Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Scale Boating
Reload this Page >

MACK Model Products Gearbox

Community
Search
Notices
RC Scale Boating Enjoy rc scale boating? Talk about it here.

MACK Model Products Gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 02:30 PM
chief3452

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MACK Model Products Gearbox

I'm not sure if this is in the right section, but I'm looking for info/opinions on MACK Products gearbox. Anyone using them? Pictures of setups? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 AM
mrbassman

Default RE: MACK Model Products Gearbox

Mine worked ok, but was a bit noisy. I took it out, not using it. If interested in it send a PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 AM
rcshipyard

Gears are often a noisy affair. I just installed a nylon gear set originally meant for sailplanes in my WWII destroyer. Very quiet with fairly strong construction. But perhaps not strong enough for racing.

What is the application you are considering gearing?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:19 AM
chief3452

The application would be an 1/8 scale hydroplane using a 4 -stroke .91 engine. It wouldn't be a raceboat, but I was hopeful I could build a unique model with a more realistic exhaust note. The description on MACK's site says it can handle gas engines up to 1.5 ci but I'm doubtful the nylon gears would hold up. Just a pipe dream for now, I guess. Thanks for input, I appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
rcshipyard

The folks at MACK know what they are doing. Perhaps they can refer you to someone who has used that gearbox in a hydroplane setup?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:06 PM
chief3452

I have spoken to them before...the gentleman on the phone was less than enthusiastic about utilizing their gearbox in my setup, but I think if the gears were metal it would work fine. Do you know if their gearbox has bearings or bushings?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:46 PM
rcshipyard

The gearbox you might be referring to (model 1541) appears to be constructed like the other gearboxes with oillte bearings. But I would ask MACK to confirm that. If he was hesitant to recommend it, you may have your answer - you may need a different gear box. Have you posted this question in one of power boat forums. This should be right up their alley.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:40 AM
chief3452

Rcshipyard, thanks for the input on the oilite bearings. Yes, I have posted about this project in RCU and other powerboat forums and was told gearboxes are not practical in a nitro boat...added weight, parasitic driveline drag, etc. It seems most of the nitro enthusiasts are only interested in racing or all out speed, which is not the intent of this project. I did find an interesting setup here http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJJ1&P=Z that might work, it has steel gears and bearings, but I'm not sure 10% overdrive is worth the effort. I realize I am going against the grain on this one, what can I say, I'm a glutton. Thanks again for the info.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:00 AM
rcshipyard

Thanks for asking and for the information. A truck transmission in a boat? Why not. I just mounted Electrifly's sailplane (2.5:1) gear in a new warship.

We don't see too many of our scale boats challenge the physical limits of nylon gears and oillite bearings. But, I can certainly understand why the nitro guys forsake the gearing.