut before operating their model every time? Dennis
Old 08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
WCB

Tower Hobbies C/S agreed that the carb should not have come off a brand new engine. They shipped me a new carb and prop today.

Bill
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way to go.....good deal
Old 09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
donahue_85

Has anyone upgraded to a bigger engine on their boat or even thought about it? I was thinking of doing something, but I'm unsure of the consequences.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:36 AM
DJLaPalme

If you choose to increase engine size you should also consider widening the hull. I would think about 1.5 to 2 inches EACH side should work. I have been in the process of widening mine for ever it seems like. I want to widen mine so it will not flip so easily. Dennis
Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
500 lb. koolaid man

Brushless alligator. Not mine. Just figured some of you guys might find this video as cool as I did.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-hABTncdjU[/youtube]
Old 10-03-2009, 04:15 AM
nitrovice

hey this video is real great!

wonder if the batteries are just laid on each side of the hull?
I guess we will never know...

let's see if Aquacraft offers an electric version of the Alligator Tours in the near future...I guess I'd be one of the first to buy it... [8D]
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 AM
2manytoyz

Good info guys. I've been out of the RC hobby for a while, and looking for a RTR airboat. Looks like I'll be ordering one of these when I return from a camping trip next week.

Got a half built Swamp Buggy, and a Windy still NIB. Work on those when the weather cools off a bit. Too hot in my garage right now!

DJLaPalme: Dennis, been trying to contact you. Think you're the same Dennis L. I knew back in 1995. Worked in the O&C back then, and flew airplanes at the SpaceCoast R/C Club. I'm in Cocoa these days. Looking for a good place to run airboats. Give me a shout, Robert: [email protected]
Old 10-16-2009, 01:54 PM
2manytoyz

Picked up an Alligator Tours Airboat yesterday from my local hobby shop. Impressed with how complete the kit was right out of the box. I did note that the receiver power switch was reversed. I was always taught to position the switch so "back" was on. If something bumps the switch, the receiver will turn off with the way the switch is positioned now. Easy fix.

I fueled it up, fired up with the first hit of the starter. Ran it for a few minutes in the yard just to verify all is working. It'll get some time at a local pond tomorrow. The factory settings seem right on. Fuel did leak some around the self closing fuel cap, which might explain how fuel ends up on the head of some motors.

I'll bring some 4-40 washers tomorrow in case the thrust angle makes it too tippy.

Got to finish putting the control panel in a used field box I bought this morning. Also need to charge up the batts for an electric recovery boat that hasn't seen water in at least a decade. Need to charge up the batts for the digital camera also so I'll have something to post later this weekend.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 PM
deslok113

Cool I just went out on my big boat today and of course my r/c went with me. It was a bad day for r/c'ing. It was very windy and the bayou was choppy. I found the calmest part I could and ran some of my FE's then I put the gator in the water. All was well, she screamed down the bayou. Then the wind and choppy water picked up some more. Since the addition of the 4-40 washers this was the first time I've unintentionally flipped the Gator. I drained it out and let it sit for a little while and ran my Dumas Windy, then some more FE's. I the fired the Gator up again and put her in the water, she flipped almost instantly. Then again,1 of the FE's flipped and so did the Windy. It was a terrible day to be r/c'ing; disgusted I went in. Oh yeah, and then to top it off my outboard wouldn't start at the launch to put the boat on the trailer. I got all wet puting the boat on the trailer w/o driving it up! I should've just stayed home![&o]
Old 10-16-2009, 08:42 PM
2manytoyz

At least your day was memorable!

Got all the gear loaded in the back of the Jeep, going out in the morning.

I had a Windy back in 1985. Put a .20 on it, and it was a screamer. Rarely flipped, rather stable platform. So if you flipped it, not surprised the AT airboat flipped.

Sucks about your power boat being dead on the ramp. I check mine before we go each time, and still take a Xantrex PowerPack (Jump pack)... just in case!

Old 10-17-2009, 11:09 AM
2manytoyz

Met Dennis at a local pond this morning. Cranked up the Alligator Tours Airboat. Died each time I put it in the water. Dennis suggested leaning out the idle needle a tad, and that seemed to do the trick. He also noted the muffler was a little loose as it moved when I started the motor. Quick turn of the screwdriver, fixed. Ran fine until I smacked into my electric (rescue) boat parked on the shore line. No damage to the electric boat, but I broke the fuel tank mount. I thought the tank mount was plastic, but turns out it's wood. Not as beefy as I had hoped. The mount didn't get a direct impact, but the sudden stop was enough to destroy it. No damage to the hull, which took a glancing blow.

I'll likely make a new mount from Lexan. I have some scrap laying around. Might lower the tank some to help with the CG.

I couldn't let a loose gas tank end my day, so gave it another run with it sitting free on the deck. As Murphy would have it, it ran GREAT after that! The only time it flipped is when I pushed it back to shore with the electric boat after the motor died. Drifted pretty good in the turns, and even sharp turns never got it close to going over. A few more tank fulls, the motor should be broken in. I was concerned that it might be a tad small, but now after running it some, believe it's ideally suited for the size/weight boat.

Is it possible there were two versions of this hull design? Dennis even commented mine seemed to be much more stable than his earlier model. I've done no tweaks, stock out of the box.

Sorry no action shots of mine, too busy driving today!

Old 10-17-2009, 02:24 PM
2manytoyz

Upon further inspection, rather easy fix. Slice away the skinny support pieces, which makes the tank support shorter, and stronger. Pics tell the story.

Skinny pieces sliced off with a Dremel.

Before...

After...

Tank mount reassembled. Compare this pic to a stock model. Looks almost the same, but this tank is about an inch shorter.

Should help make the boat more stable. I put a fillet of epoxy on all the joints on the inside of the tank support also. If it fails again, I'll make a custom tank support, otherwise no need to make extra work.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:07 PM
godey
My Feedback: (1)

Does anybody have experience with a brushless conversion yet?

I want to do it and am looking into a good set up (400 size engine?). Not so much looking into speed, rather a longer runtime..

Thanks

Old 06-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Model T

On the Aligator Tours airboat, has anyone made this a brushless boat yet? I would like to know what size motor was used. I will make a guess at it I am sure, but why reinvent the wheel kind of thing. The lipo pack may not fit inside the hull, but I could place a water tight package on deck under the seats I am thinking.

Any insites?

Thanks, Gary
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 PM
res3567

My thoughts......remove the fuel tank housing assembly and get another radio box specific to the AT or an equivilant. I am not EP savvy at all.... I am a nitro guy, but have limited exp. with the AT. I would use this radio box as a start....since it is watertight and should house your lipo and esc.....just my .02 worth.....
ORIGINAL: Model
On the Aligator Tours airboat, has anyone made this a brushless boat yet? I would like to know what size motor was used. I will make a guess at it I am sure, but why reinvent the wheel kind of thing. The lipo pack may not fit inside the hull, but I could place a water tight package on deck under the seats I am thinking.

Any insites?

Thanks, Gary
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 PM
heathdspain

ive got the airboat i love it only thing if flips real easy just take it slow when turning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.