Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
raaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

HI GUYS
IT SEEMS WHEN I'M ONLINE YOUR ALL ASLEEP. MUST BE TO DO WITH HOW FAR DOWN UNDER WE ARE.
MIKE873 AND BRAD THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND I'LL DO MY FIRST FLIGHTS ON THE APC PROPS.I'VE BEEN CATCHING UP ON THE THINGS THAT I HAVNT REED SO FAR AND IT SEEMS I'M ON TARGET.
MY RADIO GEAR I HAVE IS A DX7 AND I THINK I CAN USE THAT WITH A MATCHBOX OR 2.I'VE BOUGHT OVER THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS A FEW WARBIRDS AND COLLECTED JR AND SPECTRUM TRANNYS BUT TO BUY A DX9 IS ABOUT $1000.00 AUS SO THE REASON FOR STAYING WITH  DX7.YOUR THOUGHTS ON DX7 AND MATCHBOX WOULD BE GOOD.I FLY OFF GRASS MOSTLY BUT DONT GET WHAT MIKE SAID ABOUT FOAM INSERTS.I'VE GOT ROBART SCALE WHEELS AND I ALSO GETTING GLENNIS SET FROM WINGSPAN MODELS SOON.
MY B25 WOULD BE FINISHED IF I'D STOP MODIFYING IT BUT IT'S A LOT OF FUN AND I'M HOOKED NOW.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:20 AM
norm

Hello Brad
Hello Raaf

I agree with brad's opinion for power plants and I use the Saito 82's plenty of power. I t may be the best choice for powwer to weight ratio. It seems that Raaf has already the FL70's and I wouls suggest to use the 12 X 6 3 blade props, will reduce vibration and provide the correct power and torque. You need to reach 9600 to 10000 rpm with those engines to obtain the desired torque and thrust to lift this plane with the 12 x 6 3 blade MAS prop.

Good luck,

Normand
Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 AM
CCFPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

raaf

Robart sells optional foam inserts for their wheels that are required for the heaver airplanes. In my opinion they should be included with the wheels, especially the larger wheels.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CCFPILOT

I second that. Robart scale wheels are worthless without the inserts.

Scale WWII birds should be overpowered, mostly because of the nasty runway conditions we have to deal with on takeoff. Someday I might encounter a kit or ARF where the manufacturer recommends a realistically sized engine, but I'm not holding my breath. The designers must all have access to paved runways for their flight testing. Topflite recommends a pair of 46s on a 20 pound airplane. Give me a break.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Heat1960

I agree. I have 2 FL 70's in mine and it just had enough power to get it off a grass runway. Once it is airborne it seemed to have ample power but I would honestly like a little more during takeoff rotation. As far as the Robart wheels go, I have ordered the foam inserts for mine to see if it will run better on the grass during takeoff. I noticed one of the tires became partially detached when I did an inspection just after landing. I am running 13 x 6 APC props on mine and don't plan on putting on the 3 blade props until I am extremely comfortable with it.
Minor details but these little things might be the differance between a good flight and a bad day. To all those that are still building, keep at it as you will be justly rewarded after your first flight.

Calvin.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:21 PM
RCGuy41

CCFPILOT,

I have to disagree with your assesment concerning the OS AX 46 2S engines, I currently have them mounted on my TF B-25 and I'm flying off of grass. Since they are the smallest engines recommended by TF, I can't use a big prop, both engines have 11X8 APC props and get a max 10,500 RPM without leaning them more and over heating them at full power. When I fly at my field, flaps are set at 1/2 and I start my run from the very end and I will use 3/4 of the runway before my bird lifts off the field. After lift off my gear comes up then I turn off my gyro, gain some altitude then start my down wid turn as I'm picking up speed, finally I bring my flaps up and the rest is history. A pair of OS AX 46 2S engines do provide enough power (maybe scale for this size of model) and my bird flies great with that setup. I do have robart retracts and comes in at 20 lbs. I will need to invest in some incerts for my main tires, I have noticed when my bird is sitting on it's mains the tires do flatten some which can cause longer take off runs.

Brad
Old 08-28-2009, 03:04 AM
toreo

I flew with 2 FL70 and 3 blade MAS12Ñ…6 last year. Its more than enough for scale flight in any wather condition, wind, crosswind.

Now i fly with saito 100T with 3blade MAS 13x8 - its perfect sound and best fit into cowl, but little overpower.

Now..I win Russian RC scale competition in semi-scale class in strongest wind !!!
Second times!! last year and now. Yeath!!!!!!!!

self made movable top turret with movable gun, self made bomb bay with selfmade 8 bomb bind, lights. 1 flight i drop 8 bomb, second flight i drop 2 cargo with parashuts.

I love TF B-25!!!
http://forum.rcclub.ru/index.php?sho...=0&#entry30222

http://forum.rcdesign.ru/f82/thread128792-14.html
Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 AM
norm

Toreo ,

You"re the best man, nice plane and better the happiness (craziness) it brings you!

regards,

Normand
Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM
toreo

Thanks Normand! You have a pieces of this victory. You recomended this finest and reliable engine year ago
Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 AM
raaf

HI GUYS
HOPE YOU ARE FLYN OR BUILDING PROJECTS ARE GOING WELL.I HAVE TO ASK A FAVOR OF TOREO IF HE WOULD BE VERY KIND AND LET ME IN ON THE MOVEABLE GUN IN THE TURRET.
I THINK I MAY HAVE IT WORKED OUT BUT SHORE WOULD BE NICE TO A SHOW WINNERS CRAFTMANSHIP.
MY PROGRESS IS OK ITS END OF WINTER AND SUNS OUT MORE SO WE'LL ALL GET FLYN SOON DOWN HERE SOON
I'VE GOT PLENTY OF BIRDS TO FLY AND STILL KEEP WORKING ON MY 25.I ONLY WANT TO DO THIS DETAIL WORK ONCE AND OF COURSE YOU ARE ALL VERY HELPFUL.TILL NEXT TIME
CHEERS RAAF (SHAYNE)
Old 09-07-2009, 08:08 PM
RCGuy41

Shayne,

Check out this build thread here on RCU it covers your questions and provides step by step how too. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_77...tm.htm#7700697 hope this helps, Torreo did a fantastic job and he should also provide some feed back.

Brad
Old 09-08-2009, 01:18 AM
raaf

hi all
many thanks for your info RC41 it is fantastic and i wish when i got my wingspan kits it was layed out like that.i've already installed my kits into my B25 and they are working very well.
For any body that want to buy the kits you will not be sorry.
I think toreo has got his turret guns moving up and down and i'm interested in a look how he set it up.I think i'll get it sorted and if i get stuck i'll yell.

thanks RC41
TILL NEXT TIME
SHAYNE.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:25 PM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

Normand,

I have 5 flights on my B-25 now and it flys great! Question: What fuel are you using? I have the Saito 82's on just muffler presure using Wildcat 2 & 4 cycle 15%. I can only get 9000 rpm using the MAS 12 X 8 X 3. I think I read earlier that you were getting around 9500. I broke the engines in on a stand and run them quite a bit tweaking them. I'm sure they'll break in more but I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing here.

Also, how long of flight times are you getting? I'm getting 8 minutes and that leaves about 10 seconds of my electric fuel pump emptying the tanks (stock tanks). I have good smoke trails out of each engine but any attempt to lean them more decreases RPM (I'm peaking the RPM and then backing off 100 - 200 rpm. The peak is 9000 so I'm running about 8800). I'm running on grass and it takes a lot of runway to get in the air.

I can't believe how much easier this thing flys vs some of my 60 size warbirds. Takeoffs are a non-event and once lined up on final, this thing has a very predicatble sink rate with full flaps. I land with just a touch of power and flair. It makes me look good (saying a lot).

Dave
Old 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
krproton

Hello everybody.

I haven't been following this thread as closely as I was at first, but I have been looking in from time - to - time and reading most of your posts. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the kind words.

I returned my B-25 (the one photographed in my original posts) to the company, but have another on the workbench. I haven't made much (any) progress lately (house projects and summer flying), but will post pics as I make progress (but I don't plan to get going on it again until later in the Fall). This one will be a re - cover in aluminum MonoKote.

Well, just wanted to check in and say hello. Keep up the good work everybody.

Tim
Old 09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
norm

Dave,

I was in front of my computer friday pw... great plane it is the B-25. I use Coolpower 15% full synthetic. I also have VP30 perry pumps and run my engine straight pipe and get 9600 to 9700 rpm with the MAS 12 x 8 3 blade and get approximately the same time, actually I fly total; 7 minutes and get about 10 out of a tank.

Running with muffler pressure give you a rich run at the top of your tank and lean at the bottom of the tank resulting in various but "neglectable" power setting. I also run my engine straight pipe, ie: no muffler for esthetic reasons as well as the thrill of hearing louder engines. For explaning the increased RPM, I think that it is a combination of both, pumped engines and no mufflers give those engines more power.

As far as the fuel I cannot say wildcat fuel is not good, in fact I like the smell of it, but I would not run any other fuel than coolpower in my engines. I used Wildcat fuel here before but for some reason in our climate the bearings would rust faster if I was not adding after-run oil. Coolpower has after-run oil in its mix and protect my bearing better over the winter season, 3 years vs 1 season on 23 engines...that is all I can say I of noticeable performance, I guess I just prefer coolpower.

Normand
Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Normand!

I have had some rust issues so perhaps I'll try Coolpower. I have the VP30 pumps and had initially set everything up with them. I then switched to the mufflers because I had never run pumps before and part of me just didn't want to introduce another unknown (to me) in a brand new mutli engine bomber that I had no experience with (first mutli engine airplane for me). Now that I've got 5 flights in, I'm feeling much better so perhaps I'll now switch back to the pumps.

I would really like another 600 - 700 rpm out of these engines as I think it will definitely help on the takeoffs! On my second flight, I taxied to the far end of our field and gave it full power and we heard.... nothing! [] The mufflers did a really good job... we could see the plane moving and the exhaust coming out but we couldn't hear it until it got closer. I think those mufflers have to go but I certainly don't want anyone saying it's too loud (noise reasons).

Dave
Old 09-15-2009, 04:09 PM
toreo

ORIGINAL: raaf

HI GUYS
HOPE YOU ARE FLYN OR BUILDING PROJECTS ARE GOING WELL.I HAVE TO ASK A FAVOR OF TOREO IF HE WOULD BE VERY KIND AND LET ME IN ON THE MOVEABLE GUN IN THE TURRET.
I THINK I MAY HAVE IT WORKED OUT BUT SHORE WOULD BE NICE TO A SHOW WINNERS CRAFTMANSHIP.
MY PROGRESS IS OK ITS END OF WINTER AND SUNS OUT MORE SO WE'LL ALL GET FLYN SOON DOWN HERE SOON
I'VE GOT PLENTY OF BIRDS TO FLY AND STILL KEEP WORKING ON MY 25.I ONLY WANT TO DO THIS DETAIL WORK ONCE AND OF COURSE YOU ARE ALL VERY HELPFUL.TILL NEXT TIME
CHEERS RAAF (SHAYNE)
it was simple. 2-3 days.
start of buliding of top turet on
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=8615383
turret movable right -left and up down make magical effect on spectators and judges.

lf you wish, i can upload additional photo and plan for laser cut of this turret, but late september. now i in france on holiday.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 AM
raaf

HI TOREO

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IS HOW YOU SET UP THE GUNS ON THE SERVO SO AS THEY GO UP AND DOWN.
I HAVE GOT MINE TO DO THAT BUT I'M NOT SATISFIED THAT I'VE DONE THE BEST I CAN.
WOULD LIKE YOUR ADVICE ON THE WAY YOU GOT YOURS TO WORK.

TILL NEXT TIME
RAAF.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:49 PM
toreo

my top turet with photo and draw.
this is not pdf file - rename to cdr.
details has named from A to G consequense from down to top.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:50 PM
toreo

my top turet with photo and draw.
this is not pdf file - rename to cdr.
details has named from A to G consequense from down to top.
part A and ring B is constantly glued to fuselage. Another parts - for movable turret.
i am planned to use 4 pairs magnets, but 3 magnets is too strong for safety remove movable turret from fuselage. Now i use 2 pairs - it is more than enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35953.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1286977   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43654.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1286978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56051.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1286979   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ha78510.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1286980   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx23135.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1286981   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jz39574.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1286982   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91105.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1286983   Click image for larger version

Name:	On44583.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	1286984  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47078.jpg
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1286986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89486.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	1286987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af90402.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1286988  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Zx72213.pdf (30.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 08:00 AM
elojim

Hi guys,

what are your recommandations about Rx battery ? What do you think about using LIPO ?
Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

The instructions reference using a 4.8V, 4200 mAh Hydrimax (tower's brand). It weighs 10 oz.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMTX3&P=0

I used a pair of 2000 mAh Hydrimax packs, 4.8V, because I used two recievers and two on/off switches and basically plugged half the servos into one receiver and half into the other. My two batteries together weighed a bit less- 8.6oz. In any event, with those two batteries all the way up in the nose under the gunner's platform, a pair of OS 55AX engines (with heavy brass prop hubs), fixed landing gear with the gear doors screwed into the "closed" position, and half a pound of lead under the gunner's platform next to the batteries, it balanced somewhere between 4.5 and 5" aft of the LE at the fuse sides. Probably around 4.7".

I'm sure it wouldn't be a good idea to go with anything less than 4000 total capacity, as that puppy has a boatload of servos in it.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
cobi.p

i use 2 pack of FROMECO A-123 6.6 volt with WOLVERINE switch , after my crash no less then this
Old 10-20-2009, 07:26 AM
andywakem

cobi,

Do you have pics of your receiver/battery swithc set-up?
Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Gutaaaooo

Hey guys, sorry to jump in like this, but I really have a limited window of opportunity here, so as simple as it can be (If it can :P)

What would the best engine for this bird be??? OS 81FS, or saito FA82???
Is the OS really a lot less messy? Will it fly this plane with authority even out of short grass?
Does the Saito offer that much more power and reliability???
I can get both of them for around $250, so price is not really a isue for me right now

Tks Guys!

P.S., I swear i tried reading thought the thread,but its to cam long! I will before the plane and engines arrive here though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.