Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Comp ARF Spitfire build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Comp ARF Spitfire build

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Rebel Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Comp ARF Spitfire build

Hajo,

Did you get any instructions with your kit? I could use whatever info you have on the Spitty, since I didn't get that with my kit. I need the CG location too. I will most likely use a DA-85 since they weigh 5 1/2 pounds RTF. And I think it is set up for the DA-85 as far as length goes. What Mark are you doing? How did you do your tailwheel? Do you have templates to cut out the gear doors? Sorry about all the questions.

Thanx Rebel
Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM
CaptainFlynn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rebel,

There were no instructions whatsoever in the kit. My rep told me that a manual should be released around August and that he would be mailing it to me. No news yet. I believe there is not much of a manual needed anyways. As for the CG location, I assume that it is the same as for the old FC Spitfire which is the first panelline that spreads from the wing root all over to the tip.

My Mark comes close to a VII now, as I found a "sharp" spare rudder from my old kit and the Recon Model I have painted now was an MKVII. I am sure you mean the strut covers, as the spit didnt have real gear doors. There were no covers in the kit but I made them from alloy. I'll do a picture and post it here.

Tailwheel was used to be retractable, but I found it too difficult to get that sorted in the fuselage so I ordered a comp arf tailwheel and mounted that with plenty of hysol on a wooden plate on the correct location.

Cheers

Hajo
Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 AM
Rebel Flyer

Hajo,

I would love to do a Recce version of the Spitty , but I don't want to modify the lower cowl (bigger bulge), and the wind screen without the frame. I would like to do a pointy rudder though. I want to do an American Spitfire but don't have anything picked out yet. I have the plans for a pointy rudder from a Yellow Spitty, but I will have to enlarge it. I suppose the strut doors are the same shape from Yellow also. I have the engine narrowed down to a DA-85, or a FPE 5.8(95cc) engine. I still need to get a spinner though.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to this build help. There are three other guys it this area that will be ordering the Comp ARF Spitfire soon. I don't know if they will start them right away. I don't see how they couldn't though.

Looking forward to more pics from your build soon.

Thanx

Rebel
Old 10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rebel Flyer

Hajo,

Did you get any instructions with your kit? I could use whatever info you have on the Spitty, since I didn't get that with my kit. I need the CG location too. I will most likely use a DA-85 since they weigh 5 1/2 pounds RTF. And I think it is set up for the DA-85 as far as length goes. What Mark are you doing? How did you do your tailwheel? Do you have templates to cut out the gear doors? Sorry about all the questions.

Thanx Rebel
you didn't get an instruction manual with the comp arf spitfire !!??
Old 10-14-2009, 10:22 PM
Rebel Flyer

I guess the instructions are extra... I didn't get anything with it. The only thing I really need, is patterns for formers. Gear strut patterns. The best way to mount the fixed tailwheel.
Personal ways to mount servos and locations. 3 views would be nice. I don't know what Mark this is, or could be. Cannons??? Or not... How to make the inboard flap work 90 degrees. How to hook up flaps and Ailerons hidden. Are there drawings for a larger pointy rudder?

This is my old Yellow Spitty, I might do a similar paint scheme...

Thanx

Rebel
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48102.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1295181  
Old 10-15-2009, 07:25 AM
warbird_1

I guess the instructions are extra... I didn't get anything with it. The only thing I really need, is patterns for formers. Gear strut patterns. The best way to mount the fixed tailwheel.
Personal ways to mount servos and locations. 3 views would be nice. I don't know what Mark this is, or could be. Cannons??? Or not... How to make the inboard flap work 90 degrees. How to hook up flaps and Ailerons hidden. Are there drawings for a larger pointy rudder?

This is my old Yellow Spitty, I might do a similar paint scheme...

Thanx

Rebel
that's a bunch of BS . i keep saying and some think i'm just complaining but i'm getting sick of these Asian companies sending planes " jets, aerobatic stuff and every other type" over here for us stupid Americans with more money than brains , to buy. how can you sell something without any instructions? i just don't get it. i'm rebuilding a Composite ARF lightning.... i just received a new ,undated set of wings. no problem until i was told that the CG is now in a different place. No updated addendum sheet . sad sad sad . i don't mean to ramble on but it just ticks me off.

Name:	Xv64858.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	1295320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31831.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1295321   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44228.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	1295322  
Old 10-16-2009, 08:37 AM
CaptainFlynn

To be fair with C-ARF I really think that most of the stuff is self explanatory and basic work for modellers building planes of this size, but I agree that patterns for formers or tricky stuff like tailgear instructions should be included even for early production models. As I am not going on competitions, I didnt bother with some of the changes to make my Recce Spit 100% accurate.

I am almost certain that my flap mechanism will probably only give me 75-80 degrees, so I will most likely have to look into that again. Not sure how I'll sort that out yet tho. Anyways, I'll bring the shape of the strut doors to paper and post it here. I promise I'll have more pictures online this weekend as I received my main retracts today.

As for the Rudder, the easiest way would probably be to build a wooden one from scratch. Maybe CARF decides to offer various versions of the canopy / rudder later - I think a lot of customers would appreciate that.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:29 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: Hajo77

To be fair with C-ARF I really think that most of the stuff is self explanatory and basic work for modellers building planes of this size, but I agree that patterns for formers or tricky stuff like tailgear instructions should be included even for early production models. As I am not going on competitions, I didnt bother with some of the changes to make my Recce Spit 100% accurate.

I am almost certain that my flap mechanism will probably only give me 75-80 degrees, so I will most likely have to look into that again. Not sure how I'll sort that out yet tho. Anyways, I'll bring the shape of the strut doors to paper and post it here. I promise I'll have more pictures online this weekend as I received my main retracts today.

As for the Rudder, the easiest way would probably be to build a wooden one from scratch. Maybe CARF decides to offer various versions of the canopy / rudder later - I think a lot of customers would appreciate that.
hajo, i agree 100% with you on the quality of their stuff. it just irritates me that you spend 2,500 bucks on a kit and gear then they give you a mixed , unlabeled bag of hardware and tell you to figure it out . that's my main point. WB_1

Name:	Yw67114.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1295993  
Old 10-16-2009, 12:17 PM
CaptainFlynn

Hey WB1 - you are right this is certainly a point where they could improve.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:34 PM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: Hajo77

Hey WB1 - you are right this is certainly a point where they could improve.
it's strange because the lightning sport jet has a really nice manual with it.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:40 PM
CaptainFlynn

Alright, some more progress on the build. Installing the gear was a pain in the a** because the wheel wells are not in the correct position. Once the gear is retracted, the wheel hub is way out of center of the wheel well and there is no way that a 5,5-6" wheel will fit without major rebuilding. This is quite frustrating and in the current state it is only possible to fit a 5" wheel. Additionally, quite a lot of sanding was necessary to made the gear fit in the wing properly. Bit irritating for unites that were designed for this model.

Will post pictures of the gear installation once its completed.

First, a view of the interior with choke / throttle servo and the fuel tank. I use a 1100 cc Dubro tank which should give me lots of flying time with the 3W.

Name:	Da83626.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	1297531  
Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 PM
CaptainFlynn

Before painting the model, I finished the rudder linkage. You can see the sharp rudder I use to match the model close to a MK VII. I made the rudder itself removable with Robart hinge pins so I can still access the elevator linkage later.

Name:	Fd90892.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	1297534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33927.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	1297535  
Old 10-18-2009, 01:48 PM
CaptainFlynn

The Rudder and Elevator Servos are mounted below the back of the cockpit. I made the cover removable as well. I used a 4mm plywood plate and plenty of hysol to get a tight fit. I did some tests to see if further reinforcements would be necessary but all looks rock solid. The 8711 should do well for the elevator. Rudder is a Futaba 9452.

The cover is made of some srcap plastic parts of a P-51 cockpit

Name:	Eb86757.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1297543   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11912.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	1297544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90821.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	1297545  
Old 10-18-2009, 01:52 PM
CaptainFlynn

The tailwheel unit is from C-ARF and made of fiberglass. I was a bit disappointed about the bad quality, considering how much it costs. I hysoled a 6mm plywood former on the bottom of the fuselage and screwed the tailwheel onto it. As you can see the unit is removable as well. Will need to get a better looking wheel. I took this from the nose leg of an old 40" trainer.

Originally my plan was to make the tailwheel retractable. I have a nice WABO tail retract unit but after some planning, I decided to keep it simple (weight and extra-hassle).

Name:	Qo40828.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1297546   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15734.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1297547   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90844.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	1297548  
Old 10-18-2009, 02:01 PM
CaptainFlynn

This pipe is the "discharger" of the warm air coming out of the tunnel for the exhaust (which reminds me - I didnt post any pictures of that one yet). It will be installed to the bottom of the fuselage and connected to the tunnel later. The diameter is about 5cm I hope this will be enough.

Name:	Ki19163.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1297549  
Old 10-18-2009, 02:04 PM
CaptainFlynn

Here is a picture of the spinner (Krumscheid). Diameter 140mm. As you can see on the pictures, I decided to use the stock exhaust dummies as they do not look as bad as I remembered. I found them in an old box containing some spare parts of my old FC Spitfire

Name:	Hf10341.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	1297550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59148.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1297551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31903.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1297552  
Old 10-18-2009, 02:19 PM
JSZ
My Feedback: (73)

What retracts are you using?
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice to see a Spit taking shape..

My biggest gripe about my FC was how "Fragile" the fuse was. Very light, but I always felt concerned about how thin it was. Is the CA fuse ridgid? I really like the new hinging set up !

Here's my "War Weary" FC Spit ...

Name:	Ay75437.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1297821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36665.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1297822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48885.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1297823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43171.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	1297824  
Old 10-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Rebel Flyer

Hajo,

I am having a go of it with my landing gear also. I have Sierra gear with the sissors and cant quit get them to line up. I think the hole is cut in the wrong position. I wish they were not cut out. I will be exchanging them for a set of struts WITHOUT the sissors tommorrow.
Also found the gear rails to be too high into the wing to get the gear to lock in the up position.
Spinner will be from Sierra with the backplete milled out to allow some air to flow through with a three blade prop.

I FLY,

The fuse is alot stronger than the old Fiberclassics Spitfire. Also alot lighter too. The whole fuse is open. Very strong when you bolt the wings up...

Anyone have a set of exhaust stacks for this plane?

Very nice pics Hajo...Love it.

Rebel
Old 10-19-2009, 07:12 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: IFLYRC-RCU

My biggest gripe about my FC was how ''Fragile'' the fuse was. Very light, but I always felt concerned about how thin it was. Is the CA fuse ridgid? I really like the new hinging set up !

Here's my ''War Weary'' FC Spit ...

really nice looking spit !! did you do all the weathering and paint work? what's FC ?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:23 AM
warbird_1

Hajo,

I am having a go of it with my landing gear also. I have Sierra gear with the sissors and cant quit get them to line up. I think the hole is cut in the wrong position. I wish they were not cut out. I will be exchanging them for a set of struts WITHOUT the sissors tommorrow.
Also found the gear rails to be too high into the wing to get the gear to lock in the up position.
Spinner will be from Sierra with the backplete milled out to allow some air to flow through with a three blade prop.

I FLY,

The fuse is alot stronger than the old Fiberclassics Spitfire. Also alot lighter too. The whole fuse is open. Very strong when you bolt the wings up...

Anyone have a set of exhaust stacks for this plane?

Very nice pics Hajo...Love it.

Rebel
i think the name is kleco . they make scale functional exhaust systems . they could make on up
Old 10-19-2009, 08:54 AM
ZeroDave
My Feedback: (1)

Keleo Creations for exhaust
Old 10-22-2009, 08:53 PM
IFLYRC-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

My biggest gripe about my FC was how ''Fragile'' the fuse was. Very light, but I always felt concerned about how thin it was. Is the CA fuse ridgid? I really like the new hinging set up !

really nice looking spit !! did you do all the weathering and paint work? what's FC ?

FC = Fiberclassics

Yes I painted it many years ago - with spray cans ! Then weathered it a lot to make it look old and beat up.

The plane flies geart btw - on landing, use FULL flaps, not a little bit. Fly it to the ground, don't slow it up too much or you'll chase it on the final flair.

I have the original FC instructions.. kinda funny, not very detailed..... must be a German thing.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:07 AM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Looks like you are doing a great job getting this thing together. Am interested in seeing the gear as it dropped in- what made it not align? Is the hinging on the gear eccentric to help get it out in front of the cg?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:38 AM
warbird_1

ORIGINAL: warbird_1

FC = Fiberclassics

Yes I painted it many years ago - with spray cans ! Then weathered it a lot to make it look old and beat up.

The plane flies geart btw - on landing, use FULL flaps, not a little bit. Fly it to the ground, don't slow it up too much or you'll chase it on the final flair.

I have the original FC instructions.. kinda funny, not very detailed..... must be a German thing.
well you did a bang up job. i wish i could learn to weather like that. i'm always afraid of making it look like a cheap kids toy .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.